News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re: 4th Annual Midwest Mashie - The Kingsley Club!
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »
While waiting for the snow to melt so I can work in the yard I have been browsing photos this morning.  Here are two from Kingsley.

Hole 17 Tee

Hole 17 Green

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:47:34 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Dan Moore

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
One more.  The brilliant 6th hole. 

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ken Fry

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
Dan,

While I love any and all pictures from Kingsley, I have to tell you:  your first post shows hole #17 in both photos, not hole #1.

Ken

Dan Moore

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
Ken, My bad.  Caption corrected. 

George Freeman

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
Dan - keep them coming.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
While waiting for the snow to melt so I can work in the yard I have been browsing photos this morning.  Here are two from Kingsley.

Hole 17 Tee

Hole 17 Green

Has hole 17 always had room left of the traps?  I played the course last year and don't remember there being any from left of the traps off the tee. 
"Pure Michigan"

Ken Fry

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »

Has hole 17 always had room left of the traps?  I played the course last year and don't remember there being any from left of the traps off the tee. 

Bob,

In its original version, the center line bunkers in the photo were left edge fairway bunkers.  Everything left of them was dense forest.  It was quite a tight drive and difficult.

The decision was made to do massive tree clearing on the back nine to provide a more consistent experience with the front nine.  The area between #10 and #18 for example was dense woods.  Contrast that with how it looks now!

#17 was cleared WAY back creating the center line bunkers from the original left edge bunkers.  Fairway was created to the left providing a drive option off the tee.  I believe it was decided not many players were intentionally using the left fairway so long grass was allowed to grow back in eliminating the left fairway option, but retaining the more open feel.

Ken

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
Ken,

Thanks for the info
"Pure Michigan"

Dan Moore

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »
Two more for George.

George Freeman

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »
Bump!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Josh Tarble

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
George, Really looking forward to the event...my second Mashie.

Also, I just called a couple days ago and the club only had bunks left in the River Camp for all those that haven't made reservations.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
If the club fills up, and people don't want to stay all the way in Traverse, there's a motel pretty close that looks like it will be open this year.  I don't believe it was last year, but I'm not exactly sure why, new management maybe.  It's actually closer to the club than the River Camp.  I can make no claims as to quality or cleanliness.
http://www.thekingsleymotel.com/

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
George,

My buddy and I have a confirmed reservation at Kingsley.

Ryan Taylor
Marc Kielkucki
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
Traverse City's only 20 minutes away and is a nice option as well.  There's certainly more nightlife and some surprisingly good restaurants, it's just a little tougher to go out for that emergency nine on a moment's notice or midnight cross-country golf.  Knowing this crowd, however, I seriously doubt anyone's going to feel as if they left anything on the table golf-wise.  Walking and carrying 54 at Kingsley will make you beg for strong drink, a hot bath and your mommy, not necessarily in that order...  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
Who said anything about walking?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

George Freeman

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
Bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
George,
Any idea when the official entry form and deposits will happen?
If we pre-reserve a room at Kingsley, are we automatically "in"?

George Freeman

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
Pete - we're not even close to hitting our "max" number of participants, so everyone should be confident they have a spot.  I'll provide deposit info, etc. a little closer to the event when I receive it from the club.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

George Freeman

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
Bumped in conjunction with the Northern Michigan Golf thread.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

JC Jones

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »
Great Bump!!  I'm looking forward to the event.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
If only I could get my daughter to call of her engagement, I wouldn't have a conflict that weekend.  One of these days I'll get up there.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom Allen

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »
I just got back and miss Kingsley already!! (I started the recent Northern Michigan thread).  Great bump!

By the way Bill Seitz, I did see your picture on the wall there for the Hundred Hole Hike.  (I thought that was cool--getting to put a face with the name on here).

Bill Seitz

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »
By the way Bill Seitz, I did see your picture on the wall there for the Hundred Hole Hike.  (I thought that was cool--getting to put a face with the name on here).

Tom, glad you enjoyed it.  I'd be remiss, however, if I failed to point out that GCAers Tim Bert, Chris Hufnagle, Andrew Lewis, and Matt Schmidt were also in that picture, and I believe all are planning to attend the Mashie as well.  I'll be up there tomorrow and already can't wait to get there. 

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2013, 08:22:54 AM »
Is there room for additional players? I have one-two more that have expressed interest in the event.

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jackson C

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
Looks like the club is widening some of the playing areas.
High grass is cut back a couple of meters in the bowls of 3 and 4.
Looks like this as well on the hill for 7.  All around the areas drives may land.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back