News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Merion set up for the final round??
« on: June 16, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
I certainly do not know, but would to see a change to easier pin placements and potentially lower scores.

The 18th yesterday was sadistic.

It would bring more players into contention.  And force the pros into a different mind-set.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Garland Bayley

Re: Merion set up for the final round??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »

This is nonsense. It's a golf hole. It is the responsibility of the player to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes that he can. Par is irrelevant. Are you claiming that it was sadistic, because the arbitrary number 4 was assigned to it as par? The average score for the hole was 4.7. So it in essence was a par 4.7 hole for this tournament. If you want to round off to whole numbers, it is a "par" 5, which is more realistic than the arbitrary assignment of 4.

Actually rounding off the averages to whole numbers makes #5 and #18 "par" 5s. Therefore, the course really is a par 72, and Lefty is at -7. The eagle he made at 18 on Friday may prove to be pretty important. ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
I certainly do not know, but would to see a change to easier pin placements and potentially lower scores.

It would bring more players into contention. 

WHY would it bring more players into contention ?

Are there not a dozen players or more in contention ?

And force the pros into a different mind-set.

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
Seems to me that there are plenty of players in contention...or at least lots of guys throwing up on themselves.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
+2 wins.

Day or Mahan by the looks of things.
Next!

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »
+2 wins.

I think you're right on +2 being the winner. I'm going with Rose or Day. IMO, Phil is way too prone to disaster to pull this off.

None of these guys are reminding me of Nicklaus or Faldo or Hogan at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:48:11 PM by Brian Hoover »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »
+2 wins.

I think you're right on +2 being the winner. I'm going with Rose or Day. IMO, Phil is way too prone to disaster to pull this off.

None of these guys are reminding me of Nicklaus or Faldo or Hogan at the moment.

Day has shown that he's a stud in the majors but I agree, nobody is showing much killer instinct. If it stays like this Johnny will be in rare form in another 90 minutes or so.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
+2 wins.

Score was right on... You had the right guy though, Brian . Great day of golf though and a deserving winner.
Next!

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
+2 wins.

Score was right on... You had the right guy though, Brian . Great day of golf though and a deserving winner.

Rose seemed to channel his inner Faldo with his play over the last two holes.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

This is nonsense. It's a golf hole. It is the responsibility of the player to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes that he can. Par is irrelevant. Are you claiming that it was sadistic, because the arbitrary number 4 was assigned to it as par? The average score for the hole was 4.7. So it in essence was a par 4.7 hole for this tournament. If you want to round off to whole numbers, it is a "par" 5, which is more realistic than the arbitrary assignment of 4.

Actually rounding off the averages to whole numbers makes #5 and #18 "par" 5s. Therefore, the course really is a par 72, and Lefty is at -7. The eagle he made at 18 on Friday may prove to be pretty important. ;)
Acessible pins create more opportunities for wider stroke number swings ... and that is more interesting.  Sunday's pin position at 18 proves my point.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »

Acessible pins create more opportunities for wider stroke number swings ... and that is more interesting.  Sunday's pin position at 18 proves my point.

Your comment seems illogical, and counter-intuitive. Any proof of your claim (e.g. hard numbers pro and con)?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ChipOat

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
Carl,

There are more difficult hole locations on #18.  Right front is the most difficult.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back