News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Muirfield Village: strategic, heroic, or penal
« on: June 02, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
I have been looking a scorecards of the players at MV this week.  I can't remember when I have seen more doubles and triples in a golf tournament, not a major.  I have played MV 8 or 9 over the past 25 years and have watched the course make some changes. My own  scores haven't changed much but I wonder if it hasn't gone from a very strategic golf course to a more heroic or even penal course.  Penalties for missed shots are pretty severe.  Then again players seem to try a lot of risk reward shots, especially on the par fives. I don't think you can argue that the course isn't strategic because there are a variety of ways to play many of the holes.  But has the balance shifted to more of a penal course?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:27:58 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Rogers

Re: Muirfield Village: strategic, heroic, or penal
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
It seems to me one of those courses that always been proclaimed as "great" but seems to require the continuous high dollar make over on an ongoing basis to keep it "great".

Next project: I really think the landing zone of the 17th hole is really pointless.  Why not re-work that into a modified right to left 'cape'?  Certianly not not another left to right hole.  and ... The 18th hole as a tee shot lay-up ... why?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »
I have not played Muirfield Village in many years, but I always thought that was a great set of par-5 holes ... like the par-5 holes at Augusta used to be, where the good players almost had to go for them, but were equally likely to make 3 or 7 in doing so.  Especially at the 15th!

As to whether you label it heroic or penal, I don't know, I think those labels are oversimplified anyway.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »
Though the greens do not have (6)ft of break,as the MV bashers attest, their subtle contours w/hi-stimp speed provide chipping/putting nightmares(TW).The greens exhibit slightly more Po indicative of this yrs Cols spring;however,this is a Special Golf Course.Hole 17 was changed practically (10)yrs ago,and 16,last year------don't see the issue.
Interesting the Golf Channel comentator mentioning the MV back (9) playing the toughest on the PGA tour,last year?    

noonan

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
It seems to me one of those courses that always been proclaimed as "great" but seems to require the continuous high dollar make over on an ongoing basis to keep it "great".

Next project: I really think the landing zone of the 17th hole is really pointless.  Why not re-work that into a modified right to left 'cape'?  Certianly not not another left to right hole.  and ... The 18th hole as a tee shot lay-up ... why?
What course does the PGA tour play that does not require tweaks to stop the pros from going 22 under in 4 rounds?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
I have not played Muirfield Village in many years, but I always thought that was a great set of par-5 holes ... like the par-5 holes at Augusta used to be, where the good players almost had to go for them, but were equally likely to make 3 or 7 in doing so.  Especially at the 15th!

As to whether you label it heroic or penal, I don't know, I think those labels are oversimplified anyway.

Tom I agree that the par fives are really strong.  I can't go the the greens in two but the second shots on 2 and 11 are pretty difficult.  The tee shot on 15 is pretty scary tight and needs to be in the fairway to get to the landing are of the second shot. Seven is the most benign of the the lot.  2, 11, and 15 are great risk reward par fives.  The risks are pretty substantial but the rewards can be an eagle or easy birdie. They just require an heroic shot.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
How many of those big numbers were the result of the architecture and not just the speed of the greens?

I didn't see much of the action, but I saw plenty of highlight suggesting most of the big numbers Tiger put up were actually the result of pretty basic things like 3-putting from 7 feet.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
How many of those big numbers were the result of the architecture and not just the speed of the greens?

I didn't see much of the action, but I saw plenty of highlight suggesting most of the big numbers Tiger put up were actually the result of pretty basic things like 3-putting from 7 feet.
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 10:55:25 PM »

When you make as many doubles and triples as Tiger did poor putting hurts.  Bunkers also made a difference.  I saw more buried lies in bunkers this week than I have in a long time.  Many of the doubles, however, came from shots in the water or from difficult lies around the greens.  The quickness of the greens seemed to hurt chips and pitches a lot this week. I think maintenance caused some of the difficulties.
So is it penal architecture or penal maintenance?
St. John of the Cross

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »

When you make as many doubles and triples as Tiger did poor putting hurts.  Bunkers also made a difference.  I saw more buried lies in bunkers this week than I have in a long time.  Many of the doubles, however, came from shots in the water or from difficult lies around the greens.  The quickness of the greens seemed to hurt chips and pitches a lot this week. I think maintenance caused some of the difficulties.
So is it penal architecture or penal maintenance?

As I think about it, there are a lot of heroic shots out there. All-or-nothing over water types. Though the par 5s all seem pretty good strategic holes. And plenty of just plain penal (drive on 18) too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back