News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Royal Melbourne to host Australian Masters
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:35 AM »
so, what is your point MM  :) - that without spending $100m on those two events golf in australia would never generate the numbers?

Did or does you client drive V8's on a track or a F1 machine with a $1 B budget? do they regularly race their Porsches or BM's of tricked up V8's down at Phillip Island? (one of the great tracks in the world)

Do you think all the kids that attended the little 'dinky' Golf Victoria event at TBGL  "Vic Open" dreamt of one day playing like the experts they watched? ...of course - that is why they attend the event - to see a sport that actually relates to something they can achieve themseleves - they can buy the same equipment (pretty much), they can play(drive) the same courses, and they can compete on a level (ish) playing field - this whole F1 vs major golf event is missing the point - golf is for the everyman(no matter the means) - that wants to try, - no matter how hard you try, without significant funding, no one can play with the big boys in motorsport.

To play with the "big boys/big girls" (that's right there is no women's event in motorsport) in golf, you just need talent.

the only thing that makes motorsport interesting to the masses is crashes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:15:25 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 03:21:24 AM »
Brett, the cynical part of me thinks sport and major events is run purely for entertainment, and exposure. The government doesn't have a care for Ing physical activity, healthier communities and exercise. It cares about branding, exposure, and providing an experience for as many corporates as it can. The GP delivers on all fronts and golf sadly does not do it as well as motorsport.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 04:47:07 AM »
The only thing that makes motorsport interesting to the masses is crashes.

Wrong, Brett.  It's the babes.

David_Elvins

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »
Brett, the cynical part of me thinks sport and major events is run purely for entertainment, and exposure. The government doesn't have a care for Ing physical activity, healthier communities and exercise. It cares about branding, exposure, and providing an experience for as many corporates as it can. The GP delivers on all fronts and golf sadly does not do it as well as motorsport.

Matt,

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that you need to spend as much on golf as the grand prix.  But in relative terms there is a case to be made for supporting golf.  The state government chipped in money to bring tiger woods out and they chipped in money to bring the presidents cup out.  Of course the figures are all a bit murky but it is not hard to make a case that the value for money spent was better than the value the state gets for the $60mil we spend on the grand prix.  ie was spending $3mil on tiger better value than spending 20x that on the grand prix.

Mark Ferguson mentions merchandise but golfer tourists buy something more valuable to the local economy than merchandise - rounds of golf.  Over $200mil per year is spent by overseas golfers each year in Victoria.  This is not insignificant and the benefits to the state of showing off our golf courses on the world stage is not insignificant.  

Of course, IMO the government would be far better using money to lure an existing tournament eg. World Matchplay, Presidents Cup, than trying to fund the Australian Masters.  

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ben Jarvis

Re: Royal Melbourne to host Australian Masters AND World Cup
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 01:03:20 AM »
The World Cup is now confirmed to be held at Royal Melbourne from 21-24 November. This is the week after the Australian Masters, and will provide an exciting two weeks of golf on what is one or the worlds truly great layouts.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 07:06:12 AM »
The World Cup is now confirmed to be held at Royal Melbourne from 21-24 November. This is the week after the Australian Masters, and will provide an exciting two weeks of golf on what is one or the world's truly great layouts.

Matt Mollica must be spewing he joined such a lousy club.  He won't be able to get a game for two weeks, which will completely throw out his wardrobe rotation.

BHoover

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
Here is one American who would be more than willing to travel to Melbourne to play a few rounds at RM. I'll be expecting the invite to arrive in the mail any day now!

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 08:30:21 AM »
Brian,

No need for an invitation. Phone the club, have your credit card handy, book a tee time. It's that simple.

BHoover

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »
Brian,

No need for an invitation. Phone the club, have your credit card handy, book a tee time. It's that simple.

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear. I'd like to play in the tournament because it would be a lot easier to convince my wife to book airfare to Melbourne!

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 08:38:12 AM »
I was going to add an "unless you're hoping to be selected in the World Cup team or invited to play in the Aussie Masters" for a laugh, but of course the laugh would have been on me!

Just like the blokes in Dumb & Dumber, it might be a million-to-one shot, but that just means there's a chance!

BHoover

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »
Brian,

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear. I'd like to play in the tournament because it would be a lot easier to convince my wife to book airfare to Melbourne! And I'm not trolling for an invite.

I cannot understand why more American pros would not welcome the opportunity to play tournament golf at RM.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »
Sean the strength of the A$ is seriously hurting the tourist economy. It will take more than a few pretty views to get people to play half way across the world to spend their money. The Post Office publish an annual travel comparison chart based on a basket of identical goods, for 2013 Spain costs £36.34 the same in Australia costs £145.28. That's FOUR times the cost for a Brit.

Cave Nil Vino

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
Only 5 days until the Australian Masters gets underway at Royal Melbourne.

I was fortunate to play at RM yesterday - it's playing great, particularly the firm greens and fescue surrounds.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
Ben,

Maybe it's slowly starting to dawn on people in Melbourne that the World Cup with its $7 million individual purse and its $1 million team purse that it's primarily an individual event.
If Adam Scott comes to the 18th needing a 4 to win the individual prize but a 3 to win the team event and the pin is tucked behind the front right bunker does he go for it or play safely left?

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 02:33:50 AM »
Ben,

Maybe it's slowly starting to dawn on people in Melbourne that the World Cup with its $7 million individual purse and its $1 million team purse that it's primarily an individual event.
If Adam Scott comes to the 18th needing a 4 to win the individual prize but a 3 to win the team event and the pin is tucked behind the front right bunker does he go for it or play safely left?

Mike

I think that's a rhetorical question you're asking!!

Wouldn't be surprised to see a lag putt too..

Chris Kane

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
Ben, it won't be firm and fast for much longer if this rain continues - it will be like watching Florida golf with better looking bunkers!

Then again, one player told me yesterday that it is still pretty bouncy despite the heavy rain on Saturday morning and raining all day yesterday.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »
Chris,

Any chance that one player is both a mythical creature and a melbourne supporter.  And that's not a tautology

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »
Who cares who is playing the course so long as I can see that gem.  My concern is how much will be shown on TV of one of the greatest courses in the world as opposed to some guys who are only concerned about money.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:41 AM »
I just looked at the guide on my TV and it appears that the Golf Channel will be broadcasting from RM during primetime today through Saturday. 

Dane Hawker

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
Good luck to the Kiwi's :) Cant wait to see the action on the tele. Love those dark, fast greens.

Chris Kane

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
Any chance that one player is both a mythical creature and a melbourne supporter.  And that's not a tautology
It was actually a different player. The player you refer to said last night that its still playing ok but has lost that rock hard quality which has been so fantastic in the last few months. This tournament will be nothing special unfortunately.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
Au contraire, Chris, for Mac Heads and Saddo World archi-wonks this is as about as good as it gets. (Well, it would've been nice if they could have packed up Geoff the dino and brought him down.)

Can someone post the routing being used?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Rain, no rain, whatever.  We get RM to watch for the next two events.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Chris Kane

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
Mark, I'd argue that a true archi-work couldn't think this is about as good as it gets unless the course is playing in optimum condition.  ;)

It will still be one of the best tournaments to watch all year, but three days of solid rain this week means it won't be ones of the great Royal Melbourne tournaments. Such a shame, because it was shaping up to be amazing until very recently. Six weeks ago it was the best conditioned course I've ever seen (with the possible exception of Silloth on Solway in July 2006!).

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »
Chris,

Well, the forecast I'm reading is calling for 0% chance of precipitation from here on out. Couple that with brisk winds and I should think the fwys and greens will dry out nicely.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back