News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

1910 Tour of British Courses - Essay by Donald Ross
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
He wrote this by request of the Pinehurst Outlook. It has since been made available by the Tufts Archives.
The essay includes his comments about playing in the Open at St. Andrews. He took some photos which were printed as well but they're too worse for wear to print here. Anyway, here it is - word for word:

ON BRITISH GOLF COURSES
Professional Donald J. Ross Writes of Summer European Trip
Visits World Famous Courses and Points Out Advantages From American Viewpoint
DECEMBER 17, 1910

Having been asked by the editor of The Pinehurst Outlook to record some of the impressions received during my tour of Scottish, and English golf courses last summer, and during my play in the Open championship of Great Britain at St. Andrews June 22nd to 24th, I do so with the hope that some of the many things learned after a long absence from the home of golf may be found interesting and instructive to those who visit Pinehurst, the "St. Andrews of America."

Perhaps of more striking and general importance to the players of golf here than anything discovered, certainly the one fact that proved the most stimulating and the most satisfactory to myself, was that anything that has been done by course architects and constructors in this country, which has been criticized as radical and extreme by home players, does not hold a candle to the work of the people on the other side of the water make their courses a severer, and therefore a better test of the game. Much of this construction work, or rather on many links much of this laying out of the courses, has been done during the past few years and whether in some cases the architects have gone too far is a question that time will answer, but the general opinion seemed to be that while criticisms were heard frequently at first, that they have become fainter with time just as they have at other places where those in charge had determined to take the course by the horns, and tear up things to some purpose ; but to nothing like the extent which has  been carried out on courses in Scotland, England and Ireland.

A very curious fact was noticeable at all the links I visited namely, that the average standard of play on the other side seemed inferior to the average standard on this side. Golfers over there seem to take less pains with their golf and to care very much less whether they defeat their opponents than they do here. Perhaps this is because the larger leisure class has been less under the strain of professional and business life and therefore less sensitive to success or failure. In any event, as I went from one golfing resort to another, I wondered whether it would be possible to find so many players' anywhere in the United States who would so promptly be rated as "duffers". Nevertheless these "duffers" were enjoying the game on some of the hardest links to play properly in the world, and if anyone had dared to suggest to them that they might find more pleasure on and become fully as expert as the best amateurs in Great Britain. There is a tendency in the old world to idolize a champion or a famous player long after he has fallen from grace and indeed, to attribute a great game to many who never have become great. Before passing to an account which will be given in the briefest possible way, of the links which I visited in Scotland and England, each one of which could only be properly described in an article by itself, two essential principles which are laid down by the architect of courses across the water: At an easier and an inferior course, their remarks would have been received with the scorn of silence, or with an exclamation of pitying contempt.

More people are playing golf over there however, and on every links players, were found who certainly would be a match for some of the very best amateurs in this country, should the latter have an opportunity to cross the ocean and make a tour of the courses. That does not mean however, that first class American amateur golfers would not quickly adapt themselves to the conditions, learn more strokes, realize the possibilities of the game within them, architects of courses across the water, will be mentioned which well might be followed here by those who are trying to bring American courses up to a first class standard. And, by the way, the secret of the development of American players is in the development of American courses.

The British architect of golf courses pays little heed to criticism, but is always open to valuable suggestions, knowing full well that the carping critic is usually a very ignorant man, while the one who has any advice worth taking gives it in the gentlest way knowing that no two experts ever agree exactly on the points of golf course construction and that the best courses usually are the outcome of a compromise of ideas gathered from many intelligent sources. For instance, they do not lay out a course by rule of thumb, with the idea of having the drive such a distance, the approach such a distance, and so on, even mentioning the clubs that shall be used for each shot. The course constructor casts his eye over the country and gets the idea of what he considers a good golf hole in his brain, lays it out that way, then says to the player : "There's the golf hole, play it anyway you please." As an illustration, a hole will be found where the majority of good golfers play an iron shot from the tee, then a full wood club shot to the green. An American golfer might say that was all wrong as the hole ought to call for the wood club shot first, but hole which takes the balls over little knolls and hillocks instead of over absolutely flat and smooth country. There are holes on some of the British courses where knowledge of these undulations and knolls is absolutely imperative in order to get the ball near the hole. The ball has to be placed to about a certain spot where it will surely take the roll of the hillocks and stop somewhere near the flag. Obviously where such elements govern the approach to a green, the golfing merits of the course are superior to those on a course where every approach is over a flat level surface.

