News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: 4th Annual Midwest Mashie - The Kingsley Club! UPDATE: FORMAL SIGN-UP OPEN!
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
Sounds like we're already getting in the East's head.  Eventually the 0-fer becomes such a soul-crushing weight that it's virtually impossible to get out from under...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Smolens

« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
"There can be no quibbles nor quarrels."

Not to quibble, but shouldn't it be "no quibbles or quarrels," or "neither quibbles nor quarrels??"

Typical Sparty I suppose. . .

JC Jones

« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
I think you're quibbling in an attempt to quarrel.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:48:32 AM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tim Bert

« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »

Tees: blue, but would prefer a white/blue combo if there is one

I have a knack at Kingsley for asking some questions about your game and then sight unseen determining a match for players of any ability that will almost certainly come down to the final two holes without either player giving strokes.  I bet we could create a white / blue tee combo for you that would work. A nice challenge would be to play the Mashie handicapping the entire event by tee adjustments.

When do we find out which team we are playing for?

Steve Kline

« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2013, 03:47:11 AM »
Tim is right. It is one of the strangest qualities I've ever seen in a person and completely unique.  :D

He created a number of interesting matches on my trip there.

Tim - perhaps you should have been some sort of odds maker/golf fixer living in Vegas.

Tim Bert

« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:25 PM »
Tim is right. It is one of the strangest qualities I've ever seen in a person and completely unique.  :D

Tim - perhaps you should have been some sort of odds maker/golf fixer living in Vegas.

In all fairness, I couldn't have quite handicapped an equitable tee-only adjusted match for you and me but that was a pretty sizable handicap gap I had to work with.  As we experienced, all it takes is one more bad golfer to throw in the mix and play two on one and then the tee adjustments work just fine without strokes.  

For the casual observer, a friend and I lost a match to Steve 3&2 where Steve played the very back tip of every back tee box against the two of us playing our better score from the front of every front tee box.  Just one of many down-to-the-wire, custom Kingsley matches.

Jud_T

« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
It's when Tim adds the cross-country emergency twilight nine to the calculation that the game spirals into advanced chaos theory...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Seitz

« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2013, 12:09:34 AM »
Tim is right. It is one of the strangest qualities I've ever seen in a person and completely unique.  :D

In all fairness, I couldn't have quite handicapped an equitable tee-only adjusted match for you and me but that was a pretty sizable handicap gap I had to work with.  As we experienced, all it takes is one more bad golfer to throw in the mix and play two on one and then the tee adjustments work just fine without strokes.  

For the casual observer, a friend and I lost a match to Steve 3&2 where Steve played the very back tip of every back tee box against the two of us playing our better score from the front of every front tee box.  Just one of many down-to-the-wire, custom Kingsley matches.

I'd have had more respect for Steve if he had waited a hole, then took you out 3&1.  ;). But that may just be because I have an affinity for 17 after playing it six under in six rounds last weekend. I will grant, however, that Tim's grinding over simply creating the rules for each match (almost certainly a modified somethingorother) is an excellent cure for insomnia. ;D. Tim, this is your cue to make fun of my night golfing ability.

Jud, new cross-country inspired game. Wedge from the bench on the 18th tee to a front pin on 17. Surprisingly doable.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:12:31 AM by Bill Seitz »

Steve Kline

« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:46 AM »
Jud - Tim's four-hole night golf extravaganza was a blast. Youn guys should include that in the Midwest Mashie somehow.

Jud_T

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »
We may have to invoke the back left pin on 13 as well to give the newbie scorecard and pencillers a proper sense of perspective.  One thought- members should be split equally between teams if possible so we don't have a local knowledge bias.

Steve Kline

« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »
We got them to put the pin back left on 13 my one trip there. Actually they put two pins on the green that day. Of course, we always played to the back left. Lotsa fun.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
 One thought- members should be split equally between teams if possible so we don't have a local knowledge bias.

East has Hufnagel, Schmidt and honorary member JC.  That should suffice.  Plus, just because one is a member doesn't mean that they're able to effectively make use of any local knowledge -- as I can easily demonstrate.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
One thought- members should be split equally between teams if possible so we don't have a local knowledge bias.
...just because one is a member doesn't mean that they're able to effectively make use of any local knowledge...

Of those that have golfed with me, I am sure you will agree that I make a better caddie than golfer - or put it another way, "I resemble that remark..."

Jason Thurman

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
It's just like the West to hold this event at their unofficial home course. Local knowledge is overrated. The East will be fine with our three Kingsley veterans, and our Licenses.

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »
I grew up in MI and will happily play for the East to (i) balance out the members and (ii) take some more money from Jud...

Eric Smith

« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
Anything in the works for Friday night? Dinner in TC, grilling out..?

Brian Finn

« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I just emailed my entry form to Kingsley. 

Looking forward to representing the East side. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

JC Jones

« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
Anything in the works for Friday night? Dinner in TC, grilling out..?

I highly recommend the food at Kingsley, it is very good (so long as Conklin isn't the one cooking).  Also, I'm not sure driving will be a good idea.....  ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

JC Jones

« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
I grew up in MI and will happily play for the East to (i) balance out the members and (ii) take some more money from Jud...

Buck Wolter

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »
Booked my flights last night -- I apologize in advance to the west team (I assume that's where I fit), not enough home course rounds to get my handicap where it should be.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Howard Riefs

« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
Two weeks and counting....

Can't wait. Wonder if the East team feels the same.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Bert

« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
All of these comments like "I wonder what the East team thinks" or "my apologies to the West team" seem to imply others know what team they represent.  Did I miss team announcement?  Where is the line drawn for East / West?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Handicaps will have their last revision on Monday. Ill advise George, or whoever has the captaincy.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »
All of these comments like "I wonder what the East team thinks" or "my apologies to the West team" seem to imply others know what team they represent.  Did I miss team announcement?  Where is the line drawn for East / West?

My understanding... Start at Lake Michigan and draw a line southward down the western border of Indiana and continue until you get to the western border of Miss. All points east of that line (eg, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.) are on the East team.

I'll defer to George, though, on the official call.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »

My understanding... Start at Lake Michigan and draw a line southward down the western border of Indiana and continue until you get to the western border of Miss. All points east of that line (eg, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.) are on the East team.

I'll defer to George, though, on the official call.
Of the 23 confirmed on the first page, how many are "east"ers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back