News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: GCA outing at Pine Dunes June 14/15
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »
I've gotten another confirmation, waiting on one more.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
great..no rush, doing all the booking on Friday.

Steve Lang

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
 8) Sam,

where are you planning on playing fri or sun?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »
8) Sam,

where are you planning on playing fri or sun?

I don't know about Friday yet, need to check with my crew on their schedules. Sunday I will play at home, we will be heading back late Saturday since my other 3 are all Dads.

I've got David McBride, Keith Kirkendall, and Jon Milburn

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
Okay Gents..it is all booked for Friday night and saturdays golf.
Nine people staying three in each condo, 9:00 and 2:00 teetimes..options abound for lunch which we can decide when we get there.
Eleven people total to play.
Just to check I have not missed anybody...this is who I haVE
Jackson Chen
Sam Morrow plus3
Steve Lang and missus..just for play
Greg Clark
Lou Duran
Me and Kel Devlin.

Look forwrad to seeing you all
mwp

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
Okay Gents..it is all booked for Friday night and saturdays golf.
Nine people staying three in each condo, 9:00 and 2:00 teetimes..options abound for lunch which we can decide when we get there.
Eleven people total to play.
Just to check I have not missed anybody...this is who I haVE
Jackson Chen
Sam Morrow plus3
Steve Lang and missus..just for play
Greg Clark
Lou Duran
Me and Kel Devlin.

Look forwrad to seeing you all
mwp

Thanks for setting all this up! Are the restaurant and bar open late or is there a kitchen in the rooms?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »
Both...are possibilities Sam...dont know what is around the area re dinner for Friday night?
But hopefully we can all gather around close to seven and go out ot eat somewhere.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
Bringing your own "bevergaes" to the condo is 1005 kosher with the owners, you can bring whatever you want.
As Lou just suggetsed we can even cook out on the patio, steaks etc... if that is what the consensus is..sounds great to me.
Burgers and the fixin's for example?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »
Bringing your own "bevergaes" to the condo is 1005 kosher with the owners, you can bring whatever you want.
As Lou just suggetsed we can even cook out on the patio, steaks etc... if that is what the consensus is..sounds great to me.
Burgers and the fixin's for example?

I'm up for anything for dinner that night, I know our car will probably be packed down with booze for the after party.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
Bump, almost trip time

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
 :D Sam, are you getting anxious?... its still two weeks out!

where are you warming up??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:30 PM »
:D Sam, are you getting anxious?... its still two weeks out!

where are you warming up??

It's less than 2 weeks. Heck, the golf is almost secondary at these things, I love sitting around the night before drinking too much and shooting the shit.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »
Is everybody still planning on getting in around 7? Our caravan from The Woodlands will probably be there a little early.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
Is everybody still planning on getting in around 7? Our caravan from The Woodlands will probably be there a little early.

Don't be too optimistic, David McBride has never been on time for anything!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
Every tee time I've been late for in the last 6 months was cause of him, I'm telling him an earlier time or The Jackal will get him.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
I will certainly be there by then..everybody up for burgers, if so I can get all the stuff on the way there, meat,buns etc?
Plan on eating about 7.30 to 8.00?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Those interested in the burgers please let me know, so that I know how much food to buy...thanks

Sam Morrow

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
I will certainly be there by then..everybody up for burgers, if so I can get all the stuff on the way there, meat,buns etc?
Plan on eating about 7.30 to 8.00?

That should work for my crew, thanks!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »
One without the bun for my partner allergic to gluten.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
Want to thank Michael for setting all this up and everyone for coming, it was a good time on a very tough golf course!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
Great fun golf course in great shape even if the greens were a little grainey.  Great layout with super green complexes it really was s wonderful day thanks to all who made it

Lou_Duran

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
Great fun golf course in great shape even if the greens were a little grainey.  Great layout with super green complexes it really was s wonderful day thanks to all who made it

MWP,

Thanks for putting this together.  It was nice meeting new people and reacquainting with the others.  The folks in Tyler, Frankston, and Pine Dunes were extremely friendly and helpful, which is pretty normal for those parts.

Two things were reinforced for me on Saturday.  On the positive side, PD has a great collection of par 4s, three very interesting par 5s, and a good variety of par 3s.  It is a challenging yet very playable course (not many lost balls).  The routing is relatively tight- it is very walkable- and it flows well (#18 needs some help, maybe a super-risky sliver of fairway right of the fairway bunkers in what is now gunch).  Without a doubt, PD is an architecturally significant course.

You alluded to the negative, grainy greens.  The greens are full of interest and looked great, but, in my opinion, putted horribly.  I am not a big fan of Bermuda to begin with, and few clubs seem to spend the money verticutting and rolling frequently enough to maintain the ultradwarfs so they perform like bent.  You could literally hear the friction caused by the grain and the ball rolling on PD's TifEagle greens.   Pitches and chips sometimes grabbed immediately, other times they rolled out.  For a guy that hits the ball as poorly as me, if I can't score with my short game, golf is not fun.

Fortunately for PD, this is something that could be remedied with the will and some budget.   Perhaps their target market doesn't value a good roll; I can't imagine the average golfer liking grain.  I finally had to change my grip and go to a punch stroke, but even with that, I three putted my final hole (#4) after hitting two of my better shots of the day to get on the green.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »
I don't know about the growing season there but here in South Carolina any Bermuda greens that haven't been aggressively punched and top-dressed by now are going to be a grainy nightmare. We aerated ours at the usual time and the last week before the punching they were by far the worst I've seen at this club in the past decade. Maybe Pine Dunes has experienced a similar super aggressive Bermuda growing season this year, as well.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
Brent,
I agree, but unfortunately I am not sure when they were last treated with the luxury of aeration or veticutting, that is what concerns me a little.
Hard question to ask without appearing rude and critical, but I will find out somehow.
At Texarkana CC we treated ours a week ago, and expect them to be back to perfect in a couple of weeks.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
Brent,

Up until this past week, it has been a relatively mild spring in north Texas with some spells of unseasonably cold/cool weather.  While aeration (2-4x annually) and top dressing are requirements for bermudas (and bents), the ultradwarfs also need to be verticut regularly (I've heard 3-5 times per week).  Rolling is also supposed to be part of the routine.  I would be curious to learn how often your superintendent verticuts and rolls.  I asked the asst. at my home course and he said "at least a couple of times a month".  The greens are also TifEagle and very grainy (my days there are probably numbered).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back