News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Re: Royal Melbourne to host Australian Masters AND World Cup
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »
Too far back! I want a short shot coming in there.

I always try and get as close as possible, and left, without getting into the left greenside bunker, or the unkempt native grasses and rough left. Some days with a strong SW wind in to, the approach is long, and I find the longer the second shot, the tougher it becomes.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
I went along for a look yesterday, and the course is presented very well considering the recent weather. Greens are firm, and according to one of GCA's finest, who is an "on-loan" staff member this week, the greens ran over 12 foot on the stimp for Day 3.

It is fascinating to see the pro players there. Their club choices and lines. The decisions they make.  They too struggle with putts at times, like the members. Then the odd player gets hot occasionally, as Vijay did yesterday with 7 birdies, and eagle and a bogey.

Adam Scott has shot 67,66,66. Hope he can put another 66 in there today - he'll be tough to beat should he post another 66 today.

With some wind, no rain, and a warmer Monday, it will hopefully firm up through the fairways for the World Cup, more closely representing peak summer conditions, and placing further premium on smart well-executed tee shots.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David_Elvins

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
That's about right, Mark.  Here's the photo I took from over there

If the greens are firm, that shot is almost impossible to get close to a lot of pins.  Land on the ridge in the green and you might end up 30 yards over the green.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2013, 08:07:20 PM »
Good luck with that! I'll take my chances from here...

Mark and others - how far left off the tee do you need to aim to end up here, from the tee - to get to this spot - i seem to remember this seems like you heading for left rough? is that correct?
- with the tee shot reasonably blind, do you think this is a shot someone would play of the first trip to the East course?
@theflatsticker

Bruce Hardie

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »
Adam made a very different choice today and went long and right, deliberately into the crowd line down 8W to give him a different look and lots of green to work with.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2013, 04:38:42 AM »
Bruce,

This option only exists when the pin is back left, as it was today.

Brett,

Any tee shot over the left edge of the fairway bunker should bounce forward and left, leaving something close to the approach shot shown above.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

BHoover

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
What sort of additional prep or repair work will need to be done at RM to get ready for the World Cup? Or, does the course really even require much in the way of down time to get ready for the event? I imagine that maybe teeing areas on the par 3s might have taken a beating during the Masters, but the course seems to have held up rather well, at least based on my non-expert opinion from watching coverage on Golf Channel.

I think Michael Taylor was working the Masters and will be back at RM for the World Cup. It would be great if he could chime in, but I suspect that he probably needs some sleep after a long week!

Chris Kane

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
What sort of additional prep or repair work will need to be done at RM to get ready for the World Cup? Or, does the course really even require much in the way of down time to get ready for the event? I imagine that maybe teeing areas on the par 3s might have taken a beating during the Masters, but the course seems to have held up rather well, at least based on my non-expert opinion from watching coverage on Golf Channel.

Michael will be answer better than I can, but I had a long chat to a player and his caddie last night - their view was that the greens will need a few days to recover. They were perfect for the first three days of the tournament, but weren't so true yesterday. Any imperfections are magnified around the hole when the greens are running at 13!

BHoover

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »

Michael will be answer better than I can, but I had a long chat to a player and his caddie last night - their view was that the greens will need a few days to recover. They were perfect for the first three days of the tournament, but weren't so true yesterday. Any imperfections are magnified around the hole when the greens are running at 13!

What was the size of the field for the Masters? What about for the World Cup? If those greens need time to recover, then I'm afraid to think of what the situation will be at Pinehurst #2 between the men's and women's US Opens next year!

Chris Kane

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
I think it was 120 in the Masters and 60 in the World Cup. They were cut very short for Sunday which didn't leave much grass cover.

Scott Warren

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
Chris, the player I imagine you are referring to showed massive character on Saturday, from 5-8 especially. That was really impressive to watch. My wife and mother-in-law both commented on how great it was to see. He has several new fans in our family.

Chris Kane

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
Glad he made a good impression Scott, I know his family and friends were very proud of how he bounced back from that horrendous break on 7W. Royal Melbourne in tournament conditions is a course where catastrophe can strike at any time (just ask Matt Kuchar!) - it requires a mature attitude as well as great shot making.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:44 AM »
I still ask, why do you think "3W is the most overrated hole on the Sandbelt", let alone just RM?

Ben,

I have heard or seen people haughtily mention that they base their opinion on someone's golf architectural worth by evaluating their opinion on 3 West.  It is that sort of lofty pretension I am referring to.

Why is it a 10/10 world class hole?

As an aside, I was at RM today - it isn't a great venue for the Masters unless there is a much better field that will attract more spectators.  Far too spread out and open with zero atmosphere.  Of course, much of the blame for that can be sheeted home to IMG, who are the most useless bunch of dickheads running a sporting event/organisation in the country.  They even make Vlad look competent.

