News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

The Passing of Ken Venturi
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
Sadly Ken Venturi passed away, when reading an article I saw that he is credited with designing 3 golf courses, Sunny Hills GC, Oak Hills GC, and and Eagle Creek GC, has anyone played these courses and how are they? Does anyone know if Ken was active in the design or simply threw his name on the projects?

noonan

Re: The Passing of Ken Venturi
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Rip Ken

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:49:21 PM »
About Eagle Creek in Naples, FL, I believe he lived for there awhile before moving to Palm Springs. It was not an original design:

http://www.eaglecreekcc.org/club/scripts/golf/view_course.asp?CID=508&GRP=10074&NS=PG
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »
RIP

Steve Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  I enjoyed him on TV.  RIP.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
A great player but an even better announcer. I used to love watching stroke savers during his telecasts on CBS . Some of his great calls were "you couldn't walk it out there any better" when a player in contention piped one off 18 down the middle. Last month on a trip to SF we had dinner at Scomas in the Venturi room after a round at SFGC. Classy guy who was a hell of a player despite an injury shortened career. I'm sad to hear yet another childhood idol has passed. The tower in heaven on 18 has reunited Kenny and Pat Summerall.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »
My wife and I were fortunate to know him and spend time with him. A humble wonderful person, without ego or a trace of arrogance. He will be missed.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
His Sunday at Congressional in the hot and humid 1964 U. S. Open was perhaps the best 36 hole day ever. 

I don't think he ever got over his loss to Palmer at the Masters, never agreed with the ruling Arnie got that saved the win. 

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
His Sunday at Congressional in the hot and humid 1964 U. S. Open was perhaps the best 36 hole day ever. 

I don't think he ever got over his loss to Palmer at the Masters, never agreed with the ruling Arnie got that saved the win. 
Bill, I agree that Ken had a difficult time with the Palmer loss. Easy to see why- Palmer was certainly the golden child in golf at that point and to this day I find it odd that they would not allow Venturi to be paired with Byron Nelson because they felt it would give Venturi an advantage playing with his good friend and mentor. That was an example of how they influenced the toon aments outcome. Palmer someday will come clean on the embedded ball. Venturi should have at least one green jacket.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »
For me, being 42, the iconic voice of golf. 

"Jimmy, you absolutely can't give away the hole on this putt.  No way, no how."

Jack, that is classic Venturi.  I agree that the stroke savers were worth the price of admission.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:47:58 PM »
Jack, you're mixing and matching Masters a bit.  The issue with Nelson came up when Venturi was an amateur, at the 1956 Masters.  The Palmer drop came in 1958.  And IIRC, the coup de gras for Ken at Augusta came in 1960, when he was being toasted as the winner, only to see Arnie birdie the last two holes and snatch victory from him. 

btw, I think I read here on GCA that there was more to the Nelson incident than meets the eye, but I never heard the exact details. 

astavrides

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »
I have always hit greenside bunkers shots from a tip I heard him give (clip off the top of an imaginary tee under the ball).

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »
RIP, Kenny. You'll be missed.

A nice collection of tributes and obits via Geoff's site:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/5/17/remembering-the-life-times-of-ken-venturi.html

Also, Ken was also instrumental in the restoration/renovation of the Cal Club, where he was a member. Ran's super interview with Allan Jamieson includes this story:

In 2005 our committee interviewed 9 architects in a first round and 5 in a second round as we grappled with the question of how much work we wanted to accomplish and how much we could afford. Walking our course and talking to these accomplished men about golf history and architecture was an experience we all treasured. They were all such nice people that our regret was that only one would get the job.  It soon became apparent that while replacing greens started the conversation, the course needed much more modernization to its infrastructure to be viable, even without changes to the routing. Mr. Venturi attended several  meetings and cautioned about doing too little and then requiring serial fixes for years to come.  At an evening meeting with the general membership prior to a vote, Ken stood shoulder to shoulder with Kyle Phillips and told us, “You get one chance to do this, and you don’t get a mulligan.” But that is getting way ahead of the story as Ken’s words of wisdom were the culmination of a passionate debate about the project over a period of approximately 12 months.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/calclub2/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
I interviewed Ken before the 1991 Western Open at Cog Hill, which is around the corner from Gleneagles, where he won the 1958 and 1959 Gleneagles-Chicago Opens. Those were the only two played. Ken remembered the course, the owners, everything, and had a great line: "I'm still the defending champion of the Chicago Open."

He was generous with his time with me, and was tickled that the McNulty family, which has owned the course for generations, would invite him back for a celebratory lunch. A wonderful guy.

CBS should have a great tribute to him on today's telecast from the tournament named for his mentor, Byron Nelson, on the day he always called "Moving Day."
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 03:54:22 AM »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 04:26:50 AM »
The two iconic voices of the game from my childhood are now gone, within weeks of each other.

I guess Pat didn't have to wait too long to see his friend.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 06:47:37 AM »
I saw an out-take once of a Ken Venturi stroke saver where he was showing how to lag putt from about 60' where he turned his back to the hole and flipped the ball over his shoulder and it went it - they had to bleep out a lot of the language but they were laughing and showed that he was really a down to earth kind of guy.  His interview with Feherty was really insightful.  He was a credit to the game.  RIP

Matt Bosela

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 10:15:21 PM »
About Eagle Creek in Naples, FL, I believe he lived for there awhile before moving to Palm Springs. It was not an original design:

http://www.eaglecreekcc.org/club/scripts/golf/view_course.asp?CID=508&GRP=10074&NS=PG

This is the wrong Eagle Creek if I'm not mistaken.

