News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: GCA Outing: Can you break a 100 on a US Open course?
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
Richard,

When there's nothing on the line, the task is easier.

Add an element of risk.

Ie.  If you don't break100 you forfeit the $ 1,000 you put up.

jeffwarne

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »
Richard,

When there's nothing on the line, the task is easier.

Add an element of risk.

Ie.  If you don't break100 you forfeit the $ 1,000 you put up.

Patrick,
As you know that's not pressure.
Pressure is putting your score up on a scoreboard (or GCA forum).
Witness any club championship qualifier.
Once you drive it in unplayable rough a few times and it starts to add up, the fun begins, and the fairway looks about 1 yard wide.
Or have a 4 footer slide by 4 feet a couple times and your head starts extrapolating all kinds of bad numbers.
Many would rather forfeit the $1000 than post the actual #.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Lang

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
 8)  Shiv, did you account for the billy goat factor at CB?  It ain't Il bro... 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
I propose that most strokes over your handicap buys the first round.  Any takers?  (Please tell me Garland is coming  ;D)

Michael,

How come you didn't calculate first round drink buyer?

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »
Rich,

A big thank you for setting this up. As you could probably tell, I enjoyed it very much even without being able to reach the 4th and 14th fairways from the tee.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
So, what'd everybody shoot?

WW

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »
So, what'd everybody shoot?

WW

104 (101 ESC)

John Kirk

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »
We had two groups teeing off at 6:22 and 6:33.  The first group was Rich Choi, Brent Carlson and two of Brent's friends.  The second group was Ben Sims, Garland Bayley, Mike Essig and John Kirk.  I was tired, and not interested in grinding out a best score.  But I hit a few good shots, made a couple putts and shot 86.  Brent Carlson shot 85.

I estimate the greens were stimping about 10.  For the most part, the greens were pretty smooth, and greens speeds were fairly consistent from hole to hole.  Some pins were set up in easy positions (back left on #15), while other were very difficult (front right on #14).

A few more thoughts later.  To summarize, it was very difficult, mostly because of the extreme length.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:38:49 PM by John Kirk »

Ben Sims

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
99, with a 46 on the front.  Disaster on the back 9.  Tap in birdie on 521yd #5 (played as a par 4).  The funny thing is that 1, 11, 12, 15, and 18 were all playing 20-50yds shorter than their tip-out yardage and the course still played 7627.  

Analysis at lunch afterwards involved 3 common themes.  

1)  The pros are going to hate it.  The walk is brutal in some spots to use the back tee--combined with what is already a tough walk--and some of the shots will be so out of character for them.  I think the course is going to get beat up in the press pretty good.  It may remind some of the press for Kiawah last year.

2)  The greens need to get in better shape.  This isn't to say that they were in bad shape.  And I very much like how the greens play at Chambers.  I think they are on par with 2 of the four courses at Bandon (PD and BD).  But expectations agronomically will be sky high (as they are for any major).  Eric Johnson has his work cut out for him.  

3)  There are a few places where shots can end up that would be "off the golf course" at usual tour events.  Instead of re-teeing or hitting recovery shots from predictable areas, I think some guys are going to be in crazy unpredictable and brutally difficult recovery situations.  I know we all like that sort of thing around here, but the pros will hate it.  It wil be like Oakmont in that respect, but without the shield of history or a prominent membership to protect the course from bad stuff being said or written.

All-in-all, it is borderline silly at 7600+, but I think it's going to be a very entertaining open.  I also think it will be the first and last one Chambers ever sees.  Which is very unfortunate.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:18:56 PM by Ben Sims »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 03:36:19 PM »
99, with a 46 on the front.  Disaster on the back 9.  Tap in birdie on 521yd #5 (played as a par 4).  The funny thing is that 1, 11, 12,  

1)  The pros are going to hate it.  The walk is brutal in some spots to use the back tee--combined with what is already a tough walk--

Good. I wish we could make them walk back 100 yards on every hole every week. Maybe they would get on the bandwagon for a ball rollback!

I have often wondered if you could route a really great course with the friendliest, shortest walk from green to members' tees, and then a hike back to every championship tee. I think that would be PERFECT. (I know, I should have done this with my AAC entry...)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
All-in-all, it is borderline silly at 7600+, but I think it's going to be a very entertaining open.  I also think it will be the first and last one Chambers ever sees.  Which is very unfortunate.

