News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Re: Mike DeVries+Tasmania=King Island Links
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »
Mark,

Spare us the Xenophobia.  Would you rather have a local architect or the best guy for the job?  Why not reserve judgement until you see the finished product?  I'm willing to wager that you'll like it. 

Xenophobia?  Please.  The only American I am afraid of is Jonathan Becker, who set a standard for virility on his brief trip here several months ago that Australian men will never live up to.  I want the best person for the job.   I just find it odd that King Island, heretofore previously only known for the production of fine but overrated and inconsistent cheese, has 2 or 3 golf courses on the go with one of them being designed by someone 99% of club members in Australia would not have heard of.  The fact that he is down there in the middle of winter says much.

That is if you can get beyond your apparent nationalistic bias.
That's right - I dropped fifty grand at St Andrews Beach only because Mike Clayton was involved.  If only he had stayed away, I might have joined the National instead and saved forty grand.

Mark, any time you want to make what I'm sure would be a very long trek to Michigan for some very fine golf, I'm sure there is no shortage of GCAers that would be thrilled at the opportunity to host you at Kingsley to see Mike's work for yourself.  Personally, I never thought I'd join a private club until I visited Kingsley.  And while the phenomenal staff and the membership were a big part of that decision, it's the golf course that's the star. 

Bill,

Assuming the vow of poverty I have taken as a student is lifted this year, I have to get back to that part of the world in the next couple of years - I have cousins in Kitchener-Waterloo over the border I haven't seen for 20 years.  I just hope Pat Mucci can organise a dinner for morons at the same time.  :)

That's a pretty strong recommendation you gave - it's the same reason I joined St Andrews Beach.

Matt Day

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 12:58:28 AM »
it's a shame Richard Chamberlain couldn't of continued his involvement in some capacity. Involved from the start and did a lot of the grunt work in the planning stages

Mark_F

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 01:18:24 AM »
It's a shame Richard Chamberlain couldn't of continued his involvement in some capacity. Involved from the start and did a lot of the grunt work in the planning stages

The bloke from Thorn Birds?   Still an improvement on TWP I suppose.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 01:29:25 AM »
We had a day stop over a few weeks ago at King Island, only had time to fly over as close as possible to the Cape Wickham site, played 9 holes at KIGC, a steak at the local club/pub, a quick tour of the Ocean Dunes site with Graeme Grant and then onto Barnbougle. The 'manicured' shape of some of the gorse type bushes on some of the points was fascinating and a provided a glimpse to the impact the weather has on the West coast of KI.
I think RexAir have between 5 & 7 flights per week from Melb., unsure of seating capacity.
@theflatsticker

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »
 I just find it odd that King Island, heretofore previously only known for the production of fine but overrated and inconsistent cheese, has 2 or 3 golf courses on the go with one of them being designed by someone 99% of club members in Australia would not have heard of.  The fact that he is down there in the middle of winter says much.

I find it even more odd that you've been on this site for a number of years and don't know who Mike is.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »
Hi All,

Many thanks to those who have had a chance to see some photos and the plan and have refrained from posting - I appreciate your integrity.  The owner has been away in Africa for the past couple of weeks and we have been waiting for some final t's and i's but I think there will be an announcement sometime next week and I will then be able to post photos and the plan. 

I have been here for a month and my family is here with me.  This is a great adventure and opportunity for the whole family and we are cherishing it.

More to come next week.  Thanks for the interest - I look forward to your comments and questions.

Best,
Mike

JC Jones

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
Mike has 2 great courses in Greywalls and Kingsley, better than most of the courses of the other minimalists before they got their first great piece of property.  They proved their genius when given a phenomenal site to work on, I have no doubt Mike will do the same. 

I'm happy for Mike to have this opportunity.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Matt Day

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »
Hi All,

Many thanks to those who have had a chance to see some photos and the plan and have refrained from posting - I appreciate your integrity.  The owner has been away in Africa for the past couple of weeks and we have been waiting for some final t's and i's but I think there will be an announcement sometime next week and I will then be able to post photos and the plan. 

I have been here for a month and my family is here with me.  This is a great adventure and opportunity for the whole family and we are cherishing it.

