News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Ohio GCA gathering
« on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »
I noticed that the DC and Chicago area guys are planning gatherings. I would like to suggest that those of us from Ohio should do the same. I know that there are a number of us in central and NE Ohio, but it should not be limited to those areas by any means. Hopefully this seemingly endless winter will come to a close soon and we can actually get out to play some golf.

Anyone interested in putting together something this year?

Ryan Taylor

Re: Ohio GCA gathering
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
Brian,

I'm interested. However, I would be coming down from the Detroit area. You may want to contact Evan Fleisher. He put together a Cleveland area GCA gathering in 2011.

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
I like it Hoover!  I would love to meet any GCAers in Columbus and anywhere else around the Buckeye State.  Detroit, too.

Tim

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
Is there a Midwest Mashie organized yet? This could turn into it.

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »
I am definitely in and would be happy to help organize.  Hoover and I play a fair amount together and could arrange something at our place.  I am sure we could set up some other solid spots as well. 

Well done, Mr. Hoover. Let's do it. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »
In!

Let me know how I can help...or participate...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
In!

Let me know how I can help...or participate...

I haven't given any thought to details (where, when, who and how). But I think it would be fun to do something.

I also would not be unhappy to see this winter come to an end...and to see some sunshine.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »
Granville might be a fun location and the price is right...

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
I spent a lot of time in Columbus for work and might be able to make it.

Michael George

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
I am definitely interested.  I would be willing to set something up in northeast Ohio.  I am always willing to host at Sharon GC (1:30 minutes from Columbus), but don't know the amount of interest that creates. 

The course that more people in this group need to see is Brookside CC, which should be in every magazine's top 100.  Only Golfweek has it ranked currently.  A couple of members used to be very active on this site and may be willing to help out.     

Let me know what I can do.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
I know a couple of western New Yorkers who are willing to make the trip, so long as it's not to that fish hatchery at Thunderhill.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
I'll plan to be there.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
Brian,

I live near Grand Rapids, Michigan – depending on location and timing, I would love to attend...

Chris,

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
So it looks as though there is real interest, not only from my fellow Buckeyes, but also from our neighbors (no Steeler fans allowed...j/k). I suppose that I volunteered to organize something since I started this thread.

I'm obviously open to any ideas, but personally I would love to do something in NE Ohio. As Michael George so correctly pointed out, Brookside CC in Canton is fabulous. Kirtland and Canterbury also would be great choices. The trick, of course, would be figuring out how to get on those courses. I could probably ask my pro to set up rounds, but I'm not sure how many guys I alone could get on at one time. Perhaps if we pool our reciprocal rights? Or, we find a willing and generous member to host us? 

On the public side, Granville outside Columbus is great...well, at least the 14 holes Ross holes that weren't bulldozed under are great.  In NE Ohio, I'm not sure what some good options might be, mostly because I haven't lived there in 15 years, but there surely are some options.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, any assistance in organizing likewise would be welcomed.

Maybe, just maybe, we could even convince Jonathan Becker to join us and tell us about his trip to Australia????

Bill McKinley

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
Gents,

I definitely have an interest in getting together.  It depends on the timing but I would love to make it.

As for a venue, I think it would be tough for me to make Canterbury happen the way I would like for it to.  The numbers would most likely be limited to 3 groups at the most and on top of that, we will be doing a Spring aerification once the weather breaks.  But, I won't rule it out and I'm happy to listen to ideas as this gets closer to happening.

Keep me posted!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »
Depending on the date and place, I'm interested. Would be coming up from Cincinnati. Would need to make a couple of arrangements.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
I'm in if my schedule will permit!

Tim Rooney

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
Another Columbus player interested!

Brian Finn

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
A couple of months ago, there seemed to be a good amount of genuine interest in an Ohio GCA event.  I've been fortunate to meet some really great guys via GCA through group outings like the Midwest Mashie, an awesome meetup in Pinehurst, and being hosted at some of your local courses.  So, I am volunteering to organize an event.  Let's sort out some details, and I will get it moving along.

1 - Where?  
I am completely open, but since I am in Columbus, it will be easiest for me to organize here.  We can arrange play at some pretty solid local courses.  Granville (45 mins east) is public...we could also arrange at least 3-4 groups at my home club (Brookside Columbus).  There are some other good choices that would be very doable as well.  If anyone has a strong preference or would like to volunteer their