News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Why we Minnesotans are miserable
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I know they are taking the covers off at my place as I write this, which is great. But my gut says we won't be open until at least mid next week.
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
In case anyone has been wondering...

We're not miserable anymore. Friday, Saturday and today have all been spectacular days here. In the 70s Friday and yesterday; headed there today, too.

Most of the courses are open. The Twins are at .500. The Wild have sneaked into the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Everyone says the Vikings killed this draft.

Hate things here? Wait a few days!

Here's Tuesday, at my home:

Here's Friday evening, on Wayzata Bay of Lake Minnetonka. There's one boater who's been as eager for the arrival of Spring as all of us golfers have been:

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Howard Riefs

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
Super to see and hear.

Time to change the subject of the thread: "Re: Why we Minnesotans are were miserable."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Kelly

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
Super to see and hear.

Time to change the subject of the thread: "Re: Why we Minnesotans are were miserable."

That coding seems to work doesn't seem to work on the thread title! Did the best I could....

PCCraig

Looks like we're opening at 10am on Wednesday. Going from a March 17th opening date to May 1 in one year...unreal!
H.P.S.

Jeff Shelman

I was pleased to get out both days this past weekend. It was great to get back on the course and knock it around.

My club also opens tomorrow on May 1. The super believes that latest opening on record, later than the April 28 opening in 1973.

It's been an awful spring here. I hope that means that it is going to be an awesome summer.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:01:01 PM by Jeff Shelman »

Dan Kelly

Speaking of expecting to be miserable again someday:

Someday has arrived.

I just canceled my first tee time of the year, at Jeff's (and my) new club. It was supposed to be tomorrow at 3 p.m. -- at which point, the meteorologists are PROMISING (100% chance -- a rarity) a "wintry mix" of rain and snow, with a high for the day of 46 degrees.

I'm hungry for golf, but not hungry enough, as it turns out, to go out into those conditions on what is almost certainly a soggy course to begin with.

PCCraig

Someday has arrived.

I just canceled my first tee time of the year, at Jeff's (and my) new club. It was supposed to be tomorrow at 3 p.m. -- at which point, the meteorologists are PROMISING (100% chance -- a rarity) a "wintry mix" of rain and snow, with a high for the day of 46 degrees.

I'm hungry for golf, but not hungry enough, as it turns out, to go out into those conditions on what is almost certainly a soggy course to begin with.

Yes...this is beyond brutal. 4 or 5 days of 70* weather and a closed course...now it's finally opening and it's going to snow again!

Oh well. At least our bunker renovation program officially started today.
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

Someday has arrived.

Yes...this is beyond brutal. 4 or 5 days of 70* weather and a closed course...now it's finally opening and it's going to snow again!

I can use the break after playing 4 days in a row.

PCCraig

Someday has arrived.

I can use the break after playing 4 days in a row.

Had to rub it in!!!! ;)
H.P.S.

Rick Shefchik

Another speed bump: this was my Stillwater, MN, backyard this morning, May 2:

If this were Tucson, we'd be playing tomorrow. Unfortunately, the forecast high is 44 today, 47 tomorrow. Saturday we have a chance to reach 50.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Howard Riefs

As I referenced in my push to get more people to join the 2014 Streamsong outing...

Plus, doesn't the Minnesota crew realize that this is as close as they'll get to golf in March next year?  

Sadly, I could have added "...April...May..."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Kelly

Another speed bump: this was my Stillwater, MN, backyard this morning, May 2:

If this were Tucson, we'd be playing tomorrow. Unfortunately, the forecast high is 44 today, 47 tomorrow. Saturday we have a chance to reach 50.

A few dozen miles south or east of there, and Rick would have been looking at a foot or more!

On my side of town: Nada!

JLahrman

On the bright side...Dan, I love the look of your house (assuming it's the blue home you posted). How many inches did you get? I read some places in Minnesota just got 18 inches.

Dan Kelly

On the bright side...Dan, I love the look of your house (assuming it's the blue home you posted). How many inches did you get? I read some places in Minnesota just got 18 inches.

J --

Yep, that's my house (a blue-green -- on the greener side, actually). It's got some goofy elements, but we're fond of it.

We got not a single flake yesterday -- but it's snowing again today, and my wife just called to say it's snowing there again.

Won't stick for long -- if at all!

How's that for the bright side?

And if that's not bright enough ... here's the song one of my readers wants played at her funeral (with the congregation taking the whistling part):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Dan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back