News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_McKenzie

Oldest Resort Courses in the U.S.
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
So many of the top resorts in the U.S. that have stood the test of time feature golf courses designed during the golden age of architecture.  I'm fortunate to live in the same town with one of these- the Sea Island Resort, and the golf dates back to the 1920's with a Walter Travis design followed by Colt/Alison.  I'm guessing there are older courses at other resorts, so what is the oldest resort course in the U.S. that still exists?  Does anyone know the first resort to add golf as an amenity?

Bill_McBride

Re: Oldest Resort Courses in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
Not sure of their early dates, but the Homestead and the Greenbriar come to mind. Pinehurst too.

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
The course at Poland Spring is from 1915, Donald Ross.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45774.0.html
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »
Leatherstocking Golf Course (Cooperstown, NY) is part of the Otesaga Resort, designed in 1909.

http://www.otesaga.com/leatherstocking-golf-course

Nigel Islam

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
Is Kebo Valley a resort course?

JNagle

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
The golf course at the Omni Bedford Springs was constructed in 1895.  Original remnants remain after the 2007 rebuilding of the course.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
Del Monte?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Will MacEwen

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
The Balsams started in 1895 - not sure when they first had golf.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
Hotel Champlain GC (nka Bluff Point Golf Resort) - 1895 - A. Findlay, remodeled by Tillie in 1916.  The Annual Guides note the course as the third oldest in the U.S. (this is inaccurate) and the first constructed by a resort hotel (this is debatable).
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »

The original 9 holes go back to A. Fenn in 1896, but I'm not sure that that even makes it the oldest hotel/resort course in Maine.

You could make a pretty good argument for Palmetto (1892), as it was a winter retreat for many of the folks from the Northeast.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Travis Dewire

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:51 AM »
Omni Bedford Nice !!!!

Omni Mt. Washington - 1906 hotel, A Findlay 9 holes at, or shortly after opening. Ross 18 holes 1915. Silva and Cornish Mt. Pleasant 1989. Silva massive renovation Mt. Washington Course 2008.

Balsams built 1912.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 06:22:16 AM »
Hey sorry . Silva "restoration" in 2008

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
    The Homestead (not Upper Cascades) lays claim to the longest running first tee in America.

D_Malley

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »
The Poconos in PA has a few really old resort courses.
Not sure of the exact dates, but all are early 1900's.
Maybe someone else can provide dates

Pocono Manor
Water Gap, formally Wolf Hollow
Buck Hill Falls

Steve Wilson

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
"The 18-hole "Waumbek" course at the Waumbek Country Club facility in Jefferson, New Hampshire features 5,874 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 71 . The course rating is 68.0 and it has a slope rating of 107.  Designed by Willie Norton, the Waumbek golf course opened in 1895. Golf Management, LLC manages this facility, with Larry Fellows as the Golf Professional."

If this quoted from the golf course site information is correct, then the golf course has outlasted the resort for which it was built.  There was a large hotel on site probably through the 1920s.  I only know of this place because my hickory brassie (used extensively at Streamsong Red and Blue) was made there sometime between 1910 and 1920.

Not a grand hotel or great resort, but a neat little bit of trivia for this thread.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:07:26 AM by Steve Wilson »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
The 18-hole "Waumbek" course at the Waumbek Country Club facility in Jefferson, New Hampshire features 5,874 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 71 . The course rating is 68.0 and it has a slope rating of 107.  Designed by Willie Norton, the Waumbek golf course opened in 1895. Golf Management, LLC manages this facility, with Larry Fellows as the Golf Professional.

If this information is correct, then the golf course has outlasted the resort for which it was built.  There as a large hotel on site probably through the 1920s.  I only know of this place because my hickory brassie (used extensively at Streamsong Red and Blue) was made there sometime between 1910 and 1920.

Not a grand hotel or great resort, but a neat little bit of trivia for this thread.

Galen Hall in PA falls under this type of situation. Namely, where a course outlived the resort/hotel under which it opened. I forget the specific history but I think the Findlay version is credited at 1910. I'm not sure if this was original or there was something already on site at that point.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
Definitely not the oldest, but Spencer Penrose contracted with Donald Ross to build the course at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs which was completed in 1918. Unfortunately you cant play the original 18 the way it was routed. RTJ added an additional 9 to each Ross 9, and the result is what they now call the East and West courses.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

How about the Grand Nine at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island built in 1901?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
I think Aetna Springs is going to win this one.

The resort opened in 1873, with golf being added some time between 1891 and 1893.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
"The 18-hole "Waumbek" course at the Waumbek Country Club facility in Jefferson, New Hampshire features 5,874 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 71 . The course rating is 68.0 and it has a slope rating of 107.  Designed by Willie Norton, the Waumbek golf course opened in 1895. Golf Management, LLC manages this facility, with Larry Fellows as the Golf Professional."

If this quoted from the golf course site information is correct, then the golf course has outlasted the resort for which it was built.  There was a large hotel on site probably through the 1920s.  I only know of this place because my hickory brassie (used extensively at Streamsong Red and Blue) was made there sometime between 1910 and 1920.

The hotel used to be grand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
larry's son is the assistant at Mt. Wash down the street :)

Alex Orens

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
Hi my name is Alex Orens, first post. Mohonk Mountain House in New Palz, NY. Built 1897. in continuous use since. It's 9 holes 2650 middle tees. the resort is a very cool place.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »

The original 9 holes go back to A. Fenn in 1896, but I'm not sure that that even makes it the oldest hotel/resort course in Maine.

You could make a pretty good argument for Palmetto (1892), as it was a winter retreat for many of the folks from the Northeast.

But was it a resort?   There was a big hotel, over by the Aiken Golf Club. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »

But was it a resort?   There was a big hotel, over by the Aiken Golf Club. 

Bill:

I think it was basically a "colony community" where people built vacation homes/estates.  Kind of like what places like Kiawah and Hilton Head are like these days for the most part.

Sven

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back