News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Hufnagel

I am starting to get excited for this year's HHH!  Last year was a tremendous experience and I am really looking forward to the Hike next month – I have to admit it has sort of snuck up on me this year, maybe because it was such a late spring up here or perhaps I am just too busy with work and kids...

I am lucky to be able to complete the Hike at the Kingsley Club – I absolutely love the course, the people, and the experience.  I know a lot has been written on these pages about Kingsley and this thread isn't about the merits of the course, etc. – but rather this simple question...

If you could pick any course in the world to do the Hike at, what course would it be and why?

I was thinking about this weekend as I played a round on Saturday morning at my home club – I quickly came to the conclusion that I probably could complete 100 holes there – but it would be a miserable experience (except the part about raising money for great causes!)

My home course is:

1. A bad walk
2. Not terribly interesting from an architectural standpoint
3. Not terribly interesting from a strategic/thought-provoking experience
4. Not a beautiful place to spend 14 hours playing golf

I am sure one of the first responses will be – "So, why are you a member there in the first place?"  Good question, long answer.

So, back to my question – if you were going to attempt the Hike, where would you do it and why?

Here is my short list – these are in no particular order...

1. The Old Course at St. Andrews.  Great course, great walk, infinite options when approaching each hole, could probably complete the 100 with just a few golf balls, so many great places to grab a pint when I was done.
2. Ballyneal.  Great course and a great walk.  Lots of variety in approaching the holes and a great place to spend the day - unless it is 105 degrees on the day of your Hike.
3. Pacific Dunes.  Amazing course, amazing location.  A steady 25mph wind could be tiresome after a while and I would guess I would be the most tired after these 100 holes than the other three listed.  A good dinner and pint at McKee's Pub when I was done followed by a scotch sitting by the outdoor fireplace to end the day.
4. The Kingsley Club.  Great course, great walk.  Some really neat holes with some fun quirk throughout.  Each hole holds my attention even the 5th or 6th time through.  Not many better places to spend a summer day than northern Michigan.

I am sure there are many other great ones – what would you choose?

C. Squier

Re: The course you would want to do the Hundred Hole Hike on...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
Garden City GC or Hidden Creek.  Incredible courses, simple walks. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
The first two that popped into my head were Valley Club and Southampton.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

Great call on the Valley Club - that is a great walk in a beautiful location. Some great weather as well...

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
Valley Club is a great shout.

Kingston Heath, New Zealand or Royal Cinque Ports for mine. Great courses that are a pleasant walk and always interesting to play.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
I'll mention one that is probably less likely to make this list: Waverley Country Club in Portland.

I had the chance to walk around the track a little over a week ago, and it's almost the perfect course for such an event. Enough elevation change in the terrain to keep you interested but not make you exhausted, the combination of an intimate and epic scale (something I'm still not so sure how H. Chandler Egan, and Gil Hanse, accomplished) Interesting green complexes and good variety in the golf holes, and a beautiful setting right on the Willamette River

Combined with good weather it's a perfect spot for it. I certainly hope to make it back to play someday.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
My home club would be perfect for playing 100 holes. It's ~6400 yards with virtually no green to tee walks, in June it's light out for 16 hours (9:00pm Sunset) and it's rarely over 80*.
H.P.S.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
Valley Club is a great shout.

Kingston Heath, New Zealand or Royal Cinque Ports for mine. Great courses that are a pleasant walk and always interesting to play.

Haven't played Kingston Heath but I'd certainly enjoy the other 3.

I find seaside golf much less tiring than inland golf, something to do with the fresh air and the sound and views.

While I would choose Deal for my mythical last round, for 100 holes ...

North Berwick.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »
Scott I heard about someone who played Deal and using a pedometer and altimeter actually climbed 600' during the round. I've always said Deal is hilly for a flat course. That does surprise me though as the highest point is probably 20' above seen level.
Cave Nil Vino

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »
I did my HHH at secession club last year, and if I was to do it again I would probably do the same... no elevation change, short walk between greens and tees, and in the dead of summer, no one on the course that you need to play through.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
The Golf Club or Kingston Heath.  Easy walks and both are great.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
Last year, Eric Smith did his at the Nicklaus course at Dismal River.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »

Great call on the Valley Club - that is a great walk in a beautiful location. Some great weather as well...

+1.  Was thinking, like C. Squier, of courses that are exceptional (in terms of quality of golf and experience [i.e. views, location, etc.]) and offered a fairly benign walk.  Valley Club topped my list followed by:

Meadow Club
Pebble Beach
Merion (East)
Shoreacres

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
The one that immediately comes to mind for me is Seaview Bay. A nice flat walk at sea level with a tinge of salt in the air and a great view out over the bay of the Atlantic City skyline. Food and drinks are readily available at McGettigan's 19th hole directly adjacent to 1 tee. :)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
Chechessee Creek Club

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
Chris,

I got two of the four you listed, and was really hoping to add Pac Dunes this year as well.

How is Cabot for the hike? I will be there on July 1st

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Of the courses that I've played, my pick would be The Golf Club.

If I'm going with a course I've never played, I'll go with TOC.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
Chechessee Creek Club

+1 on Chechessee Creek Club. Great call for a great course and club!  I was just there in March and I am not sure how I left it off my list...

Bill Crane

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
Chechessee Creek Club +1 Charming and interesting course and fairly flat. I've had a number of 36 hole days there.

Springdale - my home course; compact, walkable and only a few walks between green and tee.

WmFlynnfan

Brandon Urban

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
Last year, Eric Smith did his at the Nicklaus course at Dismal River.

This is, by far, one of the greatest athletic accomplishments I have ever heard of. Eric is a beast... or as CJ says, relentless.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Bill Seitz

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:49:09 AM »
Well, I'll admit to serious bias, but based on the tees and pins we played last year, I can't imagine doing it anywhere other than Kingsley.  The 12 to 13 walk is brutal, but there are contingencies for 1, 5, and 9 that make it workable.  Most importantly, there is no shot at the Kingsley Club that I ever get tired of playing.  Every drive, every approach, every pitch after a poorly played approach (there are a lot of those), and every putt is something I look forward to playing.   Other courses are more walkable, but few courses I've played are more interesting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:27:19 AM by Bill Seitz »

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
Well, I'll admit to serious bias, but based on the tees and pins we played last year, I can't imagine doing it anywhere other than Kingsley.  The 12 to 13 walk is brutal, but there are contingencies for 1, 5, and 9 that make it workable.  Most importantly, there is no shot at the Kingsley Club that I ever get tired of playing.  Every drive, every approach, every pitch after a poorly played approach (there are a lot of those), and every putt is something I look forward to playing.   Other courses are more walkable, but few courses I've played are more interesting.

Bill,

I think I know what you mean...there's just something about Kingsley.

My only time there was a whirlwind 54 hole GCA fun-fest back in 2009, and now nearly 4 years later I can still vividly remember each hole and many of the shots I played over the 2 days. And I have a tough time remembering what course I played last week.

Immensely fun and interesting...and memorable  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back