It was early in June that I arrived in Glasgow. Mr. George II. Crocker of Fitchburg, Pinehurst Club Champion, visited many of the Scottish courses with me, played excellent golf and enjoyed every moment of his golfing tour; making friends everywhere.

Making headquarters at Ayr, the first upon examination, first great course visited was Troon, of which much has been heard in this country and about which much has been written. The Troon course is excellent and has been much improved of late by lengthening, bunkers, and the utilization of the hills of bent which on parts of the course are many feet high. A visitor will find no difficulty in playing at Troon after paying the green fee. Mr. Fernie who has charge, was very courteous.

Then to Prestwick, which is a private course. This, as has frequently been said, is about the finest in Scotland. It has been improved lately by the lengthening of some of the holes. All those features which have been spoken of above as governing the play of 'a first class course, are found at Prestwick. At the very first hole, the long driver is confronted with the problem of a fair way narrowing in the distance, so that his drive must be absolutely straight.

The wealth of whins, the boldness of some of the carries, the knolls and hillocks of Prestwick, the diversity in shape, size and undulations of the putting greens, all have been noted by golfers in their stories of Prestwick. The cardinal bunker at the third hole, the seventeenth with its unique second shot after a drive which must be far and to one spot on the fair green, all these have been spoken of in books and articles. At some of the longest holes the fair way is little more than thirty yards wide, so that with this classical instance before us, who can complain of the narrowness of the fairway of any American course.

Then to Prestwick St. Nicholas, a very easy short course. Then to Turnberry, a very excellent public course, owned by the Railway Hotel Company, one of the few courses in Scotland where Sunday golf is permitted. It is a short journey south of Ayr. After that to Edinburgh and some golfing at Gullane, where there are two very fine eighteen-hole courses which have lately been remodeled. The putting greens at Gullane were the best we had played on so far. Then to North Berwick, where I enjoyed some of the best golf of the tour. To mark the holes of North Berwick is to give them the title "very good" others "good", and only a few the judgment of "fair." It may be of interest to American golfers to know that at North Berwick, the first and eighteenth holes cross and yet no fault is found. If a golfer here found one hole crossing another, he would refuse to play without taking out extra insurance, but there are very few accidents.

Passing to St. Andrews, where the open championship was played June 22nd to 24th, I had another nine days of golf. Of all the courses I visited, St. Andrews was the most worthy of study to those who wished to make a fine score and as I had entered for the championship and was desirous of making a good showing in the tournament, I made a particularly close study of holes. St. Andrews goes out and comes back, everybody at least knows that. Now the bunkering of the course led the professionals, at many of the holes, to defeat the object of the committee, for coming home they would play the fairway of the holes going out, thus avoiding the bunker problems and opening up an easy way to the green. But that's another story.

