News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

Re: One of the great days in American golf
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
Why do we have The Players Championship, World Golf Championships, and other top flight tournaments? So that there are tournaments that feature the very best fields the game can offer.

That's not the point of an Open and that some people are ready to throw overboard the "open" concept just for the sake of a marginally stronger field is really, really sad to me.

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
Sorry Judge, what makes the US Open great is the competitive process, not the ranking of the players or the strength of the field.  I too think there should be a more complete qualifying process where there are much fewer exemptions with the exemptions being predicated on previous USGA events and to a lesser degree The Masters and The Open.  I leave out the PGA because they do their own thing in a closed shop. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Dan Kelly

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
Like you,in a perfect world,I'd want the Open to have the best 150 players in the world.

I wouldn't.

In a perfect world -- from either a "playing" or a "watching on TV" perspective -- I'd want the U.S. Open to have the players who have survived the open (lowercase and uppercase) qualifying process.

Thankfully, on this one occasion, we live in a perfect world.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JMEvensky

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Like you,in a perfect world,I'd want the Open to have the best 150 players in the world.

I wouldn't.

In a perfect world -- from either a "playing" or a "watching on TV" perspective -- I'd want the U.S. Open to have the players who have survived the open (lowercase and uppercase) qualifying process.

Doesn't my sentence after the one you quoted say the same thing?

Alex Miller

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »

I wouldn't.

+1

Dan Kelly

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

I wouldn't.

Doesn't my sentence after the one you quoted say the same thing?

Honestly, I wasn't sure.

I should have read the whole thread. Then I'd have been sure, I think. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:23:30 PM by Dan Kelly »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
Well, I guess it's time to officially label my position a "dissent" and move on to the next "case".
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JMEvensky

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Well, I guess it's time to officially label my position a "dissent" and move on to the next "case".

At least give us a Scalia-like dissent--make those of us in the majority really feel intellectually challenged.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »

At least give us a Scalia-like dissent--make those of us in the majority really feel intellectually challenged.

I suspect that Scalia's dissents tend to buttress his own sense of intellectual superiority, while having no humbling effect whatsoever on the majority!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
True about Nino Scalia.

As for me, I'm at least smart enough to know I lack intellectual superiority!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »
I think that there are a bunch of folks who make it via exemption or qualifying that have no realistic chance to win.  Certainly the exempt players have survived the rigors of playing professional golf and one would assume they could win.  However some off these guys will never win a regular PGA Tour event let alone the US Open. (The top150 in rankings on the world golf site doesn't include a wins category, so maybe I am wrong)

I like the stories even if they have no realistic chance of winning.  I don't know when the last time a player who wasn't a college player, spent significant time on the PGA to junior tour has made a impact at the open but there are PGA tour pros who are going to card 80's, so I would rather see those score come from a person who earned there opportunity qualifying.

Dan

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
I think that there are a bunch of folks who make it via exemption or qualifying that have no realistic chance to win.  Certainly the exempt players have survived the rigors of playing professional golf and one would assume they could win.  However some off these guys will never win a regular PGA Tour event let alone the US Open. (The top150 in rankings on the world golf site doesn't include a wins category, so maybe I am wrong)

I like the stories even if they have no realistic chance of winning.  I don't know when the last time a player who wasn't a college player, spent significant time on the PGA to junior tour has made a impact at the open but there are PGA tour pros who are going to card 80's, so I would rather see those score come from a person who earned there opportunity qualifying.

Dan

Actually 3 of the last 17 US Open winners went through Sectional Qualifying (Steve Jones, Michael Campbell, and Lucas Golver).  Back in 1969 Orville moody went through both Local and Sectional Qualifying.  I believe Ken Venturi may have also come through Sectional Qualifying.

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
Aware of that.  I was meaning that a fair number of the exempt players who don't have to qualify that have no real shot of winning a US Open either imho.  Certainly there are talented Pros who for one reason or another aren't exempt.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/exemptions.html

Dan

Martin Toal

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 02:41:22 AM »
Sectional qualifiers winning the U.S. Open:

2005 - Michael Campbell

Michael Campbell wasn't really a Tin Cup style plucky outsider. He had finished in the top 30 of the European Tour for each of the five seasons before his 2005 win, during which time he had 6 wins.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back