More to come next week.  Thanks for the interest - I look forward to your comments and questions.

Best,
Mike

How are you going with the mutton birds?

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

The bloke from Thorn Birds?  
Don't mention birds....still a touchy issue at Cape Wickham.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:39:55 PM by Richard Chamberlain »

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
Mike has 2 great courses in Greywalls and Kingsley, better than most of the courses of the other minimalists before they got their first great piece of property.  They proved their genius when given a phenomenal site to work on, I have no doubt Mike will do the same.  

So you're saying Kingsley wasn't a great piece of property, or are you coming out of the closet as yet another rater who's a sucker for a glimpse of a body of water, or some combination thereof?  8)

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Butler

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
Mark,

Spare us the Xenophobia. 

Xenophobia... ? The guy hates everyone north of the Murray River.
Next!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
How would one get there from Melbourne and at what cost? Is flying the only option, or is there a ferry?

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
How would one get there from Melbourne and at what cost? Is flying the only option, or is there a ferry?

Bill,

You can get a flight from Moorabbin airport for about $350 return on Kind Island Airlines.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
Rex Airlines fly daily (I think) from Tullamarine in Melb and I have seen flights range from $300 - $600 return.
Also the King Island Air (small plane) from Morabbin.

Daryl David

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »

No ferry.  Air only.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »
Wow, I just did a little Google Earth tourism of the Island.  Mike, you sure are on an adventure there!  I have to repeat a question I asked you many years ago.  Mike, what the hell were you thinking?  ;D

I can understand the interest in Tasmania, and siting a course there.  They have cities there!  Kings Island seems to have outposts.  It really does look fascinating and I recommend folks use the Google Earth to have a look at the entire island.  No shortage of dunesland alright.  Or some craggy coast line if you are looking to design and construct the next Cypress Point. 

Mike, or one of the Aussies, can you tell me what we are looking at on Google Earth along this stretch of east coast line?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cape+Wickham,+Wickham+Tasmania+7256,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-39.641529,144.070051&spn=0.003511,0.00736&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.634084,60.205078&geocode=FYDAo_0dsICUCA&hnear=Cape+Wickham&t=h&z=17

Are those monster waves hitting rocks and splashing up many feet, or are they beached ice flows?  There is another angular large one along there that really looks like a huge iceberg has beached. 

And, one can see a yacht harbor and a few nice looking craft there.  It looks like some remote island hardly anyone in the rest of the world ever heard of, where some diabolical multi-billionaire maniac could begin to build a universal time machine and intergalactical travel port, and lauch a world domination plot.  Is that what you are up to Mike?  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »
Thats martha Livinia, its a pretty famous surf break in surf head world.

JC Jones

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:33 AM »
Mike has 2 great courses in Greywalls and Kingsley, better than most of the courses of the other minimalists before they got their first great piece of property.  They proved their genius when given a phenomenal site to work on, I have no doubt Mike will do the same.  

So you're saying Kingsley wasn't a great piece of property, or are you coming out of the closet as yet another rater who's a sucker for a glimpse of a body of water, or some combination thereof?  8)

great, yes.  phenomenal, no. 

reading comprehension can be a good thing.   ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark_F

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
I find it even more odd that you've been on this site for a number of years and don't know who Mike is.

I haven't read every course review, I haven't read every feature interview, I don't check in here every day or sometimes every week.  Have you ever heard of the club I am a member at?

Xenophobia... ? The guy hates everyone north of the Murray River.

Only the dickheads, Anthony. 

Jud_T

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »

I haven't read every course review, I haven't read every feature interview, I don't check in here every day or sometimes every week.

Perfectly understandable as if you search the Discussion Group for "DeVries", only 1,000 or so posts come up.....Ever heard of Mike Nuzzo? Rod Whitman? Gil Hanse?  Just trying to get a baseline...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:14:08 AM by Jud T »

Mark_F

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »
Perfectly understandable as if you search the Discussion Group for "DeVries" only 1,000 or so posts come up.....

I'm supposed to search the discussion group for someone I don't know? 

Ever heard of Mike Nuzzo?

