News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Pennard's Neighbour: Clyne GC
« on: July 25, 2003, 10:24:55 AM »
Five minutes drive from Pennard is Clyne GC.  A downland course in a similar style to the more famous Southerndown.  The bunkering is a bit rudimentary, but the routing takes in the rolling terrain well and the greens are interestingly contoured and true.  It's on common land... the sheep.

It's probably not worth sacrificing a round at Pennard, simply because Pennard is so good.  But there are fine views over The Mumbles and if you want change from that humpy, bumpy links:

(I'd like to see it with the gorse in bloom and a finer day)

(No prizes for guessing the architect)

Super downhill 3rd.  NB The course with ugly trees in the background isn't Clyne.

Looking back up the 3rd.

Short 4th over gorsey valley

Short 8th

Short 12th

Approach 13th

Approach 14th

Short 17th

Downhill finish
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 10:29:13 AM by P_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mike Hendren

Re:Pennard's Neighbour: Clyne GC
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 10:35:29 AM »
Splendid, Paul.  I can only assume the 14th plays as well as it looks :o   Love the observation tower/ladder, but am concerned about the bloody J B grazing at the last.  Perhaps this is some otherworldly warning for a certain LSU Tiger or Barney to stay away or either their handiwork with a spray can.

"And the whole town said the boy should have used red, but it looked good to Charlene - in John Deere green." - Joe Difffie

Your man is indeed a genius.

Regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 10:37:07 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 11:09:45 AM »
Laddie that was not lost on me either. I had a wee lassie on the plane home last week who just finished at Glasgow U. i asked her what names the locals called girls and she said Pet and Lamb were a few of them. She also noted that most girls lost out to the sheep in affairs of the body because they talked and the sheep did not. I really think the JB stands for the kind of Scotch that particular sheep desires before sex. The nearest sheep loving institution to these parts is Texas A&M where women relax and sheep live in fear.

RT

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 11:29:10 AM »
I guess things have changed since the late 70's-early 80's in College Station....
 ;D
RT

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 11:44:46 AM »
P.T.:

Can you post any details on the course -- total length / par --holes of note.

I plan on playing Pennard in mid-September -- I can certainly add another layout to the mix -- is it r-e-a-l-l-y a must play.

Thanks ...

matt

Dan Grossman

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 11:57:54 AM »
Looks a bit short for your tastes, Matt.

Yellow: 5943 / 70
White: 6323 / 72

Their website has a fair amount of information.

http://www.clynegolfclub.com

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 12:20:14 PM »
Dan:

I'm always "game" to try new courses provided there are a few holes of character and substance. If it's nothing more than 18 holes of quirk / sporty / tricky type stuff I'll take a pass.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 12:45:56 PM »
Matt

Clyne has plenty of substance, I hope the photos show that.  But for a visiting American with limited time, I can't say it is a MUST play.  Depends on your time schedule and whether you've played the other must plays: Pennard, Porthcawl.

Forget the yardage, it's usually windy up there.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 01:43:14 PM »
Paul,

As one travels west toward Pennard, is this the course one passes/sees from the car? Your photos make it look every bit as interesting as Southerndown - is Southerdown on more abrupt property and more liberally bunkered? The one shotters certainly seem of high quality - the 8th really looks like a tough target to find in the wind. How does the 14th play? Nice to see a green complex uncluttered by bunkers as bunkers left would only make the hole easier.

