News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Too early to start worrying?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
Jim,

I like to think we have thick hides, but who am I to judge?  I'm not really arguing there is bias or a double standard, but from my perspective as the greens chairman for the 2003 US Open at Olympia Fields, I'm still smarting a little bit about how our course was handled in the press.  I was with Tom Meeks on the Monday of Open week and we measured the rough.  It was over seven inches deep.  He said they were going to cut it to 3 inches.  I protested, even as I admitted that I had never been to a US Open, much less made any decisions on setup.  He said that the USGA committee had decided that it had tired of the setup which fairly commanded players to punch back to the fairway out of the rough.    They wanted to challenge the golfers to hit to the greens out of the rough, thinking that they might wind up going past the greens, which invited more peril at Olympia.  I told him that the course was soft and that the pros would beat the course up, but they had made their decision.  They cut the rough and the first two days' scores were very low.  We were lampooned in the media, especially by Johnny Miller.  The Chicago Tribune's Saturday headline was "Olympia Yields".  The cause was the cutting of the rough, in conjunction with the soft greens.  I went on the Golf Channel and said the membership was concerned that we would wind up being a "one-year experiment of a kinder and gentler USGA."  At the end of the championship, only three players broke par, but the public relations damage was done.

Many of us in Chicago are wondering if the USGA would cut the rough at a waterlogged Merion, which would really render the course defenseless.  I don't know what their committee's mindset is this year, but I do happen to believe that the USGA would do whatever it could to try to defend par to a certain extent at Merion, a club that sets all blue coats' eyes to misting.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dale Frischknecht

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
Live Updates
Wednesday, June 12
11:27 a.m. EDT | Mike Davis: "We finally got the chance to cut the rough last night, so you'll see graduated rough out there."

What a shame!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
Live Updates
Wednesday, June 12
11:27 a.m. EDT | Mike Davis: "We finally got the chance to cut the rough last night, so you'll see graduated rough out there."

Tin hats for sale. Chips resting on broad shoulders still off the market, however.  ;D
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
I wonder what the various heights are.  And yes, the chip is still in place!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »
I wonder what the various heights are.  And yes, the chip is still in place!

:)

It is odd to hear about graduated roughs. I thought there weren't going to be any.

EDIT: if a derecho is coming there won't be any hatches left, battened or otherwise. Those things blow!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:08:39 PM by Mark Bourgeois »
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
I believe I read 5 inches, no graduated cut on all short 4s - 4 inches for the first 3 or 4 yards and 5+ on all other holes.  That's still some pretty thick rough.

Edit:  found the article that mentions the cuts.  Also of interest is the raised fairway cut height...

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/jun/12/us-open-2013-merion-golf-club-rough-green-speeds/

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:15:03 PM by Josh Tarble »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
I believe I read 5 inches, no graduated cut on all short 4s - 4 inches for the first 3 or 4 yards and 5+ on all other holes.  That's still some pretty thick rough.

Five-inch primary rough is pretty stout.  That will prevent a lot of shots from making it to the green, that's for sure.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
Half-inch fairway height -- not sure I buy the "sustainability" argument for why that's being done. How much will that affect iron and wedge spin / control?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »
I don't know if it's too early to start worrying, but I do know it's probably to late to offer our apologies to George Pazin for complaining that his beloved Oakmont is too penal and one dimensional.

Let's throw out the banal and misleading 'penal-strategic' labels once and for all, shall we? Personally speaking, if I try to fit the palaver spun about Merion, past and present, into that formula it kind of makes my head explode.

Peter

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

Personally speaking, if I try to fit the palaver spun about Merion, past and present, into that formula it kind of makes my head explode.

Peter

Gotta like a guy who can use the word palaver properly in a sentence about golf course architecture.  You're a sesquipedalian at heart!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »

Personally speaking, if I try to fit the palaver spun about Merion, past and present, into that formula it kind of makes my head explode.

Peter

Gotta like a guy who can use the word palaver properly in a sentence about golf course architecture.  You're a sesquipedalian at heart!

Maybe, but you actually used the word while I had to go look it up!  From what I can tell, that's typical for a Chicago guy -- a lot smarter than he lets on  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back