News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: US Open sites--west of the Mississippi
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »
maybe the USGA should adopt a clear winner economically one year then go with a clear loser economically the next and continue with that "for the good of the game"

the east coast clearly has the economics

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »
Pat,

Do courses get the U.S. Open because they're in the top 100, or are courses in the top 100 because they've hosted the U.S. Open?

In some cases, neither. Hazeltine gets the U.S. Open (and, more recently, the PGA) because of its vast spaces for cars, tents, media, volunteers and spectators. Whoever said the Open is all about money must have been thinking of Hazeltine, because every major held there sets new records for revenue.

So you're saying Hazeltine's #94 on the current Digest list based solely on the strength of it's architecture?

I would assume so. I'm not a rater, so I don't know how the GD list is compiled. As I recall, the only factor outside of the golf course itself is its history or tradition, and Hazeltine now has some of that.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

William_G

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2013, 02:26:54 PM »
one thing is for sure is that there are more old courses east of the Mississippi, therefore more history and people and money
It's all about the golf!

Jim Nelson

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »

thanks
Not sure I agree with that.  I'm guessing the Open at Olympic was a huge economic success for the USGA.  No delays, prime time, huge crowds, lots of space for corporate venues, entertaining the big wigs in SF, course inside the city limits (well, most of it).  How does it get any more economically viable than that?  The same applies to PB, TP and would with an Open in LA.  Seems coastal CA is the best place for the US Open, period, when considering all the various factors.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

William_G

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »

thanks
Not sure I agree with that.  I'm guessing the Open at Olympic was a huge economic success for the USGA.  No delays, prime time, huge crowds, lots of space for corporate venues, entertaining the big wigs in SF, course inside the city limits (well, most of it).  How does it get any more economically viable than that?  The same applies to PB, TP and would with an Open in LA.  Seems coastal CA is the best place for the US Open, period, when considering all the various factors.

yes but the east coast still has more economics, more people... no doubt PB, Olympic and TP are solid economically...but if the East Coasters deny they don't crush the west coast in numbers and venues, then they are denial

there are no Bandons on the East Coast where the numbers don't work for the economic appetite of the US Open
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:40:26 PM by William_Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
WA, OR and CA combined have about 330 courses that panelists/raters rate

PA and NJ alone have about 170
It's all about the golf!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2013, 01:37:22 AM »

How do the courses you listed rank in the top 100 courses in the U.S ?

Totally irrelevant question now that the US Open has been to Torrey Pines.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »

So one course, an outlier/anomaly offsets all the others ?

Hardly

Garland Bayley

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »

Hardly

Outlier? Don't you remember the corn farm they played the Open on?

It is the status of the event, not the course that makes the tournament.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Andy Troeger

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »

Torrey Pines is ranked #79 on Golf Magazine's Top 100 in the USA list.

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/course-rankings/us?page=7

Garland Bayley

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »

Hardly

Outlier? Don't you remember the corn farm they played the Open on?

It is the status of the event, not the course that makes the tournament.

"Sirak: FACT. Hey, the USGA could make Goat Hills Muni a formidable venue with the way it employs pin position, green speed and rough. If they get some wind that week it could a a highly amusing tournament for everyone except the players."

Jeff Blume

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
While I do enjoy watching the U.S. Open on the classic venues, I do wonder how long the USGA will continue to ignore the second most populous state.  Although the weather may not be ideal in Texas in early June, the rain patterns are changing (we have been in a drought for the last several years). 

Champions was the last all Bermuda grass golf course to host the Open in 1969.  I am not sure if the USGA will ever go to an all Bermuda grass golf course again.  However, the population of the U.S. is moving to the south and southwest so perhaps a future Open site is in the cards.  If the U.S. Open is truly a national championship, then it should be played in all areas of the country regardless of grass types.  Colorado, Arizona, the deep south and Florida should also be considered, and each of these regions contain venues that could be modified to provide plenty of challenge while addressing all of the logistical concerns as well.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »
Spyglass Hill would be a great Open venue. Great challenge and great vewing.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
Jeff,

Texas in June ?

Tulsa was a problem

What courses do you suggest ?

Tim,

After the first five at Spyglass, what holes stand out ?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
Jeff,

Texas in June ?

Tulsa was a problem

What courses do you suggest ?

Tim,

After the first five at Spyglass, what holes stand out ?

I like most of the inland holes 7, 8, 11 thru16 and 18 would be a good finish.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back