News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Is Deal the next new Open venue?
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
Or at least, should it be?  With the R&A taking the British Amateur to the fantastic links of Royal Cinque Ports this summer and holding final Open Qualifying there for the following 4 years, is it the plan or just time to take the actual Open back there in 2020 after a 100 year absence?  IMHO, I would love to see this phenomenal course and club honored and think it would hold up well against the finest players in the world, especially with it's brutal final 8 hole stretch back into a stiff wind.  What do those who have played it think, especially members?

Cheers

Michael Whitaker

Re: Is Deal the next new Open venue?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
I think the course could handle the players and the seawall would provide outstanding viewing opportunities, but I'm not sure the club's facilities are adequate to host a modern Open. The clubhouse and locker rooms are too small and there is not enough surrounding property to house the necessary hospitality and event operations tents. The Amateur is the perfect "major" for Deal IMHO.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
Unfortunaletly the simple answer is NO..the infrastrucutre simply would not work, St Georges can barely handle the influx and it has significantly more in between hole space than Deal.
Is DEAL  a better golf course, well duh...of course it is, we who have been blessed enough to play both will agree on that, but for a fan based Championship I just dont see it being able to work.

But that is a positive, because it leaves access more manageable ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
I seem to remember the R&A looking at both Deal and Saunton.  If my recollection is correct they thought the courses could be brought up to Open quality but neither had the infrastructure and grounds to host such a big event.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
Unfortunaletly the simple answer is NO..the infrastrucutre simply would not work, St Georges can barely handle the influx and it has significantly more in between hole space than Deal.
Is DEAL  a better golf course, well duh...of course it is, we who have been blessed enough to play both will agree on that, but for a fan based Championship I just dont see it being able to work.

Michael, are you saying you like RCP better than RSG?   I have them about even, which is a plus for Deal because the dunes on the front nine are so much more dramatic at Sandwich and the ocean is in view.   I do have to agree about RCP being a better Amateur venue.  A friend of mine played in the Senior Amateur (or was it Senior Open?) at Deal and just loved it, but there really is no room for the tented city etc.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
I like the idea of Deal and Porthcawl being on the rota.  Although, unless both courses were tricked up with stupid rough (St Andrews anyone?), I think they would be kick over the flat bellies.  I am talking -20 TOC style.  That in and of itself is no bad thing if the shots are interesting.  Unfortunately, neither course can compare to TOC for creating that birdie-fest interest. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Noel Freeman

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
Is DEAL  a better golf course, well duh...of course it is, we who have been blessed enough to play both will agree on that, but for a fan based Championship I just dont see it being able to work.

I would slightly disagree with this for one because many don't know here:

1) There is a large farm near the current range which could be used for hospitality tents, expanded range and the like, they would just have to rent it out, this land is flat and perfectly suited.
2) There is a platform (old one) I believe in the train line b/t Sandwich and Deal which could allow spectators to get off and then go to the tent village at said farm
3) The club owns most of the land in back of the 11th green to the housing line which could be used for more tents etc.
4) The biggest challenge is the narrowness of the course for viewing (that point is correct)
5) I know Peter Dawson has been out there plenty b/c of the Amateur being awarded there and I'm sure the idea has crossed their mind. I see a Walker Cup or Senior Open as more likely.. But one can dream.  The course could still add more distance as well if need be easily..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:47:49 PM by Noel Freeman »

Paul Dolton

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
It would be great to see Deal back on the rota. The new back tees on the sea wall would be interesting. I'm guessing they would make the first the eighteenth. Be a few players moaning about the undulating greens. Would RSG be used as a qualifiying course!?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
There aren't many places I'd rather spend a day playing golf than Deal...

...but Sandwich is one of them. I don't mean to disrespect Royal Cinque Ports but I've got to say that its more famous neighbor is one of the two finest courses I've ever seen. Given a choice between playing again at Royal St. Georges or Cypress Point I'd have a hard time choosing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:15:51 PM by Brent Hutto »

Will Lozier

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
Could Deal be the "Merion" Open - by simply ratcheting down crowd expectations (profits).  I forget what the USGA is terming this summer's tournament at the great Philly club?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Could Deal be the "Merion" Open - by simply ratcheting down crowd expectations (profits).  I forget what the USGA is terming this summer's tournament at the great Philly club?

I simply don't believe the R&A is sufficiently keen to go o a different venue that it would sanction a 'small' Open. If it did, the reason would be to go to a new area - most likely Portrush, then Porthcawl. Deal is a wonderful place, but it's next door to England's greatest course. Perfect Amateur and WC venue, IMO.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
Adam is right the "Merion" open is for a new area not next door to an established rota course.

I'm sure if RCP were so honoured it would be a Seniors or Ladies Open or the Walker Cup, events where 8-15,000 people a day need to be accommodated not 40,000.

As a normal member, if we run a tidy ship, keep the course in great condition and look after our members, visitors and guests we will be extremely happy. And I'm sure it will be noticed in the corridors of power....
Cave Nil Vino

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »
RCP/Deal - which I must say I prefer as a course to RStG next door - would be great if they were somehow able to accommodate what has become The Opens required "infrastructure package". I feel the same about Royal Porthcawl, Saunton less so due to it's location.

What about Royal Aberdeen? It's got plenty of nearby quality courses for final qualifying, loads of accommodation, the close-by airport, good road and rail links, masses of car-parking space nearby plus the immediately adjacent Exhibition Centre plus lots of space on the Silverburn course for tented villages and practice grounds, plus a wonderful golf course that ought to test the Pro's more than some existing Open rota venues - IMO the course beat both Walker Cup teams a couple of years ago and when the Senior Open was held there they struggled big time, and didn't even use some of the back tees.

All the best.

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »
Would it be great to see an Open at Deal? I love my club and its course far too much too wish to see what the R&A would do to it in preparation for The Open Championship.

I used to think it would be great for the Open to come to Deal. Now I look at what the R&A has done to other Open Rota courses in the name of modernity and I pray that it never, ever happens.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 04:56:45 AM »
Thomas I would say that Royal Aberdeen and Royal Porthcawl are firmly on the R&A "gold" list, however not all courses have the infrastructure for the Open.

I cannot see any changes to the rota until the women members issue hits. As it stands that wouldn't help RA's case either!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back