I disagree with the silly statement. It has generous fairways. I could not reach #4 fairway with the tee shot, but the site of that hole would easily allow adding more fairway back towards the tee. I could not reach #14 fairway from the tee (I managed to drive it down the walking path. It rolled off the mowed grass to slightly taller grass.). Unfortunately the site of that hole would not allow adding such fairway. I think it will still be an excellent hole for the tour pros. I absolutely love the hole from tees I have played there before. Admittedly part of that love is from the hole giving me a big advantage with my normal shot.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:00:15 PM by GJ Bailey »

Ben Sims

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »
Garland,

I meant that the golf was silly for us normal folks at 7600+.  For the pros, it will be just fine.  I think the golf course plays beautifully from 6500yds. 

It was a lesson in why "tee it forward" isn't such a bad thing.  Getting your money's worth on the tips is a foolish way for generic golfers to play. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
I have wondered if the USGA picked Chambers Bay and Erin Hills because neither place has anything to lose by hosting the Open at unprecedented yardages.

WW

Garland Bayley

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
I meant that golf at Chambers Bay for us normal folks at 7600+ is not silly except for #14, where they have no way to extend the fairway back to accommodate us.

It is well documented on this website that I think tee it forward is silly.

Richard Choi

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
Thanks to everyone who came. I hope the experience was positive overall.

I was surprised at how little difference it made from my normal round. My regular tee, navy, usually plays to about 6800 yards (though it is listed at 7000, they usually move many of the tees up. Usually it was a matter of using one lower lofted club on approach. The holes where the added distance really affected play were as following;

#3 - I really liked the back back tee which made the hole play more like a true Redan, by requiring a long iron instead of 9 or 8 iron.
#6 - Usually a driver/3w 9/pw hole. I had to hit a 4 hybrid after a 310 yard drive.
#10 - Usually a short 350 yardish hole, that turns into a bruiser at 450. It actually takes most of the fairway bunker out of play for me.

Other than these holes, my approach to each holes were not significantly different from my usual day. But it is mentally exhausting to battle three 500 yard plus holes in a row.

PS. They put us up forward from the very back tees on a few holes. CB can easily stretch another two or three hundred yards from where we played.

PPS. I ended up shooting 99 mostly due to my horrific putting (40 putts), and 5 attempts to get out of the bunker at 16 after putting the ball off the green. Not too pretty.

John Kirk

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

I disagree with the silly statement. It has generous fairways. I could not reach #4 fairway with the tee shot, but the site of that hole would easily allow adding more fairway back towards the tee. I could not reach #14 fairway from the tee (I managed to drive it down the walking path. It rolled off the mowed grass to slightly taller grass.). Unfortunately the site of that hole would not allow adding such fairway. I think it will still be an excellent hole for the tour pros. I absolutely love the hole from tees I have played there before. Admittedly part of that love is from the hole giving me a big advantage with my normal shot.

Ben and Mike reached the 14th fairway.  Garland hit a low liner down the line of tee boxes.  I pull-hooked my drive long and left into the massive waste area bunker.  Ben hit a towering fade into play.  Mike hit a nice solid drive down the middle, which carried the waste areas by perhaps 10 yards.  At that point, the landing area is about 20 yards wide.  Ben and I figured Mike carried the ball the equivalent of a 245 yard drive on level ground.  Maybe 240, though Mike thought it was 250.  For professionals who carry the ball 255-260 yards off the tee, this will be a tight tee shot.

The penalty for missing is enormous.  I landed in a deep footprint.  Since this waste area is littered with these footprints, I took advantage of a local rule to place my ball on flat sand.  It still took me two to get out, after a bad first attempt.  

Most importantly, the waste area is way below the fairway, maybe 20-30 feet, and it took me a good 5-7 minutes to find a good place to enter, play my recovery shots, and return to action on the fairway.

The tee shot looked impossible for mortals, but the worst part was having to walk so far up to the back tee.  My guess is the USGA will play the hole most days from the second tee box, which doesn't require quite such a difficult green to tee transition.

In general, the thing I enjoyed least were the few difficult green-to-tee transitions. Going from #3 to #4 is not too bad, but #11 to #12 to #13 to #14 to #15 are all either long or tough.  Walking from #7 tee to #9 tee, and then the awkward hike down to #9 green and #10 tee is another difficult walk.

