News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Sean Leary

Re: GCA Outing: Can you break a 100 on a US Open course?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »

My score always explodes. I'm talking relative explosions to yours. ;)

No, that is what I meant. I would be shocked if you break 120!!! :)

Make it 150.

I am in.

Richard Choi

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
My guess is they will probably get it to around 8 or 9. I don't think they dare to go any higher.

Richard, They should be trying to mimic the stress of Open conditions. 8 or 9 sounds way too slow. With only two years to go, each June will be a learning experience.

Adam, even for US Open, I don't think they are going to set it up faster than 11 or 12. The greens have too much movement to go any faster than that, and remember, these are pure fescue greens.

It looks like we are on our way for at least two foursomes. Sweet!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
I just played a course permanently in the majors rotation from the tees that will be played during the tournament (except par 3s which were under mesh).  They were setting up the grand stands which was kind of annoying.  The greens were slower than I expected and the length fit my game pretty well.  I have played the course before when it was not in tournament condition and shot about the same.  I'll stick with LPGA tour settups.

Ben Sims

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
I just played a course permanently in the majors rotation from the tees that will be played during the tournament (except par 3s which were under mesh).  They were setting up the grand stands which was kind of annoying.  The greens were slower than I expected and the length fit my game pretty well.  I have played the course before when it was not in tournament condition and shot about the same.  I'll stick with LPGA tour settups.

Why be so bashful, just come out and say it.  You got to play Oak Hill. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Ben, #7 green is shaggy because it is a brand new green. It will probably stay that way for the entire year.

Ben Sims

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
Rich,

Yeah, I was aware of the change.  I don't dislike what is there now.  I just wish I would have gotten the chance to see it before.  In fact, a ton of the changes I knew about weren't that big of a deal when I saw them in person. 

I am looking forward to some of the par changes. 

Doug Siebert

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »
This sounds like fun, too bad it is the weekend before the 5th major.  Maybe someone can talk a course closer to home into doing this next time they host the US Open, like Erin Hills?

Richard - I hope you'll have some interesting tales of futility to share with us the following weekend :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

David Lott

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:44 AM »
I tried this at Carnoustie. The results were not pretty.
David Lott

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

Why be so bashful, just come out and say it.  You got to play Oak Hill. 

Mission Hills site of the Kraft Nabisco Championship next week, or as I now prefer to think of it the Masters of the LPGA (even though the Evian used to be a "masters" then dropped Masters and will be the 5th major but it's not in NE).

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
Richard,
I have to back out. I have a charity event the next day.

William_G

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »
I am interested.
It's all about the golf!

Michael Essig

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
I am in.  I just put it on my calendar.  Matt has to work, so he is probably out, althought if it is later in the day, he may be able to make it after work.

I am making the bold prediction, that with the help of my new driver, I can break 100.  If I can stay in the fairway, it is possible, and I am finally hitting it straight again off the tee.  I will know more in eight days at the conclusion of my "6-courses-in-6-days-Essig Family 2013-golf-year-opening whirlwind".

I propose that most strokes over your handicap buys the first round.  Any takers?  (Please tell me Garland is coming  ;D)

It will be nice to see you again Richard.  Looking forward to it.

David Ober

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
I am in.  I just put it on my calendar.  Matt has to work, so he is probably out, althought if it is later in the day, he may be able to make it after work.

I am making the bold prediction, that with the help of my new driver, I can break 100.  If I can stay in the fairway, it is possible, and I am finally hitting it straight again off the tee.  I will know more in eight days at the conclusion of my "6-courses-in-6-days-Essig Family 2013-golf-year-opening whirlwind".

I propose that most strokes over your handicap buys the first round.  Any takers?  (Please tell me Garland is coming  ;D)

It will be nice to see you again Richard.  Looking forward to it.

I have an aunt that lives in Seattle. She said that me and the wife are welcome to come up and stay. I'm almost certainly in.

I will shoot between 76 and 83.  ;D

Michael Essig

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »

I have an aunt that lives in Seattle. She said that me and the wife are welcome to come up and stay. I'm almost certainly in.

