News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

Seeking vacation recommendations (Tampa / St. Pete)
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Our family is headed to the Tampa/St. Pete area in 3 weeks for spring break.  We're staying within a couple of miles of Dunedin Country Club, which is a very nice Ross (in need of some restoration work) that I have played and plan to play again.  I have a friend from Orlando who is recommending we meet up at Sara Bay Country Club in the Sarasota area.  It is also a Ross.  What kind of feedback do you all have for that course?  Any other recommendations (other than Streamsong which I've just visited) within an hour of St. Pete?

TS

J_ Crisham

Re: Seeking vacation recommendations (Tampa / St. Pete)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
Ted,  Old Memorial is pretty solid and just a nice experience. Great clubhouse and lunch. The Concession is another option. A bit of a drive but well worth it is Mtn Lake.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:55:14 PM by Jack Crisham »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
Our family is headed to the Tampa/St. Pete area in 3 weeks for spring break.  We're staying within a couple of miles of Dunedin Country Club, which is a very nice Ross (in need of some restoration work) that I have played and plan to play again.  I have a friend from Orlando who is recommending we meet up at Sara Bay Country Club in the Sarasota area.  It is also a Ross.  What kind of feedback do you all have for that course?  Any other recommendations (other than Streamsong which I've just visited) within an hour of St. Pete?

TS

I've heard decent reports on both Sara Bay and Palma Ceia (Tampa)... nothing that'll blow your socks off but good, solid, old-school Florida golf.  probably a 6 on the Doak scale.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
World Woods is an hour away in Brooksville. Well worth a day trip to play both courses. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
WOW! 4 responses and nary a Streamsong plug... did I miss a memo or something?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »

You sure did!  ;D

Ted, off the course take your family to Crabby Bills in Indian Rocks Beach.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »

TS

Ted, I've played both Sara Bay and Palma Ceia (both are DJRs) in Tampa.  I much preferred Palma Ceia.  Hard to believe he (or should I say Bendelow  ;) ) fit 18 holes onto 82(!!) acres.  The recent resto/renovation by Bobby Weed is well done and has been well received.

Here is the review I posted on GCA: http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2013/01/palma-ceia-golf-and-country-club-tampa.html

I also have reviews of Old Memorial and Concession that I posted on GCA, but it seems like you want classics.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »

Ted wrote that he was already there.

Any other recommendations (other than Streamsong which I've just visited) within an hour of St. Pete?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
If you're willing to go to World Woods, you'd be willing to go to The Dunes. Best Art Hills course I've played. If the turf is still semi-dormant, it can be really fun. Only one hole with water on it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Will Peterson

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
If you have the chance, play Sara Bay.  I've played the Florida Open and USGA Mid-Am Qualifier there. 

Greens and surrounds are a challenge, and it's a fun course on a rather plain site.  There really isn't much movement to the land, and much of it is flat.  It's a second shot course.  The fairways are tree lined, but it isn't too difficult to find them.  Being in position for your shot to the green is what is important.  Missing greens slightly or in the wrong place can lead to big numbers. Unlike many Florida courses, you shouldn't lose a ball, but you may still have some big numbers. I haven't played a Ross with so much back to front tilt on the greens. 

It also has a lot of history.  I remember reading that Bobby Jone's helped in its development, and he and Hagen played a bunch of winter matches there.

It's a course that I always look forward to returning, and don't pass up an opportunity when one comes my way.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
Juliette Falls in Dunellon.  

http://juliettefalls.com/golf/1.html

Oops, I think it's a bit outside your hour window.  :-[

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:29:50 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »

Any other recommendations (other than Streamsong which I've just visited) within an hour of St. Pete?

Well color me embarrassed and my reading comprehension called into question.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »

Well color me embarrassed en mijn begrijpend lezen in twijfel getrokken ( x2).

Will that do? ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »
 8) without a doubt, take in

Tex-Mex Cantina
on 60 Causeway, just barely west of Tampa Airport

and

The Dali Museum‎
1 Dali Boulevard
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
(727) 823-3767

thedali.org‎

just south of Al Lang Field
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:06:47 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »
Juliette Falls in Dunellon.  

http://juliettefalls.com/golf/1.html

Oops, I think it's a bit outside your hour window.  :-[

It might be outside the hour window, but WELL worth the drive.  This is a world class course that IMHO before this great economic downturn would be very private and in huge demand.  Times sure have changed. Going to Tampa area this spring for a 7 day reprieve, 2 rounds a day for a week.  Juliette Falls is a definate.   Other courses to consider are Lake Jovita, World Woods, Southern Hills, The Dunes, and the two courses at Saddlebrook resort.  And this is just a sampling, so much amazing golf that way, the list could go on and on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back