News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Clubhouse Location
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
NGLA, Shinnecock, Sebonack, Friars Head, Montclair, Essex County, The Knoll, Mountain Ridge, Riviera, LACC, Bel Air, Southern Hills, Glen Ridge, Forest Hills are just a few that come to mind on properties that have significant elevation changes at the perimeter of the property.

At the moment I can't think of any that have the clubhouse sited at the bottom of a property that has significant elevation changes at the perimeter.

Stonewall's clubhouse is pretty much at the bottom of the property, which rises between 75-100 feet on either flank and out toward the entrance.  It's a cool setting for golf.  It does not have a great view ... but I've always questioned whether people appreciate the views out of clubhouses nearly as much as conventional wisdom says they do.  [For example:  who looks out of the clubhouse at Riviera?]

Stone Eagle's "aerie" is also near the bottom of the golf course, and the planned clubhouse [never built] was supposed to be 300 feet below the entire course.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Clubhouse Location New
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
NGLA, Shinnecock, Sebonack, Friars Head, Montclair, Essex County, The Knoll, Mountain Ridge, Riviera, LACC, Bel Air, Southern Hills, Glen Ridge, Forest Hills are just a few that come to mind on properties that have significant elevation changes at the perimeter of the property.

At the moment I can't think of any that have the clubhouse sited at the bottom of a property that has significant elevation changes at the perimeter.

Stonewall's clubhouse is pretty much at the bottom of the property, which rises between 75-100 feet on either flank and out toward the entrance.  

Tom,

I've never seen Stonewall.   Was the clubhouse site predetermined before you submitted your plan, or did you have free reign to site both the clubhouse and the course ?

It's a cool setting for golf.  It does not have a great view ... but I've always questioned whether people appreciate the views out of clubhouses nearly as much as conventional wisdom says they do.  [For example:  who looks out of the clubhouse at Riviera?]
Probably guests attending weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and other parties

Stone Eagle's "aerie" is also near the bottom of the golf course, and the planned clubhouse [never built] was supposed to be 300 feet below the entire course.

Who chose the clubhouse site ?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:25:27 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Clubhouse Location
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 12:40:12 AM »
The view from the clubhouse at Reddish Vale is terrific, looking down across the river valley  where most of the course is sited.

The problem with having the clubhouse in such an elevated position however, is this...

... our notorious 18th hole.

It is often conjectured that MacKenzie had to compromise on this hole in order to return to the manor house around which the course was laid out. However, in a letter to the club after his initial visit he described the house as being in 'an ideal situation'. This suggests, to me at least, that Dr Mac was more than happy with such a steep closing hole.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:54:04 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back