News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Streamsong 2013 GCA Outing -- Recaps and photos
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
It was quite a trip to Streamsong!

As Rich, Michael and Jerry note below, the trip had it all. From the competitive matches and Red's brutal back nine to an armadillo-catching caddie and the infamous $12 hot dogs.

I'm relieved and glad that most everything worked out sans the result of the matches. And, thankfully the weather cooperated -- as the backs of my burnt legs would attest.

Thanks to all who made the trip from near and far. I certainly enjoyed meeting you all. I'll post photos aplenty later and hope others will as well on this thread.

To whet your appetite, Golf Digest captured a few of my photos in its #GolfDigest Images of the Week feature online: 

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/reaction/2013/03/golfdigest-images-of-the-week-3.html

(Frankly, I thought others were much better...)

I just want to take this opportunity to thank Howard Riefs for arranging such a fantastic outing. Fun was had by all, and as usual, all participants could not have been more enjoyable to spend time with.

Team Blue eeked out an 11-8 victory over Team Red, even though that sandbagger, Jerry Kluger, did everything possible to put Red Team over the top (he went 4-0!!!).

I will remember the late night chat (over very stiff drinks, thanks to Chris!) with Chandler and Shaida, all the missed 3 footers from Sturges (and subsequent bunker punchings), Kluger kicking my ass even though I had the BEST front 9 of my life, Whitaker carrying me during our four-ball match, McBride's gentle guidance, Wilson's suspenders, Wharton-Palmer's miraculous ability to go up and down from almost anywhere, Fleisher's ability to pack 3 people and their luggage into a Mini Cooper, Dean's coolness, Pete draining birdies left and right, Mallard's MC Escher reference to the Blue course, and mounds and mounds of BBQ that I had no chance of finishing.

I will post some photos of folks when I get a chance.

P.S. We took a straw poll on Sat night to see which course people preferred. It was a blowout to Red - 11 voted for Red, 3 voted for Blue, and 2 thought they were equal. I must say, this was quite surprising coming from GCA crowd...

I certainly second all of Richard's remarks.
It was a marvelous weekend with a great group of guys.
Glad that Mike W recovered to meet us for dinner on Saturday night, and delighted to get the opportunity to meet gca members I have only previoulsy read about.
Super golf courses, great barbq evn if Howard and myslef wondered a little about some cartilage issues!!!

It certainly was a fantastic time and I cannot wait for the next GCA event that I am able to intend.  3 of my points were a result of having great partners who carried me around the course - Pete, Michael and Jonathan.  With respect to my match with Choi, he took dead aim at me and made certain we would play each other in the singles matches.  He had me down 3 after 10 and then proceeded to totally implode and lose 3 and 1.

I hope that I can remember half of what I learned about how to play the game from Michael.

For the rest of the attendees I wanted to point out something that I found interesting.  I remember a discussion where we concluded that Doak preferred uphill holes and I happened to be skimming through his book " The Anatomy of a Golf Course" and I found this statement: If the clubhouse is located on the highest point of the property, it automatically requires a tiring uphill walk on the 9th and 18th holes; since it is difficult to build a good uphill hole, this design cliche' should be avoided.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:36:23 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Richard Choi

Re: Streamsong 2013 GCA Outing -- Recaps and photos
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:04 PM »
Since Howard started a new thread on this, I will try to reply here...

From personal experience I think the following equation applies: Richard minus Victor=often spectacular but ultimately vulnerable  :)

Okay- fess up, who voted for which course in the straw poll.

How was the experience/vibe of the group staying in the Clubhouse?

TD refrained from the uphill finisher at Dismal...he just made the 18th green a mile and a half from the clubhouse  :)  Can't do that everywhere.

Dang, Chris, you know me too well...

I voted for Red. I believe both courses have similar shot values and amount of fun. I prefer Blue greens more, but Red is spectacularly beautiful at times and more memorable. I just have a hard time remembering holes on Blue and the lack of any visual markers in the horizon (and the lack of hole number indicators on every tee box) hurts the memorability factor. I also believe the #10 and #11 on Blue are probably the weakest holes on the entire resort.

