News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re: 4th Annual Midwest Mashie - The Kingsley Club!
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
I'm disappointed to say I have had a major work committment that has been scheduled the last week of September and 1st week of October.  I will be dropping out.  I had booked a solo room in the river camp that will now be available.  Bummed.  Maybe I can make it up the some other time this year. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

George Freeman

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »
Is there room for additional players? I have one-two more that have expressed interest in the event.

Ryan

Ryan - yes, there is room for additional players.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »
I'm disappointed to say I have had a major work committment that has been scheduled the last week of September and 1st week of October.  I will be dropping out.  I had booked a solo room in the river camp that will now be available.  Bummed.  Maybe I can make it up the some other time this year. 

Dan - sorry to hear that!

For anyone looking for a solo room at the river camp, it looks like one just opened up.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
George: I have one more - Ben Cowan. I believe he secured a room as well. Thanks again for coordinating.

Ryan Taylor
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
I'm in and let me know if a bed opens up!

Eric Smith

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
I'm in and let me know if a bed opens up!

How about half a bed?

Signed,

JC Jones

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »
Hahaha!

JC Jones

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »
Stu,

You can have my bed.  I'll be in Eric's and Eric will be passed out at the fire pit.   ;D  Oh hell, I'll probably be there too.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »
Got a pop up add that Southwest is starting non- stop service to Grand Rapids in early August from STL, DEN, ORL and BWI (Baltimore). Teaser fares for like $70 each way,I recommend over connecting at ORD, that's a crap shoot at best.

In Minneapolis check out Lansing as Delta matches Sun Country for $200,  Dan Lucas give the airport a thumbs up. At least from MSP it's been extravagant to get a ticket into TVC this summer.

Makes me miss STL as we used to fly a big prop non-stop into GRR on TWA. Once the cabin wouldn't pressurize so they just flew low!

Definite Maybe for me.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Buck Wolter

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
SHAMELESS PLUG deleted

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:50:33 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

George Freeman

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
Bump!

I should have a sign-up sheet/link with required deposit shortly.  This will help to start firming up the attendee list.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
I'm starting to get pretty excited. #EastTeamNation

I'll be coming up I-75 through Toledo and Saginaw. Does anyone have suggestions for courses to play on the way there/back? In Michigan, I've only played Shepherd's Hollow near Detroit. Everything is new for me and I don't know the area all that well.

I know about UM and Barton Hills in Ann Arbor, and Forest Dunes. I'm also prioritizing Arcadia since it seems like a very interesting course if nothing else. If there are other places I should think about that aren't too far out of the way, let me know. If you have opinions on the ones I've listed, share those too. And if anyone is interested in meeting up for pre/post event rounds, let me know your availability and we'll try to make something happen. I'm gonna take a few days off work so I'm looking at doing two or three rounds in addition to our time at Kingsley.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
I know about UM and Barton Hills in Ann Arbor, and Forest Dunes. I'm also prioritizing Arcadia since it seems like a very interesting course if nothing else. If there are other places I should think about that aren't too far out of the way, let me know. If you have opinions on the ones I've listed, share those too. And if anyone is interested in meeting up for pre/post event rounds, let me know your availability and we'll try to make something happen. I'm gonna take a few days off work so I'm looking at doing two or three rounds in addition to our time at Kingsley.

Just keep in mind that if you're coming in from I-75, Arcadia is an hour west of Kingsley -- or a combined two hours out-of-the way there/back. That being said, I'd recommend visits to Arcadia and Forest Dunes for you and others looking for additional rounds in Northern Michigan. I'm not a fan of the former, but they're both worth seeing if you're in the general area and willing to travel. I'll defer to others for courses closer to I-75.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BHoover

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Rather than playing other courses, I'm definitely looking forward to getting in as much golf at Kingsley as possible on Saturday and Sunday.  If anyone is looking to play Saturday AM and/or Sunday PM, please let me know.  I think I booked a room Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at the club, so I'm looking to get in a couple extra rounds at Kingsley.

Definitely looking forward to the event!

Jud_T

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Finally played Belvedere this morning up in Charlevoix.  This is my pick for those looking for additional rounds to tack on up north.  The place has hosted the Michigan Am numerous times, has some great elevation changes used well and very good greens.  I'd heard good things about it and was still pleasantly surprised.  I certainly wouldn't give up an additional round at Kingsley for Arcadia.

Brian,

Don't worry.  The Kingsley Crew essentially plays from sunup to sundown when we're on property in any number of formats.  You'll have all the golf you can handle including holes and wagers made up on the fly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:26:22 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BHoover

« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
Brian,

Don't worry.  The Kingsley Crew essentially plays from sunup to sundown when we're on property in any number of formats.  You'll have all the golf you can handle including holes and wagers made up on the fly.

Jud, this is what I want to hear! I can't wait to get up there and play Kingsley for the first time.

JC Jones

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
Finally played Belvedere this morning up in Charlevoix.  This is my pick for those looking for additional rounds to tack on up north.  The place has hosted the Michigan Am numerous times, has some great elevation changes used well and very good greens.  I'd heard good things about it and was still pleasantly surprised.  I certainly wouldn't give up an additional round at Kingsley for Arcadia.

Brian,

I'm glad you decided to play Belvedere after I left Charlevoix to come back to Charlotte.  That way I didn't have to deal with playing against you and hear your whining about handicaps.   ;D

I plan on arriving at Kingsley on Friday, midday.  Andrew Lewis and I will commence taking people's money shortly thereafter.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2013, 06:35:19 AM »
I talked to Dan Lucas yesterday, and he told me how great the weather has been. Cool enough and dry enough. I think all the ingredients are in place for y'all!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jud_T

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
Dan knows almost as much about agronomy as he does about sandbagging.  Sure he can produce the best F&F surface with cool season grasses this side of Dover in his sleep, but that 7 handicap yarn is a bonafide according to Hoyle miracle.  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Topp

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
I just realized I have a conflict that weekend so I am sorry to say I will not make it.  I hope everyone has a terrific time and thanks to Kingsley Club for hosting.

Eric Smith

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Cannot wait for this one, gents!

I get into Grand Rapids on Friday morning and plan to hit the trail running; the Joe Hancock Trail that is. I'll start by ordering a Grandpa Joe at the local Blimpie. Then I'm going to check out the practice area at Egypt Valley. From there I'll make my way across town to play the Mines, but not before stopping at the NLE Grand Island site to pay my respects. Remember the pics of those 36" roots??

I'd really like to stop and see Pilgrim's Run, but I think the only Joe found there is in the form of broken tees and empties. If pressed for time I may have to skip it because I don't want to miss The Rose. 

Josh Tarble

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
I'm already really excited for this as well.  I've been working on my game to hopefully redeem the East Team from last years bitter defeat.

I also am going to try not to wear out my welcome as I'm hoping to play until my legs fall off.

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
Wow Eric, you really know your Hancock history! That's a little creepy. Don't forget Emerald Vale on your way in.

Eric Smith

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »
Wow Eric, you really know your Hancock history! That's a little creepy. Don't forget Emerald Vale on your way in.

Dan,

Joe's the guy I'm calling when I'm ready to build my dream course. I sure hope that's not creepy. :)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
I'm already really excited for this as well.  I've been working on my game to hopefully redeem the East Team from last years bitter defeat.

I also am going to try not to wear out my welcome as I'm hoping to play until my legs fall off.

You can always come back as a member. I've heard that happening after a Mashie. The player just fell in love with the club... 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back