Cheers,

Holyhead_ferry_1

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 02:49:38 PM »
I used to play Clyne GC when I was at Swansea Uni, A freind and co student Geoff Clement was a member, I used to drive him nuts hitting knock down three woods and three irons short distances, he was the biggest hitter I have ever seen even by todays standard, but he couldn't hit a half shot to save his life, (sorry Geoff). He and I pracitced together on all the South Wales courses, Just as he got his first Welsh cap for Golf. Swansea's Langland Bay, Southerndown, Tenby, the list is growing.
As I have said before Wales has the most spectacular golf in the World, Ask any one who's been there.
Holyhead my ex home course has a par 3, the 4th 114 yards, in summer it's a flick with a sand wedge, in winter I have hit driver, driver and 9 iron in to a wind and missed the putt for bogey go to any  North Wales course, Porthmadoc, (not far from Port Merion for the wife) Nefyn, Conway, Maesdu, golf courses that have produced some of the best Amateur golfers in Britain, Abergele and Pensarn produced Jimmy Buckley, who was Brilliant and I mean Brilliant, sadley Jimmy didn't make it on the tour through lack of funds but the guy could play golf. Dave McClean from my home Holyhead, the most consistant Welsh amateur for years John Roger Jones now president of the Welsh Golf Union,Clive Brown Walker cup Captain,Ian Woosnam Master golfer and of course me!!!!
Boy's and girls if you want great golf go to Wales I'll give you the map on where to play and stay. Wales is the unfound golf heaven for Great Golf and Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The golf architecture is superb and full of history.
So as all us welsh people far from home long for it, 'Hiraeth' in Welsh.  
As for me I miss the golf, And people talk about Ireland and Scotland,you haven't experienced it  at all till you go to Wales.
Regards
Ex-pat -Taff, from Holyhead living in Maryland
Ian

Paul_Turner

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 03:09:02 PM »
Ran

That's the one, you see the 12th hole from the road.  Southerndown has many more bunkers (it used to have a lot more too).  Some bunkers have been filled in at Clyne and a hole like the 10th would benefit from their return.  I think Clyne has slightly more undulation than Southerndown: there are no flat holes there.  Clyne's primary quality is dealing with the movement in the terrain (particularly when it firm) and many of the greens are nicely contoured/tilted too, so it takes some playing to get the ball close.

The fine 14th has blind drive over gorse and a crest; the approach plays as you see it-the ball will feed to the hole.

Holyhead_ferry_1

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 05:46:16 PM »
Paul
Did I hear that Howard Swann had remodeled the bunkers at Southerndown recently? what a great track, another is Cradock golf club, what do you think of that layout there? I know it's a little up hill and down dale but it's a nice golf experience maybe Ran can try that too.
Regards
Ian

Paul_Turner

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 06:02:19 PM »
Ian

Not sure about Southerndown and Mr Swan.  I pretty sure that Donald Steel advised on the filling of a lot of bunkers in recent years there.  I'm not sure if that was good plan of action, the course benefited with heavy bunkering on the holes with less features.  The 2nd at Southerdown 1s a world great hole-very demanding and I loved the 17th and 18th too, but the course was in terrible nick when I pleyed there.

I recently played a Howard Swan course called Stratford Oaks.  It's far from a great course, but at least you could see that the designer had put some effort into the course on a limited budget.  Having said that, it wasn't a course that took any risks in its design and that's the whole problem with architecture in the UK at the moment, it's all far too pedestrian.  

Don't know Craddock.  How about Radyr (not played but want to know if it's any good).

« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 06:04:58 PM by P_Turner »

James Edwards

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 07:17:29 PM »
Ian, Paul,

I work for Mr Swan, and he didn't do the bunkers there.  We are working at Ashburnham, and Aberdovey though.

James
@EDI__ADI

Holyhead_ferry_1

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2003, 09:30:52 AM »
JJSE
Thanks for the update, please give my regards to Howard. Haven't spoken to him for a while. Cardock Golf Club is the host for the Champions of Champions toury every year, it's outside Brecon.
Great veiws I  did a proposal there for a new hole layout. If I can find it I'll post it up, it's a typical home grown course and winds around an old manor house a great test of golf.
Regards
Ian  

James Edwards

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2003, 09:15:38 AM »
Ian,  

Send some details through.
I will ofcourse tell Howard who is currently holidaying in Portugal that you send your regards.

James.swangolf@btinternet.com
@EDI__ADI

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back