I found at St. Andrews a great deal of hero worship. The crowds were all Braid, Taylor, Vardon and a few others, and seemed to think it preposterous that any of the young and rising golfers of Great Britain should accomplish anything against those giants of golf. Smith's record round of seventy-one was forgotten when Duncan equalled it and Duncan was left to himself as Smith had been, after he had failed in his next round. Newspapers gave more space in their reports of the tournament to make excuses for the indifferent play of the heroes than they did in giving credit or praise to the outsiders who played well. Being accustomed to the admirable arrangements that the United States Golf Association makes for its open championship in relation to the posting of scores and giving everybody the squarest possible deal, certain happenings at St Andrews deserve mention. For instance the scores were printed after the day's play and during the progress of the i lay, it was next to impossible to find out how the golfers were going; all information, except the posting on a small blackboard of the lowest scores, being kept religiously within the tent of the Committee. Everybody seemed to be asking everybody else how so-and-so had finished with little hope of enlightenment. Again, the great players and the great names in the competition, were followed by large crowds and they were taken care of by flagmen and others, but the poor struggling player was left to himself, and however well he might be going, would at any moment be held up by crowds which had just left a favorite" pair or which were racing to follow another favorite player. Such discrimination in favor of certain players struck me us being unfair, to say the least.

At the presentation of prizes, I made every effort to be on hand to receive mine, but the arrangements were so poor and the crowd handled so badly, that it was impossible for me to reach Lord Kinross who distributed the prizes when the names were called. Lord Kinross said something about the shyness of the golfers from across the water in not coming forward and later when he was told the facts he expressed regret. One can imagine the difference if a British professional came here and won a prize in the open championship under the auspices the United States Golf Association. During my stay at St. Andrews, I was treated with great courtesy and kindness.

After having had a favorable opportunity of making a study of the famous British players, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that if the professional golfers of the United States had the chance to play over such courses frequently as those on the other side, which are constantly played by the "big four" and others, the American professionals would be able to hold their own with the best. British players, and I believe it is the high standard of play set by the British professionals that has brought the play of their great amateurs to its present high level. After St. Andrews, I went to London and visited the Mid-surrey course. This is considered one of the best inland courses, but is very flat and would be very uninteresting if it were not for the admirable way in which it is bunkered. The greens are very fine, but not superior to the best greens on this side of the water. Then home to Dornoch. Modesty forbids me saying more than it is the most beautifully situated links in the world and that no American golfer should omit to go there, where he will find the best golf, a royal welcome and no rabble.

-Donald J. Ross.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:58:35 PM by Chris Buie »

Tom_Doak

Re: 1910 Tour of British Courses - Essay by Donald Ross
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:21 PM »
Thanks for that, Chris!  Nice to hear that Mr. Ross was a big fan of North Berwick, I would never have guessed that.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
Chris,
Wonderful snippet. Once again you manage to find writing that hearkens back to a bygone era. Good stuff!

Fascinating that some things never change and the home-grown, blue-eyed boys were getting all the attention during competitions.

Finally Donald Ross returns to where his heart abides and to a "…… a royal welcome and no rabble."!!!!

Who was this rabble?! The local populace ... surely not? Can't be The Sassenachs ... they always found it too hard to get that far North, no? The American hordes had not found these shores yet had they? David Tepper, Rich Goodale and Kris Sheiner were but a twinkle in their great-grandparents eye were they not?
So many questions from just one morsel of your delightful find!

Thanks and cheers,
Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »
Great find Chris and thanks for posting.

Ross is probably my favorite classic designer, and I have been fortunate to see many of his courses (50ish) having grown up in the Northeast.

It's true that many successful people realize they cannot please everyone, and go about their careers in an unapologetic, no-nonsense way.

Ross was no exception, as his writings contains many salty comments, and he is always baffled when the world doesn't follow the same stringent rules of common sense and fairness that guided his life.

A great man, clearly...but I could see him barking at many a young clubmaking apprentice.  His strong opinions are always fascinating.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Thanks much Tom and Colin. Always a pleasure to hear from those two.
Brad, that is very insightful. There are lots of different types of people (of course) but Ross and Hogan personify the type you are referring to. As long as every single thing is going the way they want it to they are pleasant enough. As soon as something drifts afield from where they think it should be that's another story. It's just their nature to be perfectionistic and not very flexible. I do feel sorry for the children of such people.
You're exactly right about how he could be with his underlings. There are stories about that.