He is a co-designer of Eagle Creek in Canada, just outside of Ottawa.

http://eaglecreek.clublink.ca/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=327582&ssid=222615&vnf=1

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 12:54:03 AM »
Tell you what.... I make fun of Jim Nantz a lot, but my heart genuinely went out to him today. That must have been one tough broadcast.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Andrew Brown

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:56 AM »
I always found the story of the 1964 US Open inspiring. I also enjoyed Ken Venturi's work as a commentator. One line I always have remembered from years ago was, "that's right out of the blueprint" for a good shot. I said it immediately after flushing a 6 iron approach as It sailed towards the pin yesterday. It stopped a foot from the hole. One of the guys asked me what I had said - remember this is Norway and he wasn't familiar with the phrase - but he thought it appropriate and befitting of such a shot.  :)

RIP Mr Venturi.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »
I first met Ken Venturi right after he won the 1964 Open.

He came to my home course to play an exhibition match against my dad for a charity.
He also gave a clinic prior to the round.

He was a very down to earth individual, a regular "guy's guy".

There were several things I remember about him.

One was his forearms.  They were very powerful and no doubt a great asset in his ball striking.
The other was his dress.
Grey slacks, white shirt, white cap.  I think he emulated Hogan and Nelson in many ways.
His demeanor was exceptional, he was friendly and open to everyone.
We spent several hours together after the round talking about everything under the sun.

Years later he wrote a book which I would recommend to everyone.
I'll look into my collection for the name, but, it was a fascinating story about his early life.

Years after 1964 I would run into him at various golf courses.

At Jupiter Hills one year, he spent an hour with me and showed me how to hit a shot from off the green from everything from a 2-iron to a putter, keeping the basic stroke the same, just modifying the power that went into the stroke and the run you wanted.

I think his Carpel Tunnel might have also been associated Reynaud's Phenomenon.

On a few occassions we discussed his "golf" interests, the Senior Tour, playing, practicing and the Masters he almost won.

Years later, in the library at USGA headquarters, I was fortunate enough to be alone with Byron Nelson, who was traditionallly paired with the third round leader of the Masters.  Instead, because Nelson was Venturi's mentor, the Masters changed the traditional pairing and had him play with Snead.  I think he hit 15 greens, but, lost the tournament with a final round 80.  I asked Byron if he thought Venturi would have won had they been paired together.  He said "absolutely."  He said that he pleaded with Cliff Roberts and others NOT to change the pairing, but, to no avail.  Venturi, to his credit, never blamed his loss on the change in pairing.   

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
When I was in high school, my mom's boss, who was a member at Firestone CC, would always give me his tournament badges for the practice rounds and first two rounds. So I would take a couple friends and we would spend all week at the tournament. With member badges, we could eat breakfast and lunch in the clubhouse and even got to meet some of the pros.

But I do remember the time we met Ken Venturi.  He was driving around the course in his CBS Sports cart before the telecast.  He must have noticed us because he actually came up to us and asked us where we were from and whether we played competitive golf (none of us advanced past high school golf), but he encouraged us to practice and not take the game too seriously. He seemed like a really down-to-earth guy, especially for going out of his way to introduce himself and speak with a group of young guys out to watch the pros practice at the hometown tournament.

RIP, Mr. Venturi.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
Through my work with golf sponsorships, I went down to Dallas for the Byron Nelson event for a few years.  In 2008, I came back from a client dinner and stopped at the hotel bar for "just one more" to quote Bill Raftery.  An older couple were seated at the end of the bar and I took a quick glance as I sat a few seats down, we were the only ones there at the time.  Upon ordering my drink, the gentleman asked if I had played in the Pro Am that day.  I'm normally very good at recognizing people, but struggled this one time.  I was 90% sure it was Ken Venturi but didn't want to embarras myself.  We chatted for a minute and I noticed he had a beautiful ring that I suspected had his family crest.  I commented on the ring and asked if that was his family crest to which he said yes.  I asked what his last name was..."Venturi" was the reply.  I introduced myself to he and his wife and we chatted for about 10 minutes.  Ironically, in the last month I had played Congressional and read "The Match".  I mentioned both...I asked if that day was the most well played golf by a match in history.  He said that he was biased, but yes-he did think it was.  He said that he had always hoped that someone would write a book about it as he felt the golf and sports world should hear about it-and complimented Mark Frost for capturing it perfectly in print. 

It was a quick conversation, but for someone who grew up watching him on CBS golf telecasts-it was quite a night.

RIP Ken

Mike

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
    Met Ken at a cocktail party in Vegas at the old Dunes CC ( NLE) in the 70's. You could tell he was a nice guy , very sensitive. He introduced me to Dean Martin and I was a big fan of his and Kenny also took me over to meet Charley Callas.

Ken Venturi-All I can do is echo what Jack said --He gave back more to the game than he took--That's aces in my book--Those gentlemen are few and far between but Ken belonged in that club. Hope we have a whole bunch of Ken Venturis to come.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »
I met him twice, the last time in 2009 at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco during the Presidents Cup.

Ken was a proud San Franciscan and never forgot his roots.

During that morning myself and Richard Harris had breakfast with the president of the USGA and we were leaving the restaurant.  I noticed Ken and Kathleen checking out of the hotel and went over to say hello.   I told Ken we were involved in the effort to save Sharp Park golf course and his eyes lit up with anger.  He said he had been reading the news reports and couldn't believe that the environmentalists were trying to shut it down.  Unsolicited, he said he wanted to be involved and we could use him in anyway.   From that moment he became the honorary chairman of the San Francisco Golf Alliance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back