News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Eric Smith

Has there ever been a women's open more crucial to a golf course's future prospects of hosting a men's open than the one in three weeks at Sebonack? Has it ever even happened before where a course hosted the women's open before getting the men's?

After having just played there and falling head over heels about the place, I think Sebonack is going to dazzle most everyone who will be seeing it for the first time in HDTV. I can't wait to watch.

Ron Csigo

Re: Will the 2013 Women's Open lead to a men's US Open at Sebonack?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
It's still about a month away.  June 24th-30th.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:39:44 AM »
depends on how well I shoot the course...with my Canon.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »
I think the only way it could host would be if it was determined to be better than Shinnecock. For a USGA championship, how many are better?

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
Eric: you know when you watch the British Open - balls pinging all over the place - wind blowing - big scores, low running shots. You've never seen that at a US open before have you?

No I don't think I have. Even if Sebonack never sees a men's open I think if the women's is a success then it's a ++ for everyone involved.

Alex,

That is an interesting factor. St Andrews and Carnoustie split time hosting their open championship, though they aren't nearly as close to one another as Sebonack and Shinnecock are.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Eric: you know when you watch the British Open - balls pinging all over the place - wind blowing - big scores, low running shots. You've never seen that at a US open before have you? Having the US Open at Sebonack wouldn't be all that dissimilar to having it at Bandon. It would be very, very cool. Can't wait to see how it looks on TV - when is it on? Next weekend?

We've seen it for the women (Newport, Blackwolf in the 1998 3rd round) and even the senior men (Prairie Dunes). The reason it's less likely we'll see it for floggers is wind tends to occur near water and de facto most courses on the water are too old and therefore too short and / or too little infrastructure to host a tournament for 150 or so floggers.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
The Women's Open will be such a smashing success, the Men will come to Sebonack, and in due time Sebonack will become a legendary course who's fame and reputation stand the test of time.  Sebonack will be known far and wide as a GREAT course for generations.

You heard it here first!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
Must see TV - here is Michael Pascucci addressing the media at the press conference the other day at Sebonack.

http://youtu.be/9VLkVXFxDAQ?t=33m2s

Matthew Sander

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Eric: you know when you watch the British Open - balls pinging all over the place - wind blowing - big scores, low running shots. You've never seen that at a US open before have you? Having the US Open at Sebonack wouldn't be all that dissimilar to having it at Bandon. It would be very, very cool. Can't wait to see how it looks on TV - when is it on? Next weekend?

We've seen it for the women (Newport, Blackwolf in the 1998 3rd round) and even the senior men (Prairie Dunes). The reason it's less likely we'll see it for floggers is wind tends to occur near water and de facto most courses on the water are too old and therefore too short and / or too little infrastructure to host a tournament for 150 or so floggers.

I think you'll see most of what Brian mentions when the Open heads to Chambers Bay.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
"Eric: you know when you watch the British Open - balls pinging all over the place - wind blowing - big scores, low running shots. You've never seen that at a US open before have you?"

Brian S. -

The US Open at Shinnecock won by Reteif Goosen resembled a British Open a times, especially on the last day. Frankly conditions at a number of the British Opens in recent years have not been very "Open-like" either.

DT 

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
The Women's Open will be such a smashing success, the Men will come to Sebonack, and in due time Sebonack will become a legendary course who's fame and reputation stand the test of time.  Sebonack will be known far and wide as a GREAT course for generations.

You heard it here first!

SOLD to You!!!

While I enjoy Sebonack and much appreciate the contributions of all involved, it won't ever hold a Men's Open so long as the 10th in-line descendants of those presently running Shinnecock are around to deal with the ossified skeletons over at the Golf House.

Youse yutes just don't understand the complex dynamic btw the blue bloods of Far Hills and the East End of LI.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Cory Lewis

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
I think the only way it could host would be if it was determined to be better than Shinnecock. For a USGA championship, how many are better?
for this reason I would say Sebonack has a decent shot at hosting a PGA in the future.  When I was there a few years ago, this is what I was hearing, although I'm sure my information is out of date.  If the Women's Open goes well, I think the PGA will take a good look at it.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

John McCarthy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
Does Sebonack have the room for all the infrastructure/parking/transport?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
Does Sebonack have the room for all the infrastructure/parking/transport?

They could use Shinnecock for parking

;D ;D ;D

Steve and Cory...I agree.  Change my comment to a Men's PGA Championship will go there.  The rest is solid gold, Jerry.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »
The first time I played it I thought it could hold the Open the next day. It was the best course I've been on since Oakmont 30 years ago.
Be the ball

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
I would be very surprised if Sebonack ever hosts the U.S. Open.  It's plenty hard enough -- there are lots of Tour players who would vouch for that -- but as long as Shinnecock is in the mix, Sebonack won't be considered.  I hope the focus there will be on having a great U.S. Women's Open and not on proving anything more than that. 

