News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Patrick_Mucci

In what year did the
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
green jacket tradition begin at ANGC ?

Not for the winnners of the Masters, but, for the members ?

jeffwarne

Re: In what year did the
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
More importantly, when did the phrase green "coat" become the phrase green "jacket"? ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
More importantly, when did the phrase green "coat" become the phrase green "jacket"? ::) ::)

When some moron applied a coat of green paint to a beige jacket.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Pat,

Why don't you just drop the word moron from your vocabulary? Your constant use of it in an effort to make it look like it is just you joking around doesn't ring true, and makes you look like a big phony.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
From golf.about.com:

The tradition of the Green Jacket at Augusta National Golf Club dates to 1937. That year, members of the club wore green jackets during the tournament so that fans in attendance could easily recognize them if a fan needed to ask questions.

According to the tournament's official website, Masters.com:

"Jackets were purchased from the Brooks Uniform Company, New York City ... Members were not initially enthusiastic about wearing the warm, green coat. Within several years, a lightweight, made-to-order Jacket was available from the Club's Golf Shop. ... The single breasted, single vent Jacket's color is 'Masters Green' and is adorned with an Augusta National Golf Club logo on the left chest pocket. The logo also appears on the brass buttons."

Soon, the Green Jacket became the symbol of membership in the ultra-exclusive Augusta National Golf Club. And slipping a jacket onto the winner of The Masters - a tradition that began in 1949 - symbolized that golfer's entry into the exclusive club of Masters champions.

Full link here:

http://golf.about.com/od/majorchampionships/f/green_jacket.htm
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Garland,

Feel free to use whichever words you choose when posting, and I'll continue to do the same.

Perhaps you missed Jeff's prior post.

Joe,

I saw that source.

How reliable is is ?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »

Joe,

I saw that source.

How reliable is is ?

I read it on the Internet.  It must be true.

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:30 PM »

Joe,

I saw that source.

How reliable is is ?

I read it on the Internet.  It must be true.

Bon Jour  ;D

;)

David Minogue

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:33:23 AM »
Pat,

When I interned at Pine Valley a couple of years back I believe someone told me that Augusta copied PV with the green jacket they just went with a different colour green. The jackets of the members at PV are alot darker green then the famous Augusta green.

Cheers.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:35 AM »
Patrick you may have noticed someone ditched their name from the site as they didn't want the word moron to turn up next to their name when potential business clients do searches on their name. Your little game can have a wider impact that you may not fully appreciate.
Cave Nil Vino

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

Pat,

When I interned at Pine Valley a couple of years back I believe someone told me that Augusta copied PV with the green jacket they just went with a different colour green. The jackets of the members at PV are alot darker green then the famous Augusta green.
]

David,

The question I would ask is when did PV start their green Jacket tradition ?

ANGC opened in 1934 and it's reported that the jacket tradition started in 1937

PV opened around 1918, so when did their green jacket tradition start ?

Did GCGC, opened in 1899 preceed both

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:28:51 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

David Minogue

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Pat,

You have obviously heard this idiom before ''imitation is the best form of flattery'' . I have limited knowledge of what the members wore at GCGC but It would not surprise me if they had started the custom of the green jacket. The prominent people at the time seemed to be involved in most of those great courses in the NewJersey/Philadelphia area. I guess there would have been people who were members at GCGC who may have been involved during the formation of PV. I wonder would members at Augusta take umbrage that the sacred green jacket was just an idea copied from one of those clubs???

Cheers.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Pat,

David,

The question I would ask is when did PV start their green Jacket tradition ?

ANGC opened in 1934 and it's reported that the jacket tradition started in 1937

PV opened around 1918, so when did their green jacket tradition start ?

Did GCGC, opened in 1899 preceed both

Given that it was the first golf club in existence, I'd say that The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers preceded them all with their red coats...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
Waverley Country Club may have been involved. Bobby Jones went to the 1936 US Amateur at Alderwood in Portland. Chandler Egan had died earlier that year and there were events planned in his memory. During his ttime in Portland he played a friendly game at Waverley and would have noticed the green jackets worn by the members, whom I'd guess helped marshal the onlookers..

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
David,

When ANGC opened, it had an inordinate number of NY/NYC members.

GCGC and NGLA were prominent clubs prior to PV's opening.

The question is, did the green jacket start at GCGC and/or with the Travis, or PV, or ANGC.
I would think that the minutes of these clubs might have the answer as to the date of origin.

Ally,

In those days, I would imagine that jackets were the normal attire for all in the clubhouse and that the red jackets provided the element of distinction.

The question is, in the U.S.  where and when did the tradition first appear ?

Pete,

Jones had played at GCGC prior to 1937.
How often, I'm not sure, but, it would appear that the ANGC tradition was imported, not invented.

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
For a period of time the low-am also received a green jacket.  I have photos of Ward and Patton in green jackets in the early-mid 1950's.  .

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »
For a period of time the low-am also received a green jacket.  I have photos of Ward and Patton in green jackets in the early-mid 1950's.  .

Jeff,

Interesting.

But, are you sure that Ward and Patton, two local/regional favorites, weren't members or honorary members ?

At one time all quarter-finalists in the U.S. Amateur received invitations, which was very nice.

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Pat -

Patton became a member later and Harvie was never a member. Harvie told me they received the jackets for low am. In 1952 Cliff Roberts sent a letter to Harvie congratulating him on his British Am win and said in the letter that they have created a low am trophy with him in mind but that he and Jones would prefer he just go ahead and win the whole thing. Roberts also said in the letter that Harvie had an invitation for life to play in the tournament. It is one of the coolest letters about golf I have had the privilege to hold and read.

David Minogue

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
Pat,

I think it would be interesting if you could track down some information regarding the origin of the green jacket. There is definitely something behind GCGC, PV and possibly NGLA being the inspiration for one another and Augusta National.

Cheers.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
Jeff,

Initially, The Masters was very favorably disposed to the "amateur".

Certainly that was a byproduct of the reverence for and "spirit" of Bobby Jones.

Billy Joe and Ken Venturi could have won The Masters.
Maybe Don Cherry and a few others.

Harvey's turning Pro might have had something to do with his never being a member.

Doubtful an amateur could do it today, although that 14 year old from China will be looked upon as a possibility in the future, as long as he doesn't discover girls first.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Pat,

I think it would be interesting if you could track down some information regarding the origin of the green jacket. There is definitely something behind GCGC, PV and possibly NGLA being the inspiration for one another and Augusta National.

David,

I have it on a fairly reliable source that ANGC wasn't the first.

Archival searches might produce the dates that they were first used by the membership or by those officiating a tournament at the other clubs.

Cheers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back