News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re: How much is local knowledge worth?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
How much?

Of all the courses I've played, Deal would carry among the highest local knowledge factors...but still, how much among good and great players?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »
Presumably this is an attempt to get their best guys ready for the Amatuer at Deal this summer.

Messrs’ Hutto, Pennell and I watched their guy win it at RSG in 2006.  He was most impressive eagling the 14th, in the morning and afternoon rounds.  The French had a bunch of guys in Blazers ordering champagne all round.   Within 30mins of the presentation a helicopter arrived to whisk him back home.   I guess they don’t often have  a victory in England to celebrate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/5114476.stm

He subsequently turned pro. I’m guessing he’s every bit as thin today, as he was then.
http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=33674/

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
They were spotted on the first tee today with their coach, skipping to warm up, I jest you not.

I've just left the Just Reproach at 2330 and a couple of our team were warming up, not a skipping rope in sight though!

Our team range from 25 to late 60s and +1 to 4, but the 4s are local which equates to a 1 or 2 on a parkland course or +1/scratch US handicapping.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
Morning round scratch foursomes RCP 1/2 France 3 1/3.

With the French ranging in age from 16-20 it's unsurprising the half goes to a Deal pairing including a 73 year old off 3 handicap who payed in the French amateur in 1964, most of their grandmothers would have been virgins then! All the losing matches made the 16th green. In the final match a 4 and 5 handicap from Deal playing the European No.1 and 3 off +6 and +5 a total of 20 shots difference, lost 4&2.

The French played the course on Thursday so were not playing blind.
Cave Nil Vino

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
Next time suggest the match is played at Twickenham, those from the Euro side of The Channel tend not to perform so well there!

A 73 yr old playing off 3 at RCP, that's fantastic, hope for us all yet.

All the best

Scott Warren

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 05:45:56 AM »
Chappers,

If you don't fancy posting the names of the guys who made up our side, can you email me?

Richard Pennell

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »

How much effect will local knowledge have?

Chappers

After yesterday, less than previously thought...
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »

How much effect will local knowledge have?

Chappers

After yesterday, less than previously thought...

Speak for yourself, Richard!  ;D
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Mark,

Depends on the golf course.

At Streamsong Blue, I think it's an enormous factor.

Also at the Red, but, perhaps a little less so.

Some courses reveal themselves quite easily, others, gradually and grudgingly,  but, alot depends upon the golfer's course management IQ.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »

I think you're addressing Mark C but the point this Mark is making is:
Match
A national team v a club team
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
It depends on the players ability to hit the shot. Often i'm better off not knowing (playing what my eyes and gut tells me) because I will relax and just swing.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »

It depends on the players ability to hit the shot. Often i'm better off not knowing (playing what my eyes and gut tells me) because I will relax and just swing.

Bill,

Shouldn't that be factored into your decision making process ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »
Richard - I swear that putter will find a grim scrapyard one day! You know the course well but hitting so many shots from the middle of the fairways must have been a new experience  :-*!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back