We had two older players in our group, me and Garland, and though we did not play fast, we played purposefully throughout the day, trying our best to move along reasonably.  It took us five hours to play the course, a combination of walking difficulty, plus the time spent hitting recovery shots from severe terrain.  Rich Choi's group, who was younger and as a whole, better players, finished in 4:30 in front of us.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
Searching for balls in the rough is a time consumer at the course. Unfortunately it would be a suicide mission to ask someone to mow the rough. I suggest all sand waste area and generous use of Roundup. ;D

David Kelly

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »
How long did it take you guys to play?  I ask because I was there a few weeks ago and the pace of play was brutal.  5:00 - 5:30 rounds.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
How long did it take you guys to play?  I ask because I was there a few weeks ago and the pace of play was brutal.  5:00 - 5:30 rounds.

Post #65.

By the end, there was no sight of the group behind the second of our groups.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »
Props to Rich Choi for organizing the event.  It was very interesting playing CB at 7700.  Also it was great to see Ben, Garland, John and Michael. 

Despite being 7700 yards, the course did not seem that long, even with wet fairways.  Modern equipment is truly amazing. 

Some observations:

- #1 - I like it much more from the back tees.  The short tees bring all the trouble into play.

- #4 - It is certainly a bigger risk to try and reach the green in two.  With the far right pin it makes no sense going for the flag.

- #5 - The back tee makes the hole easier.  No longer does one drive into the wasp-waist area of the fairway.

- #6 - After a poor tee shot I had 270 into this par 4.  Better not miss one when the tees are back...

- #8 - From the back left the tee shot suits the eye much better than forward.  It calls for a draw.

- #9 - Still not feeling this hole, even after hitting it to 7 feet from 228.

- #11 - Check out the back back tee, up on the hill.  It's one of the coolest tee shots I've ever seen.  Depending on the wind direction the USGA will use this tee for The Open, really cool.

- #13 - I still can't get on this green in regulation.  Good luck to the pros.  The green is still severe for a par 4.

- #14 - It's a big carry to the fairway - probably 265.  The pros will reach it with ease IMO.

- #16 - Does this green need minor reshaping at the back?  I've seen many putts go into the bunker.  From there you're looking at double or triple.

Overall it was a pleasure.  The conditioning should continue to improve as we near The Open.  Good to see everyone.

John Kirk

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Riffing off Brent...

#1 - No opinion on the back tee.  I always thought it was a manageable but tough 450 yard opener.  It will play as a 540 yard par 5, and will be one of three easiest holes, along with #4 and #12.

#4 - Brent must hit it far.  I hit two good shots and had a 7-iron in.

#5 - It does not make the hole easier for me.  I played all the 500+ yard par fours as par fives, except for the 5th, where I hit a decent drive and had 228 yards left to the center.  From there I hit 5-wood and kind of chopped it up.

I do not like the changes to the 5th hole, with the new pinch point bounded by the waste areas, which are a huge penalty.  For average Johnny, the pinch point makes it more difficult, and also eliminated any thought of playing to one side or another, which given the Lion's Mouth green style, is a downer.

I like the changes to #4 and #13, but not #5 or #7.

#6 - I had about 230 in, after a 240 yard drive, but a bad approach angle.  You have to long and left for a nice angle.  I decided to hit 7-wood, trying to end up directly in front of the green.  I went five yards too far, and was unwilling to try and flop it off tight turf to a tucked pin.  Putt, putt, putt and putt equals double bogey.

#7 - In a previous round a few years ago, I distinctly remember using the big backstop on my second shot, though my playing partners insist this was not the case.  From a reasonable tee, say 450-460, I can cut the corner with a 225 yard carry, and leave myself 170-190 yards uphill.  I remember hitting a big 5-iron left, making sure to not come up short, and having the ball kick down onto the green for a two putt par.  The modifications, a small trough between the green and slope, make this impossible.  The current green is pretty wild, though the group behind hit three nice approaches to two putt range.  From the back tees, I played it driver, 6-iron, 8-iron.

#8 -  I disagree.  I liked it straight on better.

#9 - The pin was in an impossible position, unless you were almost exactly pin high.  Ben was pin high, 45 yards right, way down in the quarry, and got up and down.  I hit 7-wood to 35 feet and three putted over a big ridge.  A player with left-to-right ball flight has no chance here.  If I had to play again I would hit 4-iron or 5-iron.  The walk down to the hole is a pain in the ass.

#11 - My only problem with the new 11th tee is knowing which fairway to play.  It's a bit undefined back there, but fun once you get there.  I played that one well, with driver, 5-wood, sand wedge to 30 feet and made the putt for birdie, I mean par.

#13 - Looks much better.  Nice hole.  Nice and wide, which is good.  Don't miss right.

#16 - With the pin back, you must play short and hope for the best.  I tried to punch/roll a 5-iron in from 189 yards, and hit a terrible flip that reappeared on the green about ten seconds later.  Two putt par.