And for the back nine?  ;D

To put it in perspective and if my failing memory serves me, the average score in the US Am was 77 during the stroke play portion.

David Ober

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »

To put it in perspective and if my failing memory serves me, the average score in the US Am was 77 during the stroke play portion.

I will shoot between 77 and 83.  ;D

Michael Essig

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

I will shoot between 77 and 83.  ;D
Choi, put me in his foursome!  We have never met, but I am looking forward to meeting you and experiencing your excellence first-hand.  Break 80, and the drinks are on me (no matter what Garland shoots ;D).

Richard Choi

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »
Sweet. It will be good to see you again Michael. I am pretty positive you will break 100...

So far I have,

Me
Victor
Ober
Essig
Leary
Sims
Carlson - I am assuming you are in

Maybes:
MacEwen
Garland
MWP
Grieve

Most likely, we will be teeing off around 11AM...

Should be LOTS of fun :)

Michael Essig

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
Sweet. It will be good to see you again Michael. I am pretty positive you will break 100...

Richard, I appreciate the confidence.  New driver, new irons, and new wedges this year, so I am expecting good things.  FYI, these Cleveland 588 wedges are amazing; I can spin back a range ball landing on the range's astroturf; now I know how pros do it!  New equipment with fresh groves!

I know Matt wants to play, so we just have to wait and see if he can get-off work at Tumble Creek for that day.  They only work a very short day on Sunday anyhow, so it probably won't be an issue.  Count him as a maybe, and I will let you know when he works out his schedule.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »

Richard, I appreciate the confidence.  New driver, new irons, and new wedges this year, so I am expecting good things.  FYI, these Cleveland 588 wedges are amazing; I can spin back a range ball landing on the range's astroturf; now I know how pros do it!  New equipment with fresh groves!

I know Matt wants to play, so we just have to wait and see if he can get-off work at Tumble Creek for that day.  They only work a very short day on Sunday anyhow, so it probably won't be an issue.  Count him as a maybe, and I will let you know when he works out his schedule.

You should see my new Wishon wedges. I can spin back short 30 yard pitches.
Cleveland learned everything they know by copying Tom. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
I propose that most strokes over your handicap buys the first round.  Any takers?  (Please tell me Garland is coming  ;D)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:04:38 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
 8) we played CB three years ago, has the rough really grown in???  will it be like stringy knee high hay?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Pat Burke

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 01:41:16 AM »
Story time from a sick guy that can't sleep.
When the US Open was at Torrey Pines,
I was out of tournament golf for 7 years.  Was teaching,
and for some reason, was playing a bit.  Bunch of charity rounds
and playing lessons.  It got to the point, I was shooting some 
crazy good rounds.  An unofficial 62 at Wilshire (couple of gimmes early from my host).
A customer golf (more gimmes) 63 at Dos Lagos, close to work.  And quite a few low
9 hole scores.
I thought about entering US Open qualifying.  I was driving it so good, I thought, what the hell.
I went to TOrrey before entries were due (hosted by local big shot), played pretty well, and shot
about 74.  Greens were not that fast, rough was pretty damn tough, but most importantly,
there was no "TOURNAMENT TODAY" signs anywhere!
I realized, that I was playing well enough to qualify, but honestly had no chance of shooting under 77
in the Open conditions.  Not long enough

Carr Harris

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »
I played a tipped out (Essentially we played every hole from the furthest point back on the teeing box) Oakmont 3 days after the open in '07 as a six handicap at the time

I shot 44 on the front and thought to myself "At least it can't get any worse than that"

I shot 56 on the back.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
I played Bethpage Black the Tuesday after the open in 2002, let's just say it was quite an ugly sight and I am a 5 handicap.

One cool aspect of playing that Tuesday, was they had not as of yet taken down the bleachers so hitting you ahem, "second" shot into the green surrounded by bleachers was a helluva lot of fun.

Richard Choi

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
I sent out PM to everyone, but in case you didn't get it...

I need to send in the final list of players for the outing. Please confirm whether or not you are coming for this event. The course is playing firm and fast right now and we have had a pretty wet spring. June condition will be pretty severe if they want it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back