News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

12-hole course
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
Would you play a 12-hole course with regulation holes? I'm thinking something like two par-5s, three par-3s and seven par-4s or something like that. I have a few people seriously kicking the idea around. Wanted the tree house's thoughts on if you would play something like that?

David_Tepper

Re: 12-hole course
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
Shiskine GC, possibly the most famous 12-hole course in the world:

http://www.shiskinegolf.com

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
Thanks, David.  ;D

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
Absolutely -- and Shiskine is a great example of a course with merit that's unconventional.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37937.0.html

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
Thanks, Phil. I tried to dig before posting, but I'm no good. Much appreciated.

Paul Gray

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
I actually think 12 is nearer to the perfect number but 18 became the status quo and therefore wonder whether 12 holes isn't now commercial suicide. 9 holes with two genuinely different sets of tees per hole and a driving range would strike me as the way to go but that's just the view of someone that's never invested a penny of his own money in a course.

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ken Moum

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
Would you play a 12-hole course with regulation holes? I'm thinking something like two par-5s, three par-3s and seven par-4s or something like that. I have a few people seriously kicking the idea around. Wanted the tree house's thoughts on if you would play something like that?

If going to 12 holes was done to shorten the time it takes to play from the despicable five hours some people takes, then HELL NO I WON'T PLAY IT.

The trouble with that concept is that those 12-hole rounds will still involve lots of standing around waiting for some a-hole to get ready to hit his ball.

If, on the other hand, it was done to create a better golf course on a piece of property that couldn't squeeze in 18 holes, sure I'd play it.  Maybe we could play 24 a day that way.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back