Garland made a great play on #16.  He was 3-4 yards left of the edge of the left greenside bunker, and putted it precariously along the bunker ridge.  At one point the ball was less than a foot from the bunker.  If he pushes the putt at all (he's left-handed), it's in the bunker.  The ball rolls over the ridge down to 20-25 feet, and makes the putt for a great up and down.

Everybody made a few great plays.  I don't know what Michael Essig shot, but he is very solid from tee to green.  He was the most consistent.

#17 - I think the front pin (we were playing a back-front-middle X 6 configuration) is the easiest, and I wish I had tried to hit 4-iron here.  I told myself I would hit a lot of 7-woods.  The pin was in a typical back to front bowl here, and par was possible here.  I made a bogey.

Alright, that's enough until more comments are made.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
You guys are sadistic  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
#7 - In a previous round a few years ago, I distinctly remember using the big backstop on my second shot, though my playing partners insist this was not the case. ...

Correction, the two newbie partners insisted. The old timer remembered it just like you did. Left and long came back nicely.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2013, 11:07:49 PM »
Garland made a great play on #16.  He was 3-4 yards left of the edge of the left greenside bunker, and putted it precariously along the bunker ridge.  At one point the ball was less than a foot from the bunker.  If he pushes the putt at all (he's left-handed), it's in the bunker.  The ball rolls over the ridge down to 20-25 feet, and makes the putt for a great up and down.

I think I ended up a bit closer than 20-25 feet, but that is no matter. The thing that was impressive is the bunker edge is at right angles to the green, but of course is rounded at the end. Getting the ball inside the slope into the bunker on that rounded end turned the ball towards the pin and allowed it to end up much closer than coming straight out. I didn't plan to get that much break around the corner, I just played as close as I dared to the bunker, and got lucky.

If you are wondering about why I was putting, that is because not even Lefty could have pitched to that narrow rear tongue of the green with no protection for going into the bunker on the other side. And, the bunker on the other side is serious business.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:13:29 PM by GJ Bailey »

Richard Choi

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
Let me join in on the party!

I probably hit about as long as the very short hitters on the tour, so here is what those guys will face when US Open is playing at 7600+ yards.

First, a few caveats. The course is playing pretty soft right now. Chambers have been watering far more than they have in the previous years. I believe this is to get the fescue healthy enough to apply the chemicals to kill poa. Course is probably playing much longer than it will for the open. But to compensate for that, the rough has been cut and they are sparse enough that they really don't pose too much challenge except for a few spots. I did not lose a ball during the round and that is probably very unique for any US Open course.

The greens are running about 9 right now. They are rolling smooth, but very difficult as downhill putts are very fast and uphill putts are very slow. I had a lot of problems getting the speed right (hence the 40 putts). They will probably get it up to 11 or so for the Open. That will be extremely difficult with the internal contours here.

Here is my hole by hole blow.

1st, par 4/5, 559 yards (yardages are from the specially printed score card for the day) - This hole will play as a par 4 and 18th will play as a par 5 on calm days. When the typical SW winds are blowing, this hole will be a par 5 and 18th will be par 4. I hit a poor drive, but most people will not be able to carry the first hump to get to the speed slot, and will not be able to get to the green in two. If they are smart, they will hit the second shot to about 100 yards out where there is a flat area and chip up from there. Playing to head wind, this will not be a birdie hole.

2nd, par 4, 404 yards - I hit a 3 wood and I suspect almost every player will hit 3 wood or iron here as the fairway pinches in from the left severely about 270 out. Hit a 9 iron from there. If the pin is in the front half of the green, this is a must birdie hole. The hole is much more difficult if the pin is in the back.

3rd, par 3, 208 yards - I hit a 4 iron off the tee (poorly to short right) since we had a bit of headwind. I am guessing most pros will hit 6 iron and up. This will be a great hole with a tailwind as the only way to stop the ball on the green would be to land it short and run it up, but if it is not precise, it will be rejected back to the front bunker. A front right pin will be almost impossible to get close.

4th, par 5, 568 yards - During the AM, I saw Peter Uihlein hit Driver, 7 iron to the green from about 30 yards short of this tee (this hole plays about 60 feet up from tee to green). With a favorable wind, I think most long hitters will reach the green in two. Must make birdies here.

