News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Courses at The Greenbrier
« on: May 29, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
I just got invited to a long-weekend golf trip to the Greenbrier.  We are going to play 2 rounds at Old White, but of the other 2 rounds, how would you split them between the other resort courses (Greenbrier and Meadow)?  2-0 Greenbrier, or is Meadow worth playing?

Also, how hard should we try to get on the private course? 

Thx in advance,

Carl

Greg Tallman

Re: Courses at The Greenbrier
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »
Carl, Grennbrier is OK, nothing fantastic but has some fun holes. 3,4,5 & 6 are entertaining as are 10,11,13,14 & 15.

Have not played Meadow but would not expect it is as good.

Ken Fry

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
Not sure of the status since the Greenbrier purchased the course but inquire about Oakhurst Links.  Not an experience to be missed.

Ken

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
Carl,

I played at the Greenbrier several times as the guest of CSX, the former owner. If you are a golf architecture guy, I would play the Old White as many times as you can. The other course is ok, but not worth playing if you can play the Old White.
Tim Weiman

Brian Potash

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
I have not played meadow but I think the answer is greenbrier once and try for Snead (private) once.

I sent an email to head pro and was accommodated probably as I said I'd play anytime during the week I was there.  It was by far my cheapest round there.  I liked the course and it was empty.  This was in August.

The greens fees are somewhat ridiculous but it's a fancy resort so....

Brian

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
I think the Greenbrier Course is pretty nice, but certainly well inferior to the Old White. Still, it's hosted a Ryder Cup. The drivable par 4 14th is a really cool golf hole.

The Meadows Course is very, very forgettable. There aren't any offensive holes (maybe the extremely narrow par 4 16th), but the best part of the golf course is that a few holes afford views of the Snead course, which I haven't played but would very much like to.

Take solace, at least, in the fact that Greenbrier hot dogs are $7, rather than $12.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
I'd play each course once.  I've had some fun rounds on the Meadows; it's not that inferior to the Greenbrier.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back