One of the interesting aspects which was clear in reading through the early journals is that almost right away he became something pretty close to being a peer of the establishment types - not quite but close to it. That is surprising, is it not? At that time pros were most definitely seen as a lower caste - not overly bright or refined - servants more or less. Ross was very much an exception in that regard. Well, he was exceptional in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:41:54 PM by Chris Buie »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
Interesting to see some of the company Ross was keeping:

James Braid   76-73-74-76--299
Sandy Herd   78-74-75-76--303
George Duncan   73-77-71-83--304
Laurie Ayton Sr.   78-76-75-77--306
Ted Ray   76-77-74-81--308
Fred Robson   75-80-77-76--308
Willie Smith   77-71-80-80--308
Ernest Gaudin   78-74-76-81--309
James Kinnell   79-74-77-79--309
Thomas Renouf   77-76-75-81--309
Donald Ross   78-79-75-77--309
Tom Ball   81-77-75-78--311
Phillip Gaudin   80-79-74-78--311
Michael Moran   77-75-79-81--312
J.H. Taylor   76-80-78-78--312
Fred Mackenzie   78-80-75-80--313
William Ritchie   78-74-82-79--313
Harry Vardon   77-81-75-80--313
a-John Ball   79-75-78-82--314
James Hepburn   78-82-76-78--314
Tom Williamson   78-80-78-78--314
Arnaud Massy   78-77-81-79--315
Jack Rowe   81-74-80-80--315
William Binnie   80-76-77-83--316
a-Cecil Hutchison   82-74-78-82--316
Wilfred Reid   78-83-77-78--316
Charles Roberts   81-73-79-83--316
Willie Auchterlonie   79-76-79-83--317
Ernest Foord   80-77-79-81--317
Herbert Riseborough   75-81-81-80--317
James Sherlock   77-81-80-79--317
George Daniel   77-81-78-82--318
William Leaver   79-81-77-81--318
William Watt   74-82-78-84--318
Samuel Whiting   80-81-80-77--318
Fred Collins   77-82-76-84--319
Walter Toogood   80-81-74-85--320
John D. Edgar   80-81-81-79--321
William Jeffries   79-76-81-85--321
Rowland Jones   81-80-80-80--321
Peter McEwan   80-79-80-82--321
Willie Park Jr.   81-78-78-84--321
Percy Rainford   81-79-78-83--321
Charles Mayo   80-79-82-81--322
William Hunter   77-84-82-80--323
William Lewis   80-80-82-81--323
John Park   79-80-80-84--323
Ben Sayers Jr.   79-78-83-83--323
Percy Wyatt   79-79-81-84--323
Jean Gassiat   81-78-85-80--324
Herbert Gaudin   80-80-81-83--324
a-William A. Henderson   81-77-79-87--324
Phillip Taylor   80-79-85-80--324
Albert Tingey   80-77-81-86--324
Arthur Baggs   79-79-83-84--325
Josh Taylor   78-81-85-81--325
Alexander Cunningham   81-80-84-82--327
Edward Smith   81-80-83-87--331

Three Gaudins from Jersey, Toogood who 'laid out' Alwoodley and others such as Sherlock who had a hand in Hunstanton. The Renoufs were also of Jersey origin - a tiny island with many fine players at this time. 

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
Wow...check out the end of the 6th paragraph in Mr. Ross' essay below... :o

He wrote this by request of the Pinehurst Outlook. It has since been made available by the Tufts Archives.
The essay includes his comments about playing in the Open at St. Andrews. He took some photos which were printed as well but they're too worse for wear to print here. Anyway, here it is - word for word:

ON BRITISH GOLF COURSES
Professional Donald J. Ross Writes of Summer European Trip
Visits World Famous Courses and Points Out Advantages From American Viewpoint
DECEMBER 17, 1910

Having been asked by the editor of The Pinehurst Outlook to record some of the impressions received during my tour of Scottish, and English golf courses last summer, and during my play in the Open championship of Great Britain at St. Andrews June 22nd to 24th, I do so with the hope that some of the many things learned after a long absence from the home of golf may be found interesting and instructive to those who visit Pinehurst, the "St. Andrews of America."

