News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Golf courses 'within the rails' at horse racing tracks
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
I've just been reviewing some really nice photos on a previous GCA post about the old course at Musselburgh and wondered how many other golf courses are built 'within the rails' at horse racing tracks?

Those that immediately come to my mind are -

Musselburgh Old (obviously)
Great Yarmouth/Caister
Aintree
Doncaster
Hereford
Ludlow

I think Ascot and Epsom might have courses close nearby, although maybe not necessarily 'within the rails', and I recall seeing a pro tournament earlier in the year from South Africa, was it maybe held in Durban (?), where some of the golf course seemed to be inside the horse racing track.

There must be others.

All the best

David_Tepper

Re: Golf courses 'within the rails' at horse racing tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
Tom D. -

The Brickyard Crossing course has 4 holes within the oval of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the "Indy 500."

www.brickyardcrossing.com

DT  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:48:00 PM by David_Tepper »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
Kelso golf club in the Scottish borders shares the land with kelso race course. I played it a couple of times a while back. My one most abiding memory is of the first or second hole where I tried a long fairway wood which stayed a bit low and drilled its way straight into one of the freakin jumps which are made of lots of branches and straw! Not a happy fbd...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jim McCann

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
Gowran Park in County Kilkenny is a Jeff Howes design:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=1036

The opening and closing three holes lie inside the track, with the others spread out around the outside.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
Aren't the cops at Royal Liverpool an old race course?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
My home course, The Northumberland has holes inside, outside and crossing Newcastle race course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
Aren't the cops at Royal Liverpool an old race course?

The used to be horse racing at The Country Club around 1 and 18

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
There are 9 holes, plus a range, inside Sandown Park racecourse in Esher.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »
The Royal Bangkok Sports Club plays outside over, and within an active horse track.  Its short and a little tight, but its a fun little course, especially with the hospitality!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bangkok,+Thailand&hl=en&ll=13.738614,100.537841&spn=0.011818,0.021136&sll=39.83385,-74.729004&sspn=4.782755,10.821533&oq=bangkok&hnear=Bangkok,+Thailand&t=h&z=16

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Royal Durban, much tougher test than Duban C.C.

http://www.sa-venues.com/golf/kzn_royal.htm

Bob

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Here are a few early American courses:

1.  Coronado:

2.  Newspaper GC aka Tecumseh GC (also known as the Harlem Jockey Club, course by J. Foulis):

3.  Washington Park Club:

4.  Wheaton GC:

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »
Tom D. -

The Brickyard Crossing course has 4 holes within the oval of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the "Indy 500."

DT  

David,

I just looked at the aerial of this course, and noticed that one of the holes inside the speedway is horrific.  It has atleast 20 pot bunkers down both sides of the fairway and then a few scattered by the green.  Have you played this course?  What's up with that hole?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
I think Ascot and Epsom might have courses close nearby, although maybe not necessarily 'within the rails', and I recall seeing a pro tournament earlier in the year from South Africa, was it maybe held in Durban (?), where some of the golf course seemed to be inside the horse racing track.

No course within the rails at Ascot, but there is one next door (I don't know anything about it) and Swinley Forest is just a couple of miles away. There is a training area adjacent to the course.  A perfect sporting day for me would be to have a winner at Ascot and then a late round at Swinley.

Santa Anita municipal golf course is quite close to the track, and there actually was a race course on the golf course property.  Both it and Santa Anita Park are on land that was part of Lucky Baldwin's ranch.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »
http://www.mychiangmaigolf.com/index.php/lanna

Lanna Sports Center in Chiang Mai Thailand has three 9s.  Course 3 starts inside the infield of a horse track.  Holes 1&2 are in the infield.  3 tee is inside and plays out side along with holes 4&5.  6 tee is outside and you hit back into the track infield where you finish up the 9.   The viewing grandstand is between holes 5 and 6.

par 36.  3289yd from the tips.

pretty cool

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
Alex L. -

Sorry, I have never been to Indianapolis and know nothing about the course other than what I posted.