Tournament golf in this country is almost finished - IMG will ensure the last rites aren't too far off.

Mark

Apologies for not replying earlier.

I never said 3W is a 10/10 world class hole.

I just read an interesting "In My Opinion" piece, titled The Short Par Fours of the Sandbelt. There is some commentary on 3W, which starts with the following sentence;

"A mere 324 metres if ingenuity, this hole perfectly embodies Dr. Alister MacKenzie's design ethos."

I must say that I agree with the author of this particular quote...  ;)

Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

jonathan_becker

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
For the WC this week, it's an obviously weak field given that it's an $8MM purse.  However, it's another week of Royal Melbourne on tv so I'm not complaining! 

Chris Kane

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
For the WC this week, it's an obviously weak field given that it's an $8MM purse.  However, it's another week of Royal Melbourne on tv so I'm not complaining! 
If it were someone else's taxes paying for it I'd agree with you.  ;D :P

jonathan_becker

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »
If it were someone else's taxes paying for it I'd agree with you.  ;D :P

Chris, I spent a shitload of money on my trip to Melbourne this past January!  So I did my part in helping you guys burden the cost. ;)

Mark_F

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
Chris, I spent a shitload of money on my trip to Melbourne this past January!  So I did my part in helping you guys burden the cost. ;)

I'm not sure that hookers pay taxes, Jonathan...

jonathan_becker

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »

I'm not sure that hookers pay taxes, Jonathan...

Hahahaha, wow!

Trust me though, part of that total purse came from me.   :)

Mark_F

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:25 AM »

Ben,

I realise that.  Ran, amongst others, does however: "An all-world medium-short length two shotter made by its green site."

Is this green site enough to make the hole all-world?

Trust me though, part of that total purse came from me.   :)

It's just as well that you came when you did Jonathan.  The purse would be a lot less now.  Good for you yanks with money to burn...

Chris Kane

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
True - divide whatever you spent by 11 and that represents the GST you paid, which goes to the state governments. I for one am thrilled that the Victorian Government is spending millions on a jamboree of golfers no-one has heard of, attended by a few dozen diehards.  ;D

Mark_F

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
I for one am thrilled that the Victorian Government is spending millions on a jamboree of golfers no-one has heard of, attended by a few dozen diehards.  ;D

Governments exist to line the pockets of undeserving businessman.  It might as well be professional golfers as property developers, real estate agents and banks.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »

Ben,

I realise that.  Ran, amongst others, does however: "An all-world medium-short length two shotter made by its green site."

Is this green site enough to make the hole all-world?

I'll stand up for it and say, yes, that green site is all-world. It defines the strategies off the tee and sometimes second (and third  :P ) shots (putts), too. There's no shame in putting defensively to a hole located anywhere on the right. It's sublimely integrated in the terrain and uses the swale to fullest degree. The bunkering is appropriate as well.

Right. Steady now with your aim, Mark -- shoot straight, ya bastard, don't make a mess of it!  ;D
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Chris Kane

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
Governments exist to line the pockets of undeserving businessman.  It might as well be professional golfers as property developers, real estate agents and banks.
and car manufacturers.

Mark_F

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
I'll stand up for it and say, yes, that green site is all-world. It defines the strategies off the tee and sometimes second (and third  :P ) shots (putts), too. There's no shame in putting defensively to a hole located anywhere on the right. It's sublimely integrated in the terrain and uses the swale to fullest degree. The bunkering is appropriate as well.

Right. Steady now with your aim, Mark -- shoot straight, ya bastard, don't make a mess of it!  ;D

Mark,

I'm having trouble arguing against such a brief yet lucid description!  We usually only get those from Professor Goodale, albeit in Latin... ;D

and car manufacturers.

Car manufacturers are far from undeserving.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
It's sublimely integrated in the terrain and uses the swale to fullest degree.

I love the greensite.  Where else do you have a short shot to a green that falls away with a dangerous swale guarding the final few yards before the putting surface? A natural feature or not, I don't care.  It intimidates beautifully as just a landform and not an actual hazard but it should be avoided at all costs.  Playing your third from there is obviously a huge mistake.

Speaking of actually playing golf....for the approach, you can fly it to the front edge and feed it, you can fly it to a yardage and hope crisp contact helps to slow it down, or you can roll the dice again and run it on the ground through the swale.  It dictates a lot in the player's mind and it definitely is in charge of the hole as far as I'm concerned.  Some way or another, your ball is passing over it or through it.  The only way to truly avoid it is to  miss long and play back up the green.  You don't hear that too often, either.  Go ahead and miss long!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back