News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

To my surprise, our site founder did a wee review (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/heathlands-at-the-legends/) of this course back in 1999. I say, "my surprise" as I was uncertain that anyone had heard of the architect, one Tom Doak of the Michigan Doaks (or is it Connecticut?) Oh, never mind.

I was able to get four of the five planned rounds in at Myrtle Beach last week and have a fair amount of images to share. I'll begin with this particular track (http://www.legendsgolf.com/heathland.cfm). Unlike to other dudes who give you glamour, glitz and other chismes, my review shall be barely boned, with emphasis on images. I'll do my best to describe them. If you have questions, post and I will answer them to the best of my ability. If still images don't do it for you, view their official video (http://www.legendsgolf.com/heathlandvideo.cfm)

Hole #1 at Legends-Heathland is a four-shot hole. It can measure 447, 414, 374 or 362, depending on the deck you select. The hole plays fairly flat from tee to green and moves from left to right in a dogleg. A sod bunker breaks the visual monotony of the green fairway, drawing your gaze to the right. Sure, it tempts you to play the hole that way (ye olde line of charm, I guess) but there is a thick stand of brush just beyond that will get you a quick lost ball or unplayable lie. The proper play is left of the bunker (hard to miss too far left), from where a longer but safer shot in to the green will be the result. The approach shot is played at the first of 18 enormous greens, past a second bunker, twin to the first. Literally. Same size, same position on right side of fairway. This time, it's a distraction (unless you played up the right side off the tee). The green must be 70-90 feet wide; if you miss it laterally, you need to work on your aim or your swing path. Once you get there, let's hope that you can putt. You might have the first of many long approach putts. Have at it, have fun.

Above we have the tee shot from the back of the long tee. Gives you a sense of the vertical, horizontal and diagonal size of the fairway.

Above is the same shot, zoomed in a bit.

Above we now look from fairway center toward the green.

Above is taken from the right side, just past the intermediate fairway bunker (the one between the drive zone and the putting place.)

Above, this fifth image is behind the green, looking back up the fairway to the approach place. I am at the level below the putting surface, very typical here. Most greens have multiple run-off spaces from which to chip, pitch or putt.

Same angle as before, now standing on top of the green. Internal contouring comes into view.

Looking back at green site #1, from tee #2. This course would be a great one to use, conditions being proper, for preparation for links golf. Everything is wide and huge. Not simple, just wide and huge.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:21:33 AM by Ronald Montesano_gadabout »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

Re: Photo Tour: Legends Resort~Heathland Course
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Ron, so what purpose do you see for that first bunker on the right?

Is it anti-strategic?

A saving bunker?

A top-shot bunker?

Should it be axed?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
Ron, so what purpose do you see for that first bunker on the right?

Is it anti-strategic?

A saving bunker?

A top-shot bunker?

Should it be axed?

Good questions. I think that it serves a number of purposes. I think that it is one part show (welcome to a true heathland course), one part strategic, as it isn't completely simple to carry, one part top-shot (if the course is playing at all firm, a topped shot will run into it) and one part penal (if you try to carry it and push/pull right, you are reloading.)

The hole has two bunkers on it. Neither one is featured in the middle of anything, yet they are there for a purpose. If we are fortunate, that certain someone might chime in on this, his second solo course effort (after High Pointe.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Wait a minute,

Is this actually a course I've played that Saltzman hasn't?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
Looking forward to this, RoMo.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
Ronald:

It's been several years since I've seen the course, so I look forward to seeing your pictures, and how the myrtle bushes we planted in 1990 have grown!

How was the condition of the course?  I planted tifdwarf on the approaches as well as the greens there so they could try to shave them and facilitate the running approach.  Unfortunately, I learned that this is a mistake ... if they don't keep it shaved, it gets extra-thatchy, and in the long run the approaches are LESS bouncy.

I see they are overseeding more now, too.  For the first few years, they did a very light overseed of the fairways, just enough to give it some more color than the dormant roughs.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »
I played it in the mid-late 90's.
By then I had made several trips to Ireland/UK and was curious how the course would compare, but my expectations were quite low. (after all it was Myrtle beach)
At the time I had never heard of Tom Doak.
I was very impressed with the golf course; not only did the course simulate a links in appearance and design, it also did a reasonable job of simulating links conditions. (as Tom noted, the overseed was very light)
I need to get back to Myrtle beach, especially after playing today in 41 degrees with about a 20mph north wind blowing. ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Keep in mind that this was springtime in Myrtle, so fast and firm was not in the cards. The course double teed, meaning my front took 1.5 hours and my back would have taken 3 hours, had I played it. I opted to take photos, rather than wait behind the woefully inept and the chronometrically challenged.

I can't comment on the grasses, as my only observation was that there was grass on the golf course. I knew enough that the rough was dormant and the fairways had been healthfully overseeded to keep them green. The turf was tight, not spongy. The greens were consistently true.