Perhaps of more striking and general importance to the players of golf here than anything discovered, certainly the one fact that proved the most stimulating and the most satisfactory to myself, was that anything that has been done by course architects and constructors in this country, which has been criticized as radical and extreme by home players, does not hold a candle to the work of the people on the other side of the water make their courses a severer, and therefore a better test of the game. Much of this construction work, or rather on many links much of this laying out of the courses, has been done during the past few years and whether in some cases the architects have gone too far is a question that time will answer, but the general opinion seemed to be that while criticisms were heard frequently at first, that they have become fainter with time just as they have at other places where those in charge had determined to take the course by the horns, and tear up things to some purpose ; but to nothing like the extent which has  been carried out on courses in Scotland, England and Ireland.

A very curious fact was noticeable at all the links I visited namely, that the average standard of play on the other side seemed inferior to the average standard on this side. Golfers over there seem to take less pains with their golf and to care very much less whether they defeat their opponents than they do here. Perhaps this is because the larger leisure class has been less under the strain of professional and business life and therefore less sensitive to success or failure. In any event, as I went from one golfing resort to another, I wondered whether it would be possible to find so many players' anywhere in the United States who would so promptly be rated as "duffers". Nevertheless these "duffers" were enjoying the game on some of the hardest links to play properly in the world, and if anyone had dared to suggest to them that they might find more pleasure on and become fully as expert as the best amateurs in Great Britain. There is a tendency in the old world to idolize a champion or a famous player long after he has fallen from grace and indeed, to attribute a great game to many who never have become great. Before passing to an account which will be given in the briefest possible way, of the links which I visited in Scotland and England, each one of which could only be properly described in an article by itself, two essential principles which are laid down by the architect of courses across the water: At an easier and an inferior course, their remarks would have been received with the scorn of silence, or with an exclamation of pitying contempt.

More people are playing golf over there however, and on every links players, were found who certainly would be a match for some of the very best amateurs in this country, should the latter have an opportunity to cross the ocean and make a tour of the courses. That does not mean however, that first class American amateur golfers would not quickly adapt themselves to the conditions, learn more strokes, realize the possibilities of the game within them, architects of courses across the water, will be mentioned which well might be followed here by those who are trying to bring American courses up to a first class standard. And, by the way, the secret of the development of American players is in the development of American courses.

The British architect of golf courses pays little heed to criticism, but is always open to valuable suggestions, knowing full well that the carping critic is usually a very ignorant man, while the one who has any advice worth taking gives it in the gentlest way knowing that no two experts ever agree exactly on the points of golf course construction and that the best courses usually are the outcome of a compromise of ideas gathered from many intelligent sources. For instance, they do not lay out a course by rule of thumb, with the idea of having the drive such a distance, the approach such a distance, and so on, even mentioning the clubs that shall be used for each shot. The course constructor casts his eye over the country and gets the idea of what he considers a good golf hole in his brain, lays it out that way, then says to the player : "There's the golf hole, play it anyway you please." As an illustration, a hole will be found where the majority of good golfers play an iron shot from the tee, then a full wood club shot to the green. An American golfer might say that was all wrong as the hole ought to call for the wood club shot first, but hole which takes the balls over little knolls and hillocks instead of over absolutely flat and smooth country. There are holes on some of the British courses where knowledge of these undulations and knolls is absolutely imperative in order to get the ball near the hole. The ball has to be placed to about a certain spot where it will surely take the roll of the hillocks and stop somewhere near the flag. Obviously where such elements govern the approach to a green, the golfing merits of the course are superior to those on a course where every approach is over a flat level surface.