DT

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 03:11:06 AM »
No course within the rails at Ascot, but there is one next door (I don't know anything about it) and Swinley Forest is just a couple of miles away. There is a training area adjacent to the course.  A perfect sporting day for me would be to have a winner at Ascot and then a late round at Swinley.
Ascot has a cricket ground inside it, I have played there several times.  My recollection is that there were golf holes inside the rails but that was over 20 years ago. 

Looking at a Google Earth picture of Ascot, the cricket ground is still there but it looks as if the golf holes are NLE, though you can see where they were.  I assume the golf club (to the East) added new holes outside the rails.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:48 AM »
I believe the Crown terminated the lease for Royal Ascot GC about 10 years ago.  I also think the Crown provided new lease land for the club to build a new course next to the old one.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 03:42:00 AM »
Tauranga Golf Club in the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand has a number of holes within the boundaries of  the local race course.

Micah Woods

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
Royal Ascot moved from within the course quire recently: http://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/the-club/

I think Warwick Racecourse also encloses a golf course of some sort.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
Tom D. -

DT  

David,

I just looked at the aerial of this course, and noticed that one of the holes inside the speedway is horrific.  It has atleast 20 pot bunkers down both sides of the fairway and then a few scattered by the green.  Have you played this course?  What's up with that hole?

Alex,

I have never been there either, but check out Matthew Sander's course tour here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49194.0.html

The hole is question is the 9th. It certainly looks bizarre from an aerial, but on the ground it seems like a reasonable hole, and the appearance is not nearly so bizarre.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
Some really good international selections. Thanks to all.

That's a nice amusing Keslo story Martin and Sven, great to see those old maps, many thanks for posting them. Interesting how some of the holes inside the rails at Newspaper GC - what an unusual name! - played over the jumps!

I think there may be golf courses at the horse tracks at Wincanton and Market Raison in the UK and there's horse racing and golf at both Linfield Park and Goodwood.

One aspect of golf courses within the rails of horse tracks is a lack of trees. I guess this is because the horse racing folk like to be able to see their horses run all the way around the track so any trees are kept low to aid visibility.

All the best.

Jim McCann

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »
I'm just reading Pat Ruddy's Rosapenna book (featured on another current gca thread) and he mentions on page 58 the Leopardstown
Golf Centre in Dublin, which is "located in the middle of the city's horse race track".

I've been surprised at the number of golf courses in the modern era that still share facilities with the horse racing fraternity.   

Carl Johnson

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Courtesy of a lurker, this letter to the editor appeared in Golf Digest, March 1964:

NO MAGIC GOLF CARPET IN BAGHDAD

We thought your readers would enjoy hearing about our golf experiences
in Iraq where my husband is stationed at the University of Baghdad.
The course is located in Mansur City, a suburb of Baghdad and was
built in the center of the Mansur race track. There are nine holes
with 18 different tees for a total of 5,672 yards at a par 70. There
is not a blade of grass on the course. The tees are packed sand, the
fairways are sand, and the greens are called "browns". Putting is
somewhat easier but fairway shots, pitching and chipping are extremely
difficult since there is no bite at all. The rough is exactly that and
is covered with a prickly plant called camel thorn. Green fees for
non-members are 98 cents and caddie fees are 56 cents for 18 holes.
One of the interesting rules on the back of the scorecard reads: "a
ball coming to rest on or near a desert rat hill or a mound of manure
or loose earth stacked for maintenance of the racecourse, or in a
horse's hoof mark or desert rat hole or scrape, or in a hole made by a
bird, may be lifted and dropped without penalty."

Signed,

Suzanne Grove
Baghdad, Iraq

Doug Siebert

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 01:09:26 AM »
I recall playing one in Ireland with my dad on the day of our arrival on my first visit, but I can't for the life of me remember where we stayed that first night.  It may well have been the NLE one at Tralee mentioned by BMS.  I remember it was a nine hole course, it was fantastically windy that afternoon, and I believe there was at least one hole outside the confines of the track - across the track on the far side from the grandstand.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back