Since the course, with a few exceptions (5th green, 6th tee), is completely exposed to the elements, the fairways and greens tend to dry out when whipped by the wind. Since I had an idea of what to look for, in terms of routing, angles, etc., I enjoyed the course more than I would have, pre-GCA.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
I see they are overseeding more now, too.  For the first few years, they did a very light overseed of the fairways, just enough to give it some more color than the dormant roughs.

I've played Heathland several times over the past 8 winters. During that period the fairways were fully overseeded each time I've played. Here's a set from 2007.

Heathland #4 from tee by tewiespix, on Flickr

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
Ron,
Why would springtime in Myrtle mean firm and fast was not in the cards?
I would think if the weather was dry (a big if) spring would be their best opportunity for firm and fast.
fall would be, but if a course is overseeding,the grown-in tends to keep it soft and/or hairy, winter the dampness tends to stick around with the cold soil temps, and in summer the bermuda get really healthy and a bit sticky.

I was at Palmetto the last week in March and it was fiery firm and fast. (No overseed)

Looking at the pictures, I'd say it was the heavier overseed that's limiting the firm and fast, rather than the season. (although they can certainly have their share of spring storms)

thanks for the pictures
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
The rain dictates everything. This spring has been worse than the winter for them. Cold and inconsistent weather. We had quite a fair amount of rain last week, although I lost just one round (which I could have played, but opted to get the photos rather than the golf.)

If maintenance is not geared toward fast and firm, as you point out, then there is no hope for it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
The rain dictates everything. This spring has been worse than the winter for them. Cold and inconsistent weather. We had quite a fair amount of rain last week, although I lost just one round (which I could have played, but opted to get the photos rather than the golf.)

If maintenance is not geared toward fast and firm, as you point out, then there is no hope for it.

yes it's been cold down there, throw in the rain and it's a not going to be firm and fast.
There's plenty of spring left-you and I just caught winter down south, even though the calandar said spring.
It was relatively linksy when I played it years ago.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 06:02:45 AM »
It deserves to play firm. It's a heathland course, which gives it the links characteristics yet leaves wiggle room for multiple creeks/burns and other features not typically found on a links. That's a whole 'nother thread, on the specific physical differences between a links and a heathland (other than location.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
Hole #2 at Legends-Heathland is also a four-shot hole. It can measure 338, 323, 292 or 228, given your selection of teeing ground. The hole plays fairly flat from tee to green, although it does dip down a bit in the fairway drive zone. You must get the ball out to the 150 post to have a look around the bend at the green. As with number one, you have sufficient fairway to hit, but you must avoid the right side, where trickery waits. Once you are out there, you can play a running approach or an aerial one. Unlike the first green, where internal contouring made a one-level green challenging, this one throws multiple levels directly at you, like pie. Great counterpoint to the longish opening hole.

Above we have the tee shot from the back of the long tee. If one were to take a run at the green, one would turn 65 degrees to the right and aim into the nothing.

Above is the same shot, zoomed in a bit.

One last look from the tee, at what first appears to be the corner of the dogleg...

About 210 out, but no green in site.

Still no green...

Finally, the greenside bunker and a putting surface peak cautiously from the bend.

And here they are.

Closer in~Hello, front tongue!

Left side of fairway, 55 yards from green.

Look at those hole location options. For transparency's sake, the ball closer to the hole was my second approach.

Left side of green.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:48:42 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
The size of the trees (actually bushes) to the right of the tee and through the fairway is amazing to me.  I guess they've had 24 years to grow, but wow ... those are myrtle bushes we planted.  The course could use a good thinning.

Now that High Pointe is closed, this is the only course in the world where I personally shaped all 18 greens.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
I honestly don't know why anyone would ever play either of the other two courses at the resort over this one.  Either it's that much better, I'm a card-carrying butt-boy or some combination thereof.  The fact that there was only a 1 point differential in the CG between Heathlands and it's lesser siblings was either youthful humility or a gaffe IMNSHO.  Time for another visit...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:03:13 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Ron,
Why would springtime in Myrtle mean firm and fast was not in the cards?
I would think if the weather was dry (a big if) spring would be their best opportunity for firm and fast.
fall would be, but if a course is overseeding,the grown-in tends to keep it soft and/or hairy, winter the dampness tends to stick around with the cold soil temps, and in summer the bermuda get really healthy and a bit sticky.

I was at Palmetto the last week in March and it was fiery firm and fast. (No overseed)

Looking at the pictures, I'd say it was the heavier overseed that's limiting the firm and fast, rather than the season. (although they can certainly have their share of spring storms)

thanks for the pictures

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but...