It was early in June that I arrived in Glasgow. Mr. George II. Crocker of Fitchburg, Pinehurst Club Champion, visited many of the Scottish courses with me, played excellent golf and enjoyed every moment of his golfing tour; making friends everywhere. We were also joined by Mr. Hugh Wilson from Merion in Philadelphia...what a great guy!

Making headquarters at Ayr, the first upon examination, first great course visited was Troon, of which much has been heard in this country and about which much has been written. The Troon course is excellent and has been much improved of late by lengthening, bunkers, and the utilization of the hills of bent which on parts of the course are many feet high. A visitor will find no difficulty in playing at Troon after paying the green fee. Mr. Fernie who has charge, was very courteous.

Then to Prestwick, which is a private course. This, as has frequently been said, is about the finest in Scotland. It has been improved lately by the lengthening of some of the holes. All those features which have been spoken of above as governing the play of 'a first class course, are found at Prestwick. At the very first hole, the long driver is confronted with the problem of a fair way narrowing in the distance, so that his drive must be absolutely straight.

The wealth of whins, the boldness of some of the carries, the knolls and hillocks of Prestwick, the diversity in shape, size and undulations of the putting greens, all have been noted by golfers in their stories of Prestwick. The cardinal bunker at the third hole, the seventeenth with its unique second shot after a drive which must be far and to one spot on the fair green, all these have been spoken of in books and articles. At some of the longest holes the fair way is little more than thirty yards wide, so that with this classical instance before us, who can complain of the narrowness of the fairway of any American course.

Then to Prestwick St. Nicholas, a very easy short course. Then to Turnberry, a very excellent public course, owned by the Railway Hotel Company, one of the few courses in Scotland where Sunday golf is permitted. It is a short journey south of Ayr. After that to Edinburgh and some golfing at Gullane, where there are two very fine eighteen-hole courses which have lately been remodeled. The putting greens at Gullane were the best we had played on so far. Then to North Berwick, where I enjoyed some of the best golf of the tour. To mark the holes of North Berwick is to give them the title "very good" others "good", and only a few the judgment of "fair." It may be of interest to American golfers to know that at North Berwick, the first and eighteenth holes cross and yet no fault is found. If a golfer here found one hole crossing another, he would refuse to play without taking out extra insurance, but there are very few accidents.

Passing to St. Andrews, where the open championship was played June 22nd to 24th, I had another nine days of golf. Of all the courses I visited, St. Andrews was the most worthy of study to those who wished to make a fine score and as I had entered for the championship and was desirous of making a good showing in the tournament, I made a particularly close study of holes. St. Andrews goes out and comes back, everybody at least knows that. Now the bunkering of the course led the professionals, at many of the holes, to defeat the object of the committee, for coming home they would play the fairway of the holes going out, thus avoiding the bunker problems and opening up an easy way to the green. But that's another story.

I found at St. Andrews a great deal of hero worship. The crowds were all Braid, Taylor, Vardon and a few others, and seemed to think it preposterous that any of the young and rising golfers of Great Britain should accomplish anything against those giants of golf. Smith's record round of seventy-one was forgotten when Duncan equalled it and Duncan was left to himself as Smith had been, after he had failed in his next round. Newspapers gave more space in their reports of the tournament to make excuses for the indifferent play of the heroes than they did in giving credit or praise to the outsiders who played well. Being accustomed to the admirable arrangements that the United States Golf Association makes for its open championship in relation to the posting of scores and giving everybody the squarest possible deal, certain happenings at St Andrews deserve mention. For instance the scores were printed after the day's play and during the progress of the i lay, it was next to impossible to find out how the golfers were going; all information, except the posting on a small blackboard of the lowest scores, being kept religiously within the tent of the Committee. Everybody seemed to be asking everybody else how so-and-so had finished with little hope of enlightenment. Again, the great players and the great names in the competition, were followed by large crowds and they were taken care of by flagmen and others, but the poor struggling player was left to himself, and however well he might be going, would at any moment be held up by crowds which had just left a favorite" pair or which were racing to follow another favorite player. Such discrimination in favor of certain players struck me us being unfair, to say the least.

