News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Why aren't the best players in the world
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »
 trying to either drive # 10 or to the right of # 10, even if they hit it in the rough to the right ?

Some guys are hitting the area with a 3-wood.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Why aren't the best players in the world
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:30 AM »
Day 1, I thought the same thing with that left pin, but I have seen a bunch the last two days go for the front edge. The guy from Florida Billy Horschel springs to mind. Reality is these guys can hit a target the size of a wheel barrel from 88 yards with a wedge from a fairway lie.

Amazed Michelson hit 4 wood, 4 wood at 18. He got a tough break because that second shot was amazing.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:55:51 AM »
Pat, we watched about 27 golfers play the 10th yesterday -- we missed the last 3 groups -- and I would say 3/4 tried for just that play: flog it down in the right rough just short of the green. The remainder laid back in the fairway. Only saw one golfer (Els) make the green apron; nobody from the groups we watched drove the green.

What absolutely made that hole yesterday was the flag location: tucked behind a small ridge. This ridge ran perpendicular to the typical flog miss location (short right in the rough) and gave golfers fits. Very hard to get close enough for a gimme birdie. I think the hole needed rough but it didn't need much -- just enough to take away spin control for that flog miss.

Those who laid back tended to come in with the low-spinner wedge but they could not control that shot once the ball landed. Some ended up way long, some way short. I think the better strategy was to flog it down there and hope for birdie but settle for par.

I wish the USGA had ShotLink -- just to see it on this hole would have been quite illuminating.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »
Mark & Mike,

It seemed that the guys who hit the fairway near the green had easy birdies and the guys who hit the rough easy pars with birdie potential.

If you lay back and your tee shot finds the rough, will you change your mind the next day ?

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
Maybe they're trying too hard to out-think the golf course?  ???

I was amazed that Tiger chose to lay up and I think that was the turning point in his round and tournament.

He came to the 10th leaking oil a bit but at +5 still very much in it. It was obvious- or should have been- that he needed something to jump start his round and get him closer to even par. So at the perfect risk-reward opportunity he chooses to play it safe and proceeds to blow a wedge way long and three putt. End of Open for him.

The course presented him the chance for a dramatic swing and he looked the other way.

Puzzling.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
Pat, based on what I saw the correct play was to just flog it down there. It seemed there could have been some things regarding fairway lines and rough/fringe heights that could have created a better balance as well as more interesting golf, at least based on that one hole location.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
The short answer lies in the long grass.

With the rough short left pushed out a bit (I assume) it does not addord a decent angle for a logical shot shape to work its way onto the green. The shape of the hole caslls for a massive hook or a sky ball that carries 285 and stops quickly. Neither particularly good options.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »
I was amazed at how many players dumped their second shots in the left greenside bunker on Friday.  Lots of them missed the fairway left (trying, in some cases, to drive the green), then couldn't get enough club on the ball to reach the green.

WW

Jason Thurman

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
If that sign next to the tee said it was a par 3, would everyone's strategy change? Certainly 280 isn't too far to be called a par 3 in a US Open.

I think part of the reason for the somewhat overconservative play is the hole being labeled a par 4. When a hole is listed as a par 4, the default "smart play" becomes to lay up while the "aggressive play" is to go after the green. I see this at my home course. Our 300 yard home hole was originally designed as a 251 yard par 3 back in 1923. Today, the older members sometimes lament these young guys who bomb it at the green and the way that "equipment makes it play differently than it was designed." Little do they know, the green was designed to be reached from the tee.

The other part is the angle. It swings so hard from right to left that it's obviously gonna be hard to stop a driver or 3w on the green. I think in turn that makes going for the green seem like a low percentage play, but in reality, you're probably more likely to chip your second to within 10 feet than you are to throw an 80 yard wedge to the same distance to make birdie.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
Golfers were reaching the green with three woods.

The play is to the right, not the left, if you don't hit the fairway/green

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
Pat, based on what I saw the correct play was to just flog it down there.

Well, I could be wrong.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
Reality is these guys can hit a target the size of a wheel barrel from 88 yards with a wedge from a fairway lie.

and the rough too! Wow!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
If Phil wins, they'll put a plaque there.

That as one of the most amazing shots I've ever seen

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
He big timed it right there. Agreed: historically good - if he can close the deal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back