I attended a meeting recently that featured Patrick O'Brien, Southeast Director of the USGA Green Section. Pat's speech was concerning overseeding in the Myrtle Beach market... or, rather, ending the practice of overseeding. The USGA Green Section is really pushing the idea of staining/painting fairways, greens and tee boxes in the Myrtle Beach market instead of overseeding. Their reasons are: cost, water use, and playability of the turf. It is a bit of a tough sell because green grass is so important to the MB market:  when snowbirds come down for a spring golf fix they want to see a green golf course. Many courses in MB are painting greens (Caledonia & True Blue for example), but not too many are doing fairways yet. Overseeding is the primary reason most courses in the MB area are soft and play slow. It will be interesting to see how this takes hold moving forward.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »
Hole #3 at Legends-Heathland is a three-shot hole. It can measure 210, 195, 187 or 130, depending on your appetite. Unlike the first two holes, no bunker comes into play on the third. There is a bunker, mind you. It sits about 25 yards short of the green, off to the left side. I'm not certain why it's there. It's a nice bunker and I'm sure it is fun to play from, but strategically, I've got nothing. To me, this was a wonderful example of a hole with no need for sand. A built-up front partially obscures the green, but no bizarre caroms were in evidence. I played a two-hybrid from the tips and missed right, in a swale. I could imagine the variety of shot options, depending on hole location. The green is enormous. Apparently benign but certainly deceptive hole.

Long view from back tee.

Zoomed in a bit.

Zoomed in a bit more...

Righty-Fronty, long view

Righty-Fronty, zoomed in for features.

Right side of green, looking down.

Back of green to front, long view

Back of green to front, zoomed in.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Norbert P

Re: Photo Tour: Legends Resort~Heathland Course (3 Holes Posted)
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »

Interesting stuff. Is there any heath?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
if you mean low quality, acidic soils or open, low growing woody vegetation, I did not test the soil but can confirm the latter.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath)

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
First off, since it's been referenced several times, the "Heathland" name was originally reserved for course #2 at The Legends.  Most of the holes are modeled after links holes, and the first course was going to be named "Linksland".  But the owner told me he heard one of his booking operators confirming tee times for the "Links - land" course in her Southern voice, and he decided to go with Heathland instead.  ;)  That's a true story.

Because it was an almost dead-flat site, many of the holes were begun with a hole or feature I'd seen overseas as a starting point.  Some turned out recognizable ... others didn't come out right at all, or else I just decided to abandon the original idea and go with something different.  One that I do remember was the 3rd hole, for which I tried to draw a grading plan similar to the 4th hole at Cruden Bay [because there had to be water off to the left, even though it's a poor substitute for the fishing village of Port Erroll!].  There is a similar bunker on the 4th at Cruden Bay, off to the left and seldom in play.

Other holes that I recall:

#4 was based on the 3rd at Royal Melbourne West, though the swale feature is much too wide
#6 has a mound in front of the green based on the 4th at St. Andrews
#7 is a Road hole green, obviously
#8 is based on the 11th at Lahinch
#14 is based on the 15th at Turnberry
#15 is based on the old Sahara at Royal St. George's
#18 is based on the 18th at Royal Lytham & St. Annes

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
Photobucket decided to re-order all the images in my Heathland album, so I have to wait purportedly until they release new features tomorrow to find the images I want. We'll get back on this horse in a day or so.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
Hole #4 at Legends-Heathland is a two-shot hole. It can measure 355, 338, 315 or 285, if you insist. A large swale runs much of the length of the left side, shared also by the left side of the 7th fairway. If you have your sea legs and feel like attempting to drive a par four, move up a deck or two and take a crack at this one. There is a small top-shot bunker some 60 yards off the tee that offers a nice target line to the green. Depending on the height of the rough in the swale, you might be visually intimidated enough to play rightward and go through the fairway..

First Inclination from back tee.

Zoomed in a bit. Notice the top-shot bunker and the thick pockets.

Can't get enough zoom.

The true and direct line to the green from the tee

From the right side of the fairway

Righty-Fronty, about 40 yards short, in the rough

Back right of the green.

Back and center of the green.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:50:00 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Photo Tour: Legends Resort~Heathland Course (4 Holes Posted)
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:27 PM »
Hole #5 at Legends-Heathland is a par five. It can measure 542, 509, 435 or 425, most days. The hole first brings crossing hazards to the golf course, in the form of a narrow creek that bisects the fairway, perpendicular to the tee. A seeing-eye bunker serves as a directional target; keep the ball to the right of it to avoid a blocked-out second from the left. The fairway narrows appreciably but not punitively in the second landing area. A mound that occupies the right portion of the fairway works to obscure the green from that angle. The more open approach from the left side is also the more difficult to attain. The green sits between the aforementioned mound and another behind the putting area. The green is a wide affair, common to this course, with subtle interest in the interior and gentle fall-offs along the edges..

From the depths of the tee.

Zoomed in to beyond the creek.

A look from right fairway edge up the bottle neck.

A view in toward the green from 150 yards off.

A view in toward the green from 100 yards off

Long shot from back of green.

Beauty shot from behind green.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:37:47 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

Re: Photo Tour: Legends Resort~Heathland Course (5 Holes Posted)
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:34 PM »
Wow, I don't like the looks of those big bushy grasses on the mounds around the green.  It is amazing what happens when you try to give a course a little texture and they just let it go wild.

I actually like that fifth hole although having the woods around it seems terribly out of context with the rest of the course.  I can't remember the reasoning behind having to leave the woods in that area -- I think it had something to do with the wetland area behind the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back