At the presentation of prizes, I made every effort to be on hand to receive mine, but the arrangements were so poor and the crowd handled so badly, that it was impossible for me to reach Lord Kinross who distributed the prizes when the names were called. Lord Kinross said something about the shyness of the golfers from across the water in not coming forward and later when he was told the facts he expressed regret. One can imagine the difference if a British professional came here and won a prize in the open championship under the auspices the United States Golf Association. During my stay at St. Andrews, I was treated with great courtesy and kindness.

After having had a favorable opportunity of making a study of the famous British players, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that if the professional golfers of the United States had the chance to play over such courses frequently as those on the other side, which are constantly played by the "big four" and others, the American professionals would be able to hold their own with the best. British players, and I believe it is the high standard of play set by the British professionals that has brought the play of their great amateurs to its present high level. After St. Andrews, I went to London and visited the Mid-surrey course. This is considered one of the best inland courses, but is very flat and would be very uninteresting if it were not for the admirable way in which it is bunkered. The greens are very fine, but not superior to the best greens on this side of the water. Then home to Dornoch. Modesty forbids me saying more than it is the most beautifully situated links in the world and that no American golfer should omit to go there, where he will find the best golf, a royal welcome and no rabble.

-Donald J. Ross.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:56:19 AM by Chris DeNigris »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
Posted for Mike Cirba:

Thanks, Chris B...I really enjoy reading your research and this little gem from Ross is instructive as we try to better understand history.

I find it very interesting and illuminating that Ross uses the terms "construct" and "construction" and "constructor" in 1910 synonymously with words we we would use today like "design", "designing", and "architect".   The following paragraphs are illustrative;

"Perhaps of more striking and general importance to the players of golf here than anything discovered, certainly the one fact that proved the most stimulating and the most satisfactory to myself, was that anything that has been done by course architects and constructors in this country, which has been criticized as radical and extreme by home players, does not hold a candle to the work of the people on the other side of the water make their courses a severer, and therefore a better test of the game. Much of this construction work, or rather on many links much of this laying out of the courses, has been done during the past few years and whether in some cases the architects have gone too far is a question that time will answer, but the general opinion seemed to be that while criticisms were heard frequently at first, that they have become fainter with time just as they have at other places where those in charge had determined to take the course by the horns, and tear up things to some purpose ; but to nothing like the extent which has  been carried out on courses in Scotland, England and Ireland."
"The British architect of golf courses pays little heed to criticism, but is always open to valuable suggestions, knowing full well that the carping critic is usually a very ignorant man, while the one who has any advice worth taking gives it in the gentlest way knowing that no two experts ever agree exactly on the points of golf course construction and that the best courses usually are the outcome of a compromise of ideas gathered from many intelligent sources. For instance, they do not lay out a course by rule of thumb, with the idea of having the drive such a distance, the approach such a distance, and so on, even mentioning the clubs that shall be used for each shot. The course constructor casts his eye over the country and gets the idea of what he considers a good golf hole in his brain, lays it out that way, then says to the player : "There's the golf hole, play it anyway you please.""

Again, thanks, and please keep up the great work!

Cheers, Mike

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
Well, I'm glad you fellows found it as interesting as I did. It's certainly nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.
Thanks for posting the scores Mark. Interesting that Ross beat Vardon.
Chris DeNigris thanks for pointing out Wilson's involvement in that 1910 journey. My apologies for neglecting to mention that before. I'm working on an essay about Ross's collaboration with Wilson on that Philly course. Will post soon.
Mike Cirba, yes I've found the differences in language fairly interesting as well. That's sad commentary on what I find entertaining but so be it. Back then Ross called a dogleg an 'elbow hole'. Fairway was 'fair green', etc.

