News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Why we Minnesotans are miserable
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
La Nina or El Nino?

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
And I moved south to live here. Not far enough, obviously.

Reminds me of that old Alka-Seltzer commercial, with the hitchhiker in a blinding snowstorm and a sign saying "Miami."

Guy pulls over, rolls down the window, says "Sorry. I'm only going as far as Fort Lauderdale," and drives off.

That's my recollection of it, anyway.

I remember that one, too. The joke, if I recall correctly, is that the dumb hitch-hiker waves the guy on.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 04:15:46 PM »
And I moved south to live here. Not far enough, obviously.

Reminds me of that old Alka-Seltzer commercial, with the hitchhiker in a blinding snowstorm and a sign saying "Miami."

Guy pulls over, rolls down the window, says "Sorry. I'm only going as far as Fort Lauderdale," and drives off.

That's my recollection of it, anyway.

I remember that one, too. The joke, if I recall correctly, is that the dumb hitch-hiker waves the guy on.

You might be right -- though I'm at a loss to see how Alka-Seltzer could remedy that particular problem.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
Good News- 70 in Chicago today

Bad News- 36 hours of rain and extensive flooding....   :-\

Jud:

Just saw a photo of the 16th Green at OFN, which is now an island.  Wonder how many courses are going to see some damage.  My bet is Winnetka is under water, Glen View is having their usual problems, the 10th at Flossmoor is a bit soggy and everything else with a creek running through it is having an issue.

Harborside, from what I hear, has achieved their target conditioning.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

RJ_Daley

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Harborside, from what I hear, has achieved their target conditioning.

Sven

Good one!!!  ;D

How'bout that sink hole swallowing cars in the area?   :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »
Every year I say the streets couldn't get much worse, and every year I'm proved wrong.

There's a pot hole in our alley that I think they're mining salt out of. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Every year I say the streets couldn't get much worse, and every year I'm proved wrong.

There's a pot hole in our alley that I think they're mining salt out of. 

Send a note to Mosaic. Could become Streamsong II!
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tony Weiler

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »
Way long winter here in No Dak, as well!  Record 17.7 inches of snow Sunday into Monday, an all time record for one day, and that's any day in any winter!  We need it to warm up, but not too fast or it will be a flood! 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »
Way long winter here in No Dak, as well!  Record 17.7 inches of snow Sunday into Monday, an all time record for one day, and that's any day in any winter!  We need it to warm up, but not too fast or it will be a flood! 

I went to college at Concordia Moorhead and the Red River flooded most years.  I can't imagine what it will be like this year.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lang

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »
 8) are ya'll trying for 20,000 Lakes??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »
Steve, at least after y'all's tongues are parched and dried as the last remanant of surface and ground water has dried up in that impending dust bowl of Texas, we of the lands of 10s of 1000s of lakes and great lakes will be able to wet our whistles, economically, and with good taste.  ;) ;D 8)  Would y'all like to buy some?  8)

Steve Lang

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
 8) RJ,

That's why we spend a month or so every summer along the 40th parallel in Mich... never more than 5 miles from water, and being able to sleep with windows open at night!

p.s. not so bad in SE Tx, but could always be better

p.s.s. are they still talking about routing Lake Mich water to the SW?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:20:55 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »
Well that sounds like the best of both worlds.  If we are called 'snow birds' for our winter escape and migration south, what is the term for the summer south's migration north?  If there is a well known term, it doesn't instantly come to mind.  Muggy dodgers?  ::)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »
Six to 10 more inches forecast for tonight.

I would try to say something funny, but it's quite impossible.

Which reminds me of Murray Slaughter, told that Ted Baxter is writing his autobiography: "Ted's writing his autobiography.... The greatest straight line I ever had, and nothing's coming to me."

PCCraig

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »
Six to 10 more inches forecast for tonight.

I would try to say something funny, but it's quite impossible.

Which reminds me of Murray Slaughter, told that Ted Baxter is writing his autobiography: "Ted's writing his autobiography.... The greatest straight line I ever had, and nothing's coming to me."

Dan,

This is insult to injury. At least it'll melt quick as it's foretasted to be in the 70's this weekend! I think we're looking at a first weekend in May open.
H.P.S.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
This all just makes me sad and depressed.

What wasn't awesome was dropping off a check for April dues at my club over the weekend knowing I will almost certainly get zero rounds of golf in during the month.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
This all just makes me sad and depressed.

What wasn't awesome was dropping off a check for April dues at my club over the weekend knowing I will almost certainly get zero rounds of golf in during the month.

That "almost" in "almost certainly" is the most optimistic thing I've heard in days.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
You guys better straighten that weather out, since I will be there tomorrow!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lang

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Well that sounds like the best of both worlds.  If we are called 'snow birds' for our winter escape and migration south, what is the term for the summer south's migration north?  If there is a well known term, it doesn't instantly come to mind.  Muggy dodgers?  ::)

try damn MIch & Ohio migrant golfing yankees!  (DMOMGY)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:22:16 AM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »
This is what Minnesota's spring in the year 2013 looks like.

April 22, 2013, minutes ago; the snow began 90 minutes ago:

Sure, it's pretty, but ... so are green (or brown) fairways!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
More in Denver today too. That's five accumulating snows in April this year.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2013, 07:06:33 AM »
April 2013 is officially the snowiest month EVER in Duluth MN. Cloquet CC ( just SW of DLH) reported 31 inches on the ground this past weekend before the 8-10 inches yesterday. I remember mid May openings (or close to it) when I was a kid there but not recently. Looks like it this year. It is beyond humorous even to those of us who fled decades ago and usually revel in their bad weather.

Steve Lang

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:32 AM »
 8)  was 80 in Houston yesterday, same today ,,,  in case anyone cared,,, will get down to 40 weds am but, don;t worry about us... we'll be ok  ;D
The voice of Inverness"

Jud_T

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
There's a reason they didn't build the Mall of America in San Diego...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Kelly

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
It's drop-dead gorgeous in the Twin Cities this morning -- unless, of course, you want it to be Spring in late April.

I heard mention of 70-something temps this weekend -- and a rumor of our driving range opening next week. It'll be crowded!

I'm comforted to know that it's nice in Houston these days -- but not nearly so comforted as I am by the fact that I don't have to live there through the summer....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back