Yes - he wrote a an article or two in one of Paul Daley's architecture books.

Rod Whitman?

Meg's brother or husband?

Gil Hanse?

He was apparently in Australia recently and featured or was talked about on a podcast a while back. 

Ever heard of Sloan Morpeth?  Charles Lane?  Herbert Rymill?

Jud_T

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »

Ever heard of Sloan Morpeth?  Charles Lane?

Had something to do with the 31st best course in Australia?

Herbert Rymill?

Was to Dr. Mac in Adelaide as George Halas was to Babe Ruth in NY?  I give up, you are the better man.  I don't want to detract further from a thread about what is a very exciting development for Mike and potentially a great addition to golf down under...  

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:11:29 AM by Jud T »

Michael J. Moss

Re: Mike DeVries+Tasmania=King Island Links New
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
It has been an absolute pleasure working with Mike and Joe Hancock at Sunningdale Country Club (Scarsdale, NY) where they have now finished renovating, or perhaps more accurately, finished redesigning eight of our greens...and those greens are truly so much fun! Mike and Joe have also been doing some really nice work over at Siwanoy CC in neighboring Bronxville. I know their club members are excited to really put the pedal to the metal in order to finish. They too are about half way done.

I've played the Kingsley Club several times over two trips. The second one included a visit to Greywalls in Marquette. Borrowing from my friend, Adam Clayman, those two courses inspire you to play the game better.

I predict this assignment for Mike will be a transforming one. I expect to hear some comments that it was long overdue, etc. It's just nice to know that with patience, good things do happen to good people!

our "new" 4th green under construction this past fall...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Siwanoy CC, not sure which green, but done early this spring.

...and the man himself on the dozer at Sunningdale this past November...

Mike, congrats!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:43:15 AM by Michael J. Moss »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
Jud T:

You are correct. Nothing should detract from the real subject of this thread, specifically Mike DeVries' opportunity in Tasmania. I wish Mike the best, am sure he will do a great job and hope I get to see the course someday.

That said, I can't help but briefly comment on your exchange with Mark Ferguson. As much as I love Irish and Scotish golf, I must say that my two trips to Melbourne and Tasmania were very special. They were special not just because of the great golf courses, but also because the folks from Melbourne were so welcoming.

My first trip was during the Renaissance Cup and it was probably the best Renaissance Cup I have attended. But, the second was perhaps even better when the Melbourne boys invited me to Captain a match between Australia and the Rest of the World played at Barnbougle. Later during a group visit to the Mornington Peninsula I was asked to give a speech to the group and it was quite humbling.

But, honestly, right away I knew the one single message I wanted to share. It was the same message I would have given if I was speaking in my beloved Ireland. So, I told my Aussia friends to preserve the great things about Australian golf: the courses, the people, the very friendly way they played their matches and enjoyed a good beer after.

So, I am quite comfortable taking Mark F's word he simply didn't know about Mike DeVries. If he did, I am quite sure Mark would have appreciated Mike's ability to produce something worth going well out of one's way to see.

In short, the Aussies aren't xenophobic, but like the Irish and the Scotish, they might just do golf better than we do here in the States.
Tim Weiman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
I viewing the Google Earth views of the island, I'll be darn interested to hear from Mike and whoever can follow the progress, how they plan to generate power to the facility. Assuming the site is away from some of the inhabited outposts of villages scattered about, it seem like a long run to wire electric.  Is this going to be a relatively modern irrigated facility?  Or is the normal rainfall sufficient to do something minimal in regards to irrigation?  Are there lessons to be learned from the Barneygoogles and Lost Farm construction experiences?  I'm sure Mike is all over those issues.  It was fun hearing posts periodically from Brian Schneider about the Barnbougle project and to follow the progress.  I hope we'll hear much as this goes forward. 

Personally, I find the posts from people working on the ground at the edges of golf civilization to be the most entertaining, like the posts and blog we had from the China project a couple years ago.  It seems those descriptions really show the ingenuity of these talented intrepid golf architects and construction teams and in a sense gives us more of an idea what it was like in the MacKenzie era of globetrotting to remote areas to promulgate the game.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back