And speaking of hearing it from the horse's mouth I was handed a set of documents a few months ago that I've been meaning to share on here. Ran said I should write something to go with it and I'm sure he's right but I couldn't really come up with something suitable. And really, the documents speak for themselves. I think probably I should just put them out there because it doesn't seem right to just have them in my files. They've been there a while now and that just doesn't seem right.
The documents I'm talking about are the Overhills sketches that Ross made. They are a revision of an earlier design there. He went on to do at least one more set of further revisions but I don't have permission to put those out here. I do have permission to post the earlier versions.
These are courtesy of the Fort Bragg Cultural Resources Center. They could not have been more kind and were really sharp professionals. Each image was 350MB - two images a disc. Dr. Linda Carnes-McNaughton in particular was very helpful. They went back and scanned them just for GCA. How fabulous was that of them?
Needless to say I appreciated it enormously! I think some of you will appreciate them as well. It's a special thing to peer right into the logic of a masterwork.
Ed Oden and I have been working on a webpage for Overhills from time to time - not finished yet. Ed has also made sure I've kept my Overhills commentary on track. Thanks Ed! The website is a non-profit thing, of course, and I think pointing you to the area which has the sketches is the best way to share them on here - rather than just have pages and pages filled up here on GCA. Well, at least for the time being that's what we'll go with. Maybe we'll come up with a better way to present them on GCA but I'm tired of just having them in my files and want you to go ahead and have the opportunity to see them.
One thing I'd like to call your attention to is that his directions show bunker height to the inch. That shows the level of extreme attention this course received from Ross. I translated his writing as best as I could. He always crossed the t way off to the right.
Regarding the study of golf course design, for me, this is the pinnacle. Enjoy and thanks so much again to the group there at Ft. Bragg.
http://overhills.org/sketches

PS: There's also an Overhills Facebook page if you're interested in that. Not really much on there at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/overhills
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:38:48 PM by Chris Buie »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
Chris - thanks, yet again. Your point about Mr. Ross joining the establishment was very interesting. So too was his simple and direct explanation of the British architect's approach: he conceives of a golf hole not by the numbers but through vision and imagination, and then says "there's the golf hole, play it anyway you please."

Peter
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:07:15 PM by PPallotta »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 06:00:11 AM »
Many, Many thanks, Chris for finding and publishing this.  I am astounded at how well Ross writes and how ironically honest he is in his appraisals of the UK courses of that time.  There is much "damining with faint praise" in his words and I find that subtlety to be delicious--a breath of fresh air compared to the arse-kissing hagiography of his contemporaneous competitors (MacDonald, MacKenzie, etc.).

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
Chris,

I add my gratitude for this article and for the Overhills sketches website. Very interesting to read Ross's account of how the pros played the inward holes of TOC via the "wrong" fairways.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
Many, Many thanks, Chris for finding and publishing this.  I am astounded at how well Ross writes and how ironically honest he is in his appraisals of the UK courses of that time.  There is much "damining with faint praise" in his words and I find that subtlety to be delicious--a breath of fresh air compared to the arse-kissing hagiography of his contemporaneous competitors (MacDonald, MacKenzie, etc.).

Rich

Rich I think you're being a little unfair. Those guys knew how to put the boot in with the best of them, I'm sure.

Chris, well done, thanks for posting.

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

I pared it down to the list of architects (or future architects) who participated.  There were quite a few.  Interesting to see Sam Whiting's name on there, though it has been almost stricken from the record at The Olympic Club by now.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »

I pared it down to the list of architects (or future architects) who participated.  There were quite a few.  Interesting to see Sam Whiting's name on there, though it has been almost stricken from the record at The Olympic Club by now.

Whiting also is credited as co-designer, with Willie Watson, of Sonoma Golf Club, one of my all time favorites in the wine country. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back