One interesting personal note... I think I lost about 8 balls the first time I played Blue. I lost 2 or 3 on Red (both rounds). The second time I played Blue I lost about 4 balls (I lost 2 balls on #7 after hitting the green on both rounds!!!). But the third time I played Blue, I did not lose a single ball (even though I would have lost a ball on #7 (AGAIN!) if I didn't get plugged just short of the green).

I think that is the result of better framing off the tee box at Red. The target point and places to miss are more obvious on Red. It takes a few rounds to figure that out on Blue. This may be a big factor in why folks prefer Red over Blue. Perhaps the opinions will change if they play more rounds.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:54:48 PM by Richard Choi »

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
More importantly, how was the damned $12 Hot Dog?

Dry.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
There you go.. opinions, Rich didnt like number 10 Blue and it was probably my favourite par three along with the sort of Eden on the red number 14 I think it is.

I hope that I dont get suspended off the site for having a difference of opinion with Rich.
I only mention that because I was banned for a month off golfwrx this morning for defending my coach and what we are working on over some other teacher on there that appears to have "zelit" like status, who I incedently used to work with and had very nice things to say about!!!
Strange thing is that the other teacher in question lives two doors down from me here in Texarkana and I have known him for over 15 years...some very sensitive people out there ???
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:40:23 PM by Michael Wharton-Palmer »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
Assorted photos from the trip. A couple learnings:

- A fast fading sun results in great photos of Red 16 (my new phone screensaver)
- Sometimes the best shot is from your fairway to another hole's green
- Michael Wharton-Palmer has a superb finish

CLUBHOUSE

View from the back

...and the putting green

Mysterious white Sentra left without keys for 3 days

Who is that in my room?

Sundown on Thursday

DINNERS

Friday at Smokin’ Joe’s BBQ (MWP is at the far left, wondering about the odd cartilage in the ribs)

Saturday at the Clubhouse (Wilson, Whitty, Kluger in foreground)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:45:44 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Here are mine...

Hanging out at the bar, talking about how dominant Team Blue was...

(from left to right: Jimmy Chandler, Michael Whitaker, Jerry Kluger, Howard Riefs, Evan Fleisher, Steve Wilson, Dean DiBerardino, Bill McBride, Pete Pittock)

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
Jerry Kluger telling Jonathan Mallard how he kicked my ass...

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
The other side of the bar...

From left to right: Jonathan Mallard, Victor Santodomingo, James Dean, Chris Shaida, Michael Wharton-Palmer, Bill McBride, Chris Sturges

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »
The smoker!!!

And what came out of it...

The gang...

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
Hanging out at the man cave...

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
Jimmy Chandler teeing off at Blue (#5?)

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »
Chris Shaida recovering from the bunker.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
BLUE COURSE

View from Mt. Doak; Blue 18 and Red 7 in the distance

Evan leads it off for Team Red

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:26:08 PM by Howard Riefs »

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »
Here is my favorite shot of the week... (Vic from the greenside bunker on Blue #13?)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
BLUE COURSE

Whitty's miracle par save

Laughable location for a rake (Edit based on above: VIC!)

View from Red 12

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:12:12 PM by Howard Riefs »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »

Blue #3

Howard Riefs

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »
NATURE DIVERSION OFF RED 12 TEE BOX

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:38:12 PM by Howard Riefs »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »

#3isnt it?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
RED COURSE

Dean

Shaida

Looking across the lake to Red 5

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:28:18 PM by Howard Riefs »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
RED COURSE

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:08:30 PM by Howard Riefs »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »
RED COURSE

The beastly #15 in the distance

View from behind right greenside bunker

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:07:51 PM by Howard Riefs »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
RED COURSE

Great movement in fairway

Bunker right

Friday sunset

MWP on Sunday

Sunday pin in the swale
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:08:08 PM by Howard Riefs »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
RED COURSE

Red 16 and Blue 7

Farewell
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:30:29 PM by Howard Riefs »

Michael Whitaker

Re: Streamsong 2013 GCA Outing -- Recaps and photos New
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:19:50 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

Re: Streamsong 2013 GCA Outing -- Recaps and photos New
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:21:22 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back