News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Daniel Wexler's Feature Interview No. 2 is posted
« on: May 01, 2003, 08:18:50 AM »
Like many here, my day job requires a decent amount of travel and for the past two years, the golf book that has made the most trips in my briefcase is Daniel Wexler's Missing Links. And I suppose that book can be retired to the comfort of a bookshelf as Daniel's second book Lost Links is now out.

Like the last one, this one covers covers most of the Golden Age architects, thus presenting the reader variety with the end result being that there is much to learn. For instance, just back from a three day trip to Detriot, I learned among other things from Lost Links that

1) The super classy Lancaster CC definitely benefited from picking up land south of Conestoga River and the subsequent work that the Gordons' performed in the 1950s to Flynn's couse.
2) The incredible story of Quincy Shaw and his course Cedar Bank Links on Cape Cod with 5 or 6 holes that must have ranked with the best ever.
3) The North course at Boca Raton (and the South in Missing Links) is further proof that Flynn was as good as everyone in Phillie keeps telling us!  :)
4) I saw a picture of one of the neatest looking Raynor bunkers ever at the Greenbrier but unfortunately, it bears no resemblance to his usual handiwork and it makes me wonder if he didn't shortchange himself by continually repeating the same look/style.
5) Billy Bell was a far more talented architect in his own right than I understood.
6) The clearest explanation yet of how three Ross holes were mangled for the sake of creating the now present 8th at Inverness.
7) The clearest explanation yet on the great stretch from 11-15 at Max Behr's Lakeside and why the course might well have been "one of the best in the world" as MacKenzie claimed
8 ) Exactly what happened with the corner holes 13-15 at SFGC.
9) about the 8th at Kelsey City Golf Club, one of the coolest looking holes that I've ever seen where Langford created multiple routes on a 290 yard hole.

I never knew any of this, which is exactly why I like to read and it's also exactly why I like reading books by Daniel Wexler.

As usual, his writing is to the point. For instance, there was much talk a few years ago about Ojai being "restored" but Daniel succinctly states, "an inappropriate use of the word if ever there was one. One look at the glaring differences between past and present (not a single matching bunker at the third, seven new hazards at the fourth) and we can only conclude that the architect either never saw an old photo or simply didn't care." Case closed.

Hopefully, thousands and thousands of Daniel's two books will be bought, thus emboldening he and his publisher to perhaps look further afield, to England so that JF Abercromby can get his due for instance and to Australia so that a clear picture can be presented on how such courses as Commonwealth, Royal Sydney and The Australian once played.

Whatever the topic of his third book, I'll be first in line.

Cheers,

PS Some really neat photos will be posted in the next 48-72 hours, once Tommy N's computer comes back to life.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Jeff_Lewis

Re: Daniel Wexler's Feature Interview No. 2 is pos
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 10:57:56 AM »
Great stuff, Ran and Daniel. Daniel is the Indiana Jones of GCA!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RC

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 01:19:08 PM »
Ran:

I have also enjoyed Missing Links.  I had the opportunity to browse through Lost Links the other day and the information related to the holes on the other side of the Conestoga at Lancaster was somewhat different than that provided in the Club's history.  As I have always understood, those holes were completed in 1941 and  Flynn was the designer.  This isn't the first time that I have encountered this discrepancy and I would be curious to learn the source of the information provided in Lost Links.  

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 03:23:43 PM »
Great interview, even better book.

Anyone else find Daniel's books kind of bittersweet? I find myself shaking my head all the time. Wish I could learn to look the other way like Rich.:)

Thanks, Daniel - look forward to more books in the future.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 06:35:29 PM »
Excellent!
I'm waiting for the third in the series.
Yancey

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 07:35:13 PM »
I'd be curious to hear the whole, in-depth architectural evolution of Lancaster, as well.  

Could it have been that the Gordons built the holes according to original Flynn plans?  William Gordon was affiliated with Flynn for quite a while.  

I'd like to see how Daniel Wexler's research squares with what Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul have learned from their Flynn motherload.  

But, back to the original point of this thread.  Wexler's book is superb, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in this history of golf courses in this country.

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 01:30:33 AM »
RC:

I based the Lancaster presentation essentially on the comparison of a 1940 aerial photo (and 1936 scorecard) against the current configuration.  The allusion to the 1950s as the time of change comes directly from Cornish & Whitten, who list the Gordons as redesigning 12 and adding six in 1959.  Truthfully, since my focus was mostly on showing what once was (and not so much on who altered it), I saw no reason to go beyond the well-established industry-standard source.

Though I have no reason to think Cornish & Whitten wrong here, if it's being suggested that Flynn was the man responsible, perhaps Mr. Wayne Morrison might chime in.

DW

RC

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 03:40:37 AM »
Thanks Daniel.  If I come across anything that addresses the Flynn/Gordon question one way or another, I will let you know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back