News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Chris_Hufnagel

Caddie of the Year
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »
We have spent some time on these pages discussing caddies - the good ones, the bad ones - how a good caddie can make a wonderful golf experience even better, while a bad one can take away from the most special of days.  

I had a great day yesterday and an even better caddie and for that I nominate GCA's own Tim Bert for "Caddie of the Year."

As many of you know, we are in the midst of a long summer of long Hikes for charity - all of this started by Jim Colton and his Hundred Hole Hikes.

Yesterday, Howard Riefs and I completed our HHH at the Kingsley Club.  Last year Tim Bert completed the Hike with me (along with fellow GCAer's Andrew Lewis, Matt Schmidt, and Bill Seitz), but this year he wasn't able to commit to the Hike.  As luck would have it, Tim along with Bill and Jud Tigerman, were at the club this weekend for our Member/Member.  They all decided to stay an extra day to be there for the Hike - and for that I am very grateful - we had an amazing two days at a place we all love very much.

Given our tee time of 5.15a, Tim knew that getting a caddie would be tough - so he volunteered to loop for me.  I anticipated it just being for the first round, but the first 18 turned in 36, then 54, 72, and you get the picture.  In the end, Tim caddied for me for all 126 holes - I am just guessing but I would wager that Tim maybe the first caddie to loop for the same golfer for the entire day of a HHH...

It goes without saying that Tim was a great caddie and made my Hike all the more memorable.  Tim was uniquely qualified for the task yesterday - certainly over-qualified for the man he had to loop for.  

Tim won last year's HHH Ferebee Trophy - an award that goes to the hiker that goes above and beyond and best exemplifies the spirit and intent of the Hundred Hole Hike.  Tim is also the author of one of the GCA's definitive threads on The Kingsley Club -  

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37381.0.html

So, I don't think I could have had anyone better on the bag.

There are many highlights from my Hike with Tim, but perhaps my favorite was this exchange on our 115th hole of the day.  By this point, I had converted over to my set of T. Stewart hickories, I had lost about five pounds, changed shirts four times, socks six times, and shoes three times.  I was quickly losing interest (truthfully, already lost some interest), probably in some sort of early dehydration, and in desperate need of a shower and a beer.  

Here is how our exchange went when I tried to pull a club for an approach shot...

CH:  Just give me the Spade Mashie.
TB:  It looks more like a Mashie to me...
CH:  Spade Mashie.
TB:  I like the Mashie.

I could do nothing more than laugh...

Here are some photos from a great day for a great cause with a great friend along for the walk...

From our last nine holes together, by this point I had dropped to just four clubs - back to the modern clubs as well - 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron (on Tim's insistence), and putter.  By the way, he was right to bring along the 8...

Tim just before his seventh and last trek up the hill between #12 and #13

Tim snapping a quick photo of me on the tee of our 126th hole, waiting for the group in front to clear...

My second to last putt of the day - Tim pulling for me to make it...

Tim and me on the first tee at Kingsley, right before we started our 100th hole together.  Note the fact that Tim caddied the entire 126 holes in pants, a cotton t-shirt under his polo, and one pair of Kentwool socks...

Finished - 126 in the books, great memories, and a lot of money for a great cause...

It is important to note - perhaps the most important thing to note - that not only did Tim carry my bag and me for the whole day - that instead of asking for a tip at the end of the seventh round, he made a great donation to the Traverse Bay Children's Advocacy Center on my behalf.

Tim, thanks for a great day...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:05:22 PM by Chris Hufnagel »

Emile Bonfiglio

Re: Caddy of the Year
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jud_T

Re: Caddy of the Year
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
Very impressive stuff.  Management was concerned for Tim's well being but the only way we were getting that bag off his shoulder was to beat him senseless.  He claims he only did it because he'd been hitting it so poorly all weekend and they were in a groove,  but I'm not buying it.  Props are also due to Chris' better half who kept up with the speedy duo for 108 holes and only bailed when her knee became too painful to carry on.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt Schmidt

Re: Caddie of the Year
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
Glad to hear someone found a use for Tim this weekend - he was useless as a best ball partner!!

Well done guys! 

Neil Johnston

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
I thought my caddie lasting 82 holes was a great performance, but this kicks it up a notch. Great job.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:30:52 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
Was that Tim in the news clip?

I had Keegan Bradley's caddie Pepsi for the last 11 holes yesterday, which was cool, but would've gladly traded that for a round with Tim.

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
Chris - Thanks for the kind words. You are very gracious with your comments as always.

You were the star of the show. You swung the clubs and raised the money for charity.  Jill was incredible as well. She was supportive the whole way through and she played a critical role in keeping your spirits high and in keeping things moving.  I'm just glad I could help out in a year that my back and my game didn't feel up to the challenge.

Congratulations to all the hikers that have completed their rounds and best of luck to all those with hikes coming up.

Keith Grande

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
Well done!  Perhaps Bubba Watson should read this thread....

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »
Well done!  Perhaps Bubba Watson should read this thread....

First comment as a member and he takes on Bubba...welcome to the board Keith!
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Yeah, but can he read a putt?

Robert Kimball

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
Chris, great bump and run from above the hole (on the news video)!

What a great charity, and you are getting some serious pub -- I heard them talking about it on the Golf Channel this morning.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
I had this conversation at least three times on Monday:

Me to Kingsley staff:  "What's the latest on Chris?"

Kingsley staff:  "He's a machine. Already on hole number XXX. And, Tim is still on the bag."

Me: "Still?"

Kingsley staff:  "We keep telling him to step aside.  He won't." 

Simply amazing job by Team Hufnagel -- Chris, Jill and Tim!

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:24 AM »
Tim, lunch is on me.  Call me at 743-6050.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
My dad and his buddy did HHH at Stonewall where their caddy did the full 101 holes with a bag!
Very impressive.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
I probably did Tim a disservice by only posting one photo of him with my bag – the majority of photos taken were done on the last nine of the day when I went to just four clubs.  The first 115 holes Tim carried a bag.  I will concede that when I switch over to six hickories in a canvas carry bag I did see him flash a quick smile...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back