News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Is the silver lining at Merion
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »
the chance that the powers that be in golf can discover/rediscover the importance of tilt in providing a challenge?

Despite supersoft ,minimal wind conditions, the course is holding its own.

The greens are running quite a bit slower than the target stimp of 13.5 (as usual as I've never thankfully yet to see the USGA hit their quoted targets ::) ::) ::) ::))
yet are providing a great putting challenge.

I'd love to see the firmness return when it dries up and the greens remain this speed.
Firmer greens would accentuate the tilt, and place a premium on properly shaping the approaches curve and trajectory.
They're cutting the fairways higher-no one's even talking about it.
Why not the greens?-would go a long way to promote sustainability and encourage more tilt and LESS butchering(tilt removal) of classic design, while promoting more fun
and use of the more interesting parts of the greens, while also providing a more varied test of speed and green reading skills.

And Kudos to the USGA for returning to Merion
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:53:55 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

Re: Is the silver lining at Merion
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
I'm with you Jeff, but I do not see the silver lining. If the course dries up and green speeds DO reach 13+, the viewing public, specifically all the "sticks" at most clubs, will simply cry for faster greens ALL THE TIME at their home course.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
I'm with you Jeff, but I do not see the silver lining. If the course dries up and green speeds DO reach 13+, the viewing public, specifically all the "sticks" at most clubs, will simply cry for faster greens ALL THE TIME at their home course.

Agreed somewhat.
By silver lining, I meant hopefully people would see greens could run at reasonable speeds and provide interesting golf, and the course not yield crazy low scores.
Of course it could be argued that stupid high rough is holding scores in check, and I would agree that drives up the AVERAGE score, but the fact that no one is taking it really deep (including those in every fairway unaffected by rough) tells me green tilt, not speed is a great defense against low scores,all while providing compelling, interesting, fun golf.
My dream would be everything drying out and firming up and the green speeds remaining reasonable (but that probably won't happen and you will probably be right)

My real dream is that the USGA would stop quoting stupid,unrealistic  stimpmeter targets.
In the last 3 years I've heard/read from USGA officials 15, 14.5, 14 and this year 13.5 as "targets"

What positive affects could that possibly have on sustainability , fun, and architecture  in golf?, to say nothing of its effect on "While we're young"
They haven't sniffed those numbers, and if you really needed to hit those targets to test the best players, you need to pick different venues.(and the venues aren't the problem)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:09:20 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
Seriously, can ANYTHING positive come from US Open setups??? I say no way. Only bad can come from this.

I mention the "sticks" because they have a disproportionate amount influence in most clubs. Fellow members are somewhat intimidated by their golfing prowess, and they usually have fathers who are (or were) leaders of the club. They see high rough and say fine, our course needs more defense. They see new Tiger tees and want some built at their course. They hear 13.5 on the stimp and they KNOW that their greens should run that fast, if only the superintendent would not baby the course...

We held the sticks at bay at my home course because the Greens Chair who preceded me is a real player (former club champ who played in the US Am and his brother is a tour player) and I can play a bit myself... but it is amazing what the average stick demands.

I though about a possible silver lining. Look at what they had to do to Merion to create a suitable test for the pros. I dream that this would lead to a serious discussion about a ball rollback. But I know that will never happen.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:47:29 PM by Bill Brightly »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »
the chance that the powers that be in golf can discover/rediscover the importance of tilt in providing a challenge?

Olympic Club had plenty of tilt last year and the players didn't like it.   Maybe you mean tilt on the greens.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »

Olympic Club had plenty of tilt last year and the players didn't like it.   Maybe you mean tilt on the greens.

greens

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
Good post.   Jack Nicklaus in "Golf My Way' said essentially the same thing. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:10:16 AM »
So Kelly T. on the Golf channel mentions she spoke with the Merion Superintendant this morning.
She asked what the greens were running. He said it was a "state secret" and that he couldn't tell her.
That's a very good policy.

Now why can't we get Mike Davis and other USGA types to quit quoting high target stimpmeters(15,14.5, 13.5) that are in my opinion pie in the sky numbers.
How about a statement that says "we are going to maintain the greens at a firmness and  speed appropriate to suitably challenge the players given  the contours of the greens and expected weather conditions "

Dean Stokes

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »
Jeff you are so right. It is starting to sound like school kids arguing in the playground about what the score is! In fact it is getting boring. Who gives a hoot what the stimp is.....just go and play. If these are 12.5/13 as keeps getting quoted then I would like to see them at 9/10.....really throw these guys off. We would now see who can adapt and play any kind of game - the tournament is becoming more abut the course and the set up than the play. I would go as far as to say Mike Davis is becoming a damn celebrity! Up until a few years ago I don't think I had ever seen a tournament director/executive - they should be like children.....seen and not heard ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back