News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

A Personal Favourite - Waihi GC, NZ
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
Growing up I was introduced to the game through both my Father and Grandfather. From about age 6, I was allowed to tag along with them when they played golf as long as I kept quiet and still when I needed to. This was pretty hard for a small boy but the fun of getting to go to golf and hit the occasional shot was enough of an incentive to ensure my co operation.

This meant that over the years, I have both walked around and played Waihi Golf Club many times. It certainly carries for me some great memories and a special meaning on a personal level.

As I got older and travelled more discovering about the game and its courses, I started to arrive at a realisation. That course where I had spent so many hours enjoying myself on so many different levels, is actually a very good golf course. Many of the values that I have come to embrace in a golf experience can be found at this humble country course.

Last week I was fortunate to be in the Waihi area and played the course a couple of times. The second time around, I managed to grab the camera and snap a few pics of this course. Unfortunately, the quality isn’t great but the light was average and a 2 hour round doesn’t offer the greatest opportunity for stunning photos.

The following is a somewhat loose photo tour that’s a bit light on details being that this course will be unfamiliar to pretty much everyone on here. (All distances in metres)

Hole 1: Par 4, 340

Good solid opener. The fairway dips down about 100 out from the green providing a semi blind 2nd shot. Laying back and having a clear view f the green is my preferred option.

Hole 2: Par 4, 325

Straight away hole with OB left. The green is easier to approach from the left side so bailing out right off the tee isn’t ideal.

Hole3: Par 4, 363

Good strong par 4 with the landing area over a rise in the fairway for the longer hitter. Deep green requires correct club selection.

Hole 4: Par 4, 325

This uphill hole combines with the first 3 holes to form a tough opening stretch. The hole plays longer due to the elevation change and approach coming up short or right is punished. Walking off this green flat with the card after 4 holes is hard to do.

Hole 5: Par 5, 475

This downhill hole is tempting to let it rip and try and get down as far as possible. Settling for a bit less distance and being in the fairway is the key to this hole though.

Hole 6: Par 3, 145

The uphill nature of this shot needs an extra club to get the ball back there. The shallow 2 tiered green demands a shot on the same level as the flag.

Hole 7: Par 5, 512

A long straight hole which could probably benefit from some tree work. Anything off line makes this hole very tough.

Hole 8: Par 3, 125

The second of what I feel to be a great set of par 3’s. Although short, the green site on top of the ridge means anything not catching the green will kick away. Great hole in a head or cross wind.

Hole 9: Par 4, 314

Nice little short hole which offers up a good chance at birdie. The fairway bunker isn’t in play for longer hitters.

Hole 10: Par 4, 380

A good strong hole with a semi blind drive. The best line is down the right to open the green up but the slope of the fairway can propel a ball further right than is ideal. The green sets up for a right to left approach.

Hole 11: Par 4, 305

This short par 4 is the recent scene of some fairly substantial tree removal up the right side. I question the location of the new bunker being built and feel it would be better another 30 metres up the hole. Currently, it sits at about 210 off the tee.

Hole 12: Par 5, 445

A good birdie opportunity. The green is guarded short by a large swale which has to be negotiated.

Hole 13:Par 3, 166

A good strong par 3 which plays longer than it appears. Right is not a good place to miss.

Hole 14: Par 4, 285

A real test of your mental game, there is no real obvious way to best play the hole. Hugging the trees on the left as close as possible provides the best approach shot but it is hard to pick the perfect line. Playing to the right offers the most room but the longest carry.

Hole 15: Par 3, 128

A cool little par 3 with a stunning outlook back across the valley into town. 

Hole 16: Par 5, 425

From the tee, the fairway drops down into a valley and then sweeps up to the left leaving a blind second shot.

Hole 17: Par 4, 300

This hole is, for me, one of the best short 4’s in the country. A crowned fairway kicks balls either way and the righthand dogleg asks for a defined shot shape the further you travel form the tee. Laying up with a long iron makes hitting the fairway easier but leaves a semi blind shot to the green.

Viewed here from 100 metres out, only the top of the flagstick is visible.

As you come over the brow, you are greeted with one of my favourite greens complexes in NZ. It bears an uncanny resemblance to that of the 16th at Paraparaumu Beach but is approached from a shorter distance. Coming in from the left is extremely difficult.

Hole 18: Par 4, 325

A good hole to finish with a right to left shape being ideal. The tiered green demands precise distance control with the approach.

Tom_Doak

Re: A Personal Favourite - Waihi GC, NZ
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
Grant:

That looks like a lovely piece of land for golf.

What's the total length?  Didn't seem long from looking at the individual holes, but sometimes I get fooled when everything is in meters.  And, what part of New Zealand is it?

Grant Saunders

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
Hi Tom

The total length is about 5700 metres (6250 yards) but it feels as though it plays slightly longer.

The course is built on soil but it is unlike most soil I have ever seen. It is a volcanic soil which isnt hugely rich in nutrients and has fantastic natural drainage. It is maybe only a half step below sand in terms of its characteristics and probably is even better than sand in some applications.

The site has good elevation change which the routing uses nicely to take the golfer to a couple of high points with amazing outlooks. There is fantastic rolling  movement through the whole course creating some nice challenges and interest. Aside from the tees and greens, I doubt anything larger than a tractor was involved in creating the course.

Waihi is located approx 2 hours Southeast of Auckland just in from the coast.

Paul Gray

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »
Looks idyllic.

Your pictures and explanations sum up for me the very nature of good minimalist course design (I do hope Mr Doak doesn't find this to be too silly a statement). Nothing fancy and no pointless eye candy just proper golf on proper terrain. And I'll guess the green fees won't damage the bank account too much.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:57:41 AM »
Grant,

Thank you for posting this. I concur with Paul's comments and would like to add how nice it is to see a course where the fairways aren't green in colour.

All the best.

Leo Barber

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:04 AM »
Grant

Thanks for posting this, I really appreciation the photos and commentary.  As you know, I also have huge affection for this course and actually the more I discover about architecture the more I discover that this course actually holds up up a number of those ideals. 

Andrew Ellis was greenkeeper there for maybe 15 years and during that time was responsible for what could be considered now "trend setting" improvements with the total rebuild of 18 greens and 18 tees (I remember being staggered when he told me he was achieving this for less than $1000 a green and $500 a tee) and although the photos don't really capture it, significant tree removal.  It is wonderful ground with amazing inland elevation change and as you described, soils with sand like characteristics yet soil in nature.  One think I do notice in later years and particularly in this photo that is very representative of NZ courses in general, is that it is built on a small parcel of land and the holes cramped in.  The only way of separation was by heavily planting the course (although I would say 50% of the trees and some real significant ones have been removed). 

I just love that view from the top of the course, 15th tees.  I remember when that plantations that sheilded the boundaries were cut down for income - it opened up a whole new aspect of golf architecture for me - the importance of the surounding visitas.  My ancestors worked in the Martha Gold Mine beyond, and what a stunning backdrop it makes.  It hurts me to see them replanted.

Look forward to catching up at some stage and going through the hole by hole.  This course would honestly top a number of major metropolitan clubs in more ways than one.

Leo

Dane Hawker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
Total rebuild for $1000 a green leo? 
What are they built from?

Leo Barber

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 04:49:31 AM »
Just the natural volcanic soils.  It has a lot of ash from memory.  They had the use of some donated machinery from a local farmer and  simply removed the top, rotary hoed them and seeded.  Andrew created some wonderful contours - really subtle with clever movement but just seamless with their surroundings.  I am serious when I say they are the best rebuilt greens I have seen in NZ.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back