I would be more surprised if Sebonack hosted the PGA Championship, unless they were going to move it to after Labor Day.  There is no way anyone wants to deal with the logistics of having a big tournament in the Hamptons between the 4th of July and the end of August.  In fact, I think the Women's Open is being played a week earlier than usual this year, so they could get it in before the summer rental season kicks into high gear.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
Tom,

I agree. August traffic in the Hamptons is pretty brutal.
Tim Weiman

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
Here's Mr Pascucci a few days ago from the video I posted earlier...

(Mike Davis and David Fay) said "we'd like to think about doing something here."

"So we're very happy that they invited us and we invited them to start with a Women's Open..."

"Start with" can mean a lot of things, obviously. I appreciate the comments, guys. Thanks.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
The NYC metropolitan area is maxed out on worthy candidates....I suspect Baltusrol will have an Open well before Sebonack...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
Here are the future US Open venues...

2013 113th Merion Golf Club
2014 114th Pinehurst
2015 115th Chambers Bay 
2016 116th Oakmont Country Club
2017 117th Erin Hills 
2018 118th Shinnecock Hills Golf Club 
2019 119th Pebble Beach Golf Links 
2020 120th Winged Foot Golf Club

I can see Sebonack fitting in nicely!

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
"Eric: you know when you watch the British Open - balls pinging all over the place - wind blowing - big scores, low running shots. You've never seen that at a US open before have you?"

Brian S. -

The US Open at Shinnecock won by Reteif Goosen resembled a British Open a times, especially on the last day. Frankly conditions at a number of the British Opens in recent years have not been very "Open-like" either.

DT 

David,
I love links golf.
but, it's amazing how many people have extremely rose colored glasses about the 2004 US Open at Shinnecock.
i was there every day, including practce rounds.
the wind did not blow at all, except the night before the last round, and the last round.
The bluestem native rough was cut down by the powers that be a week before the event, yet a weird lttle scruffy green patch of rough was grown just off the fairways.
yes it was firm, so firm that I was watching a short hiiter like Faldo hirtting irons off the tees on holes like #6, where normally a driver is required.
It bore no resemblance to a British/Irish links as the greens were running around 12+, much faster than the fairways.
It was short game contest, and Retief outputted the field as even quality shots ended up off the green, once they caught some longer grass/friction, so good shots met the same shot as poor-it was crucial to then get the next shot up and down, often requiring a longish putt.
Some real games were played with the setup, and the rumors/stories are still fliyng about what actually went down.
Shame they couldn't just let the awesome course that is presented there  every day shine through.

I'll take the British Open on any venue, any day over the nonsense they presented that year.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott Weersing

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »

2014 114th Pinehurst
2015 115th Chambers Bay 
2017 117th Erin Hills 

So where would the 2021 US Open be played? And would the USGA come back to NY and Sebonack in 2022?

I am predicting that the USGA goes back to Pinehurst in 2021. And then maybe Chambers Bay in 2022 if things go well in 2015.
I am not sure if Southern Hills will get another US Open, but they are also in the running for 2021. How come no one has mentioned a Trump course for a US Open? Or what about Congressional? Or Torrey Pines? Doubtful to all of these.

BHoover

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »

2014 114th Pinehurst
2015 115th Chambers Bay 
2017 117th Erin Hills 

So where would the 2021 US Open be played? And would the USGA come back to NY and Sebonack in 2022?

I am predicting that the USGA goes back to Pinehurst in 2021. And then maybe Chambers Bay in 2022 if things go well in 2015.
I am not sure if Southern Hills will get another US Open, but they are also in the running for 2021. How come no one has mentioned a Trump course for a US Open? Or what about Congressional? Or Torrey Pines? Doubtful to all of these.

Torrey Pines is likely to get another Open (deserved or not) because the USGA and NBC have to love the possibility of golf in primetime in the East. What about Oakland Hills? I know it's unlikely, but I've heard that Inverness would like to host another big event (I think the club is undergoing some renovations with that in mind). Arnomink?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »
Just what the game needs: Another East Coast Host for the US Open.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mac Plumart

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »

2014 114th Pinehurst
2015 115th Chambers Bay 
2017 117th Erin Hills 

So where would the 2021 US Open be played?

2021 Pinehurst
2022 Erin Hills
2023 Baltusrol
2024 Medinah
2025 Colorado Golf Club
2026 Pebble Beach
2027 Sebonack

You heard it here first!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back