News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Coleman

Flemma on Casa de Campo
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
    Jay has posted an exhaustive (I say that in a nice way) first installment on the Links and the Teeth at Casa de Campo. 

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/

This may prove to be very important to my legacy, as my wife says she now knows what will appear on my tombstone - "Golf Architecture Expert" - surely an improvement over whatever she previously had in mind.

Matt Kardash

Re: Flemma on Casa de Campo
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »
I look forward to his review of Dye Fore, he really hyped it up. I always thought that from Google earth it looked to be an interesting course. Amazing what you can tell from space!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
Thank you guys, let me give you the permalink to use instead - that way when I do an interceding article someone won't get confused...

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=5051

I'll be doing the next part in a few days, maybe a week.

Matt, Dye Fore was just epic.  Golf on a majestic scale and with a grand sweep...so old school and everything we like about Classic architecture.  I'll try to do a photo tour for us here as well.  Some of you guys may decry it as cart golf, and yes, it is a murderous walk even with a caddie, but the architectural themes it explores as well as the wild natural setting make it imperative for a golfer to experience it.  It's got that same magic as Bandon Dunes and it's the most natural feeling Pete Dye course I've ever played.  PLaying the ground game there, sending punch shots halfway to the green - while following the severe ground contours perfectly -  and then filtering on green and towards the pin is about as satisfying as it gets to a golfer's soul...well, mine at least.

Ector, of course, found other ways to play Dye Fore:):)  But he loved it nonetheless...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
Jay,
Is this fairway on the left as wide as it looks from Google Earth? I used the ruler function and it had it at 140 yards wide! Is that the widest fairways in the world?  :o

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=18.425792,-68.889513&spn=0.005018,0.010525&t=h&z=17
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
Very interesting usage of Dye and natural in the same sentence,not something I would ever consider as being possible, but coming from such a reliable source I buy it!!
The pictures I have seen make it look specatcular and from the google maps the routing appears to make carts mandatory but only in order to maximise the vistas and locations is that  a valid point?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
If that's 1 at Chavon nine, yes it is...one of the widest fairways in golf...but what really ratchets up the excitement is the ground contours and bunkering!  If you think THAT'S wide, you should see 1 at Marina or 9 at Chavon!  That's exactly what I'm talking about...width and ground options and angles, angles, angles.  It was as exhilarating a day of golf as you could wish for.

It looks and feels natural...I'm still getting word on how much earth was moved, so I don't know yet for certain.

You can walk it, but don't try to carry your bag...it's a mountainous walk at times, but phenomenal golf.  Some could decry it as cart golf, but then they'd really miss out on phenomenal architecture and a ton of of great, fun, unique golf.  Casa de Campo has an unbelievably terrific 1-2 punch with Teeth and Dye Fore.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:10:09 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ross Harmon

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »
If that's 1 at Chavon nine, yes it is...one of the widest fairways in golf...but what really ratchets up the excitement is the ground contours and bunkering!  If you think THAT'S wide, you should see 1 at Marina or 9 at Chavon!  That's exactly what I'm talking about...width and ground options and angles, angles, angles.  It was as exhilarating a day of golf as you could wish for.

Jay - the link is actually Chavon #9.

Which yes, is very wide, but also on a hill with many strategic plays.

The hole is on the right side of this pic: http://puntacanateetimes.com/golf_courses/dye_fore/3.jpg

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »
When I pull it up, Google maps has it centered on 1, but you can see both fairways.

9 Chavon (or 18 as we call it), is Pete at his puckish best, giving you that picture window glance at the green before drawing into that grassy whirlpool...doctrine of deception!

Brian Potash

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »
My wife and I visited casa de campo in February.  We walked Dye Four with a caddy and I don't remember it as being a difficult walk.  As far as resort golf with spouse, I can't imagine a better place than casa de campo.  Look forward to returning next year!

Brian

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:29:32 PM »
Brian I am actually glad to hear you say that.  Maybe it was my ribs (or the lack of sleep caused by rib pain) but I nearly collapsed on 16 tee! :=O I went to sit down on the ground, and that hurt worse!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
Brian, when you played Dye Fore did you play the Marina-Chavon combo or did you play Lakes? Did you get a chance to play LA Romans as well?

Jason Walker

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
Jay--

How would you compare Casa de Campo to Punta Espada?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
Watch what happens to the ball after it lands.  I will play Punta Espada and Corales next time I'm down there, but what I've noticed most is that you can really play the ground game at Teeth and Dye Fore.  It's really refreshing and fun.  They play like a links where too many other courses in the Caribbean (and elsewhere) just try to look like a links.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back