News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

Do you look back and squint at design or shaping?
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
Here is a recent Plein Air painting I completed at Cal Club.  I squint and or blur my eyes a lot to help
create stronger paintings.

A serious question to shapers and designers.  Or just to us Joe Blow golf architecture lovers trying to understand why you love of hate a hole so much.

As shapes are roughed in, do you go back a number of yards and squint?  I believe it helps you take in the whole scene and keeps you for focusing just one one element you may be working on.  IE.  To get overall feel of shapes and how they fit within the landscape.  Be it bunkers, mounds, horizon lines, swales etc...  Asking youself... Are they overwhelmed by whats around them?  Do they strike a strong enough pose and draw your eye just right due to the contrast they impose?

In drawing and painting, squinting is a very helpful way to make your design stronger.  By squinting your eyes as you look at the subject, you can eliminate a lot of the detail, making it much easier to see simple shapes and values.  During construction you probably want to blur out a lot of the peripheral stuff that won't be part of the final product anyways...You’ll notice the shadows get darker and the highlights get lighter, which as a bonus can lead to more defined shapes.  As with Artwork, Golf Design with great color/value contrast is very visually appealing – it sometimes makes the difference between a good work of art, and a great work of art.

And Secondly... have you built great features that are more or less the equivalent of Plein Air painting.  Without prior planning or intent and working and creating directly in the field, choosing your subject on site, reacting to the forms around and creating them rapidly, Plein Air paintings are generally done in one session." 

Ben Baldwin

Re: Do you look back and squint at design or shaping?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
WOW....You have some serious talent!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »
Now I can't wait for the rain to let up here and try out this technique!

Too bad the architect just hit the road this morning, or I would be having him out there trying it too. I'll do some practice squinting around the apartment complex to get a hang of what you are talking about.

Hope you're well, Josh...it's been far too long since we've visited.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »
I feel like I am sitting at the feet of the master!

Hi Josh....great post!
the pres

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
Josh:

I have never really thought about the squinting part of it before, but I do, in fact, do that.

Guys are asking me all the time why I don't wear sunglasses out on site and I have always said I prefer to see without them.  Now I know why!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:58 PM »
First of all marvelous painting I second the talent remark.
Secondly, squint all the time during practice rounds especially when trying to determine lines off tees etc..thought is was just me and my  aging eyes????

john_stiles

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
I usually squint, especially on close up views. 

But I hate soft fuzzy pictures and love soft fuzzy paintings.  Go figure.

As to looking back,  I  ALWAYS LOOK BACK and ACROSS on  Raynor courses.  It is one of my favorite things to do at Raynors.

It seems many green sites are at the end of the land form, or continue on with the land form.  There are several examples at Fishers and other courses like Lookout Mountain. Yeamans seems to have few as well.  These are very much large constructed forms and you really don't notice too much until you look back across....or you go long over the green ! 

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:07:51 AM »
Josh - When painting/drawing I often do the same. Another trick I learned in school was to turn my work upside down, so I could focus solely on my composition and not the details. The putting it on the wall and standing on the other side of the room trick also helped, but I suppose you do this a bit already since you use an easel outdoors... I would imagine that is the reason why you find yourself squinting.

On site I haven't caught myself squinting to much, as the site I'm working on now has so much monotone soils I often find it hard to make out shaping details from a ways back anyways. However, I will sometimes try to blur things when I'm concentrating on a line like long falling angle of a bunker line or horizon line. More often though, I find myself using my hands to cover up certain shapes and to try position in a way to mimic possible alternative lines and try them out in a sense before roughing in something with dirt... there are also a few tricks I have come up with using a digital camera or camera phone to experiment with prior to making changes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
Ah, now here is a discussion at an interesting intersection of fine arts and applied arts, and we are lucky enough to have some talented gents batting this concept around.  This is where I like to hang out like a bug on the wall and just listen to these guys compare notes and techniques  doing art in the dirt, and art on the canvas.  Certainly the field of GCA had some very talented individuals that crossed the applied and fine arts line with great creative results; like Mike Strantz and Des Muirhead. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back