News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Tough walks on Tour
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »
I've seen discussion on here of courses that are extremely difficult to walk and host professional events.

My question: are there courses on Tour with an unwalkable green to tee transition where players are shuttled by cart?

If so, is it at all common?

Gene Greco

Re: Tough walks on Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:49:36 AM »
    Maybe Kapalua Plantation
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:44:11 AM »
Carts were certainly being used on at least one green to tee transition at Thracian Cliffs the other week.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Whitmer

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
I was told they are carted up the hill at Castle Stuart from hole #12 to hole #13 for The Scottish Open.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:48:12 AM »
I was told they are carted up the hill at Castle Stuart from hole #12 to hole #13 for The Scottish Open.

Wusses... :)

That is indeed a tough couple of hundred steps...

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
This is interesting, guys, thanks for the input. I find this a bit disappointing, though I suppose a necessary evil.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
There was a cart ride from maybe 12 green to 13 tee at the TPC Avenal course in DC during the Kemper Open. Perhaps JC will confirm. 

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »

David

Happy to confirm that. As a volunteer at last years Scottish Open I'm glad to say I got a lift as well.

Other courses are at the Centenary/Monarchs or whatever they call it at Gleneagles. Don't know the numbers but basically the route under the road.

Also that course in Spain where they played the matchplay at a couple of years ago, the Cabal Robinson course. Can't recal the name of it and I have played it as well  :(

Niall

Anders Rytter

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

David

Happy to confirm that. As a volunteer at last years Scottish Open I'm glad to say I got a lift as well.

Other courses are at the Centenary/Monarchs or whatever they call it at Gleneagles. Don't know the numbers but basically the route under the road.

Also that course in Spain where they played the matchplay at a couple of years ago, the Cabal Robinson course. Can't recal the name of it and I have played it as well  :(

Niall

Takling about Fincantieri Cortesin?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »

David

Niall

Autocorrect failing, Anders? :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »

David

Niall

Autocorrect failing, Anders? :)
Damn! :)
Finca Cortesin

James Boon

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »

Niall

Niall,

I caddied for my brother in the Scottish PGA Championship at Gleneagles PGA Centenery several years ago and as we walked off the back of the 2nd green, one of those large buggies for more than 2 people was sitting there. We just laughed and walked past it but 200 yards of uphill trudge later we arrived at the 3rd tee and I could see why they put it on! I therefore assume thats the same for any tour event there, and will probably be used in the Ryder Cup also?

Funny thing is there are several other walks of about that length but not uphill, were buggies arent provided... Not a walking course the PGA at Gleneagles!  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »

Wusses... :)

That is indeed a tough couple of hundred steps...

To be fair it was held in July so they had to put up with the inhumane heat of the Scottish summer ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back