5th, par 4, 490 yards - The start of a brutal stretch of par 4's. This is the SHORTEST of three! I hit a good drive, but it just ran out of fairway and rolled into the bunker on the right. If the sand is soft (when dry), this will be a very difficult hole. When sand is wet and compact like Sun, it is not too hard to hit out. I hit a 4 iron out of sand to left side of the green. I think most pros will probably end up hitting Driver/3w and mid-iron.

6th, par 4, 505 yards - As mentioned earlier, this is rather a benign par 4 with a great green normally, but from the back tee, it is a ball-breaker. I nutted my drive and hit it 300+ to almost ideal line, and I still had 195 to the green. This is a pretty severe green and surroundings, and trying to hit it from that far close will be very difficult.

7th, par 4, 508 yards - This is the longest of the three where you must climb 50+ feet to get to the green. For the most pros, a good drive will leave them about 170 yards to 220 yards to the green where you need 2 extra clubs. There will be many at US Open who will not reach this green in two. John is correct, there used to be backstops (two backstops in fact). The back part of the green used to be two mini punchbowls where you can play long and let the ball feed back to the hole as long as you chose the correct bowl. That is all gone now with most of the green surrounded by collection areas. You take your 4 or 5 and move on here.

8th, par 5, 610 yards - From the regular tees, this is straight as a board, but from the back tees, it is a dog leg left. Because the fairway runs pretty hard from left to right, this will be a very very difficult fairway to hold if you cannot hit a draw. If you can hit the fairway, you should be able to get a birdie.

9th, par 3, 227 yards - The flag was place right in the middle of the green, and it is probably THE TOUGHEST pin to get close to on the green as it is surrounded by various ridges running around it. The only way to get it close was to hit a draw into the sideboard just before the first spine and let it trickle over, which Brent performed BRILLIANTLY to 7 feet. I hit a pretty darn good 4 iron and was about 25 feet away.

10th, par 4, 436 yards - I normally don't like to hit a driver here as you bring so much trouble into play, but from back here, a driver is probably a safe play for most. I pulled a driver hard to the left dune, but had a great lie and hit a 5 iron to the green which I was lucky to hit. You will either par/birdie here or get a double or triple.

11th, par 4, 500 yards - They had us playing from the "up" tee, but we moved to the back tee (538 yards) which gives you a GREAT view the dune in the middle of the fairway. From this tee, you MUST choose which side of the fairway you will play. Just a great, great hole from here. A pretty good drive to the left and I had 235 to the green, into the headwind. I hit a 3 wood which I hit thin and barely missed the green.

12th, par 4, 246 yards - They had us moved up, but I doubt that US Open will ever play this short. This hole is certainly reachable for me from about 270 yards and I expect this hole to play from 280 to 310 yards. Brent and his friend hit a great drive, but ran through the green and got stuck high in the rough which made it impossible to chip it close to the green on the high plateau. This is a must birdie hole for the competitors.

13th, par 4, 534 yards - This used to be the regular back tee as a par 5. Now it is a par 4. I almost have no chance to hit this in two, and only the longest hitters will hit this green in two with regularity. I played it as a par 5.

14th, par 4, 521 yards - An epic cape hole. I was afraid I would not be able to reach the fairway from this tee, but I was pleasantly surprised when my thin, weak fade drive found the fairway (BARELY). Short hitters will have to bail right of the bunker which will leave them a downhill 210+ yard approach to the green. Big hitters will get the speed slot and will have only a short iron in.

15th, par 3, 172 yards - There is actually a 240 yard tee that they did not use for this event. From here most pros will hit 9 iron and up and hope that there is a bit of headwind to help them hold. A definite birdie hole from here.

16th, par 4, 425 yards - A great tee with a 180' view of the sound, including the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Most pros will probably hit 3 wood or lower and have a short iron into a diabolical green. Anything that goest past the middle of the green will be impossible to hold. The safe play is to leave it short and to the left.

17th, par 3, 218 yards - The closest thing to the level or uphill par 3 at Chambers, and also the best par 3 green here with multiple great pin positions. I hit a 4 iron and went through the green. Most pros will probably hit 6 or 5 iron here.

18th, par 5, 541 yards - Again, they moved us up from the very back tee which tips out at about 620 yards. It really makes little difference as my strategy is to hit short of the bunkers on the left and hit 4 iron from there to a 8 or 9 iron distance. The hole is innundated with bunkers and is not really that much fun to play anymore.

Even at 7672 yards, I don't think the pros will have too much difficulty getting around, but scoring will be tough as it will be very difficult to get the ball close to the pin. If pros start going low, they can always add another two or three hundred yards to the course just by changing the tees.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:56:27 PM by Richard Choi »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back