News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

This Presentation of Merion Reminds Me...
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »
1. That the individual Par of a hole is irrelevant to its playing strategy. Everything, except the 13th, is a solution of "4," and 4 is a quality result on every hole except that one. Much like the Road Hole, the 4th at Riviera, 8 at Oakmont, these presentations of 3,5,9, 17 and 18 are half-par installations. And their "half-parredness" is balanced by the availability of 3s on 1,7, 8,10,11 and the "2" available at the aforementioned 13th...further balanced on the high side in that #s2 and 4 don't offer the "4s" as a fait accompli.

2.  Contour defends more compellingly, more exactingly than hazard.  Constant worry about distance control, and where to miss so as to complete the hole in only two more shots, is the thing that makes creme de la creme competition to watch and stimulating golf to play.

3. It makes for hellacious national tournament logistics, but these venerated clubs which are tight and boutique properties just drip with history that much more than sites which don't have that feel.

4.  While individual slopes command individual putts, if I was vexed between reads, I would trust the one that goes to the West.

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Nigel Islam

Re: This Presentation of Merion Reminds Me...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
Well said. I just love contour on putting surfaces. And I noticed the fact that individual par seemed to be irrelevant yesterday too.

danielfaleman

Re: This Presentation of Merion Reminds Me... New
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
A golf course of its place. Gotta' love those false-fronts too...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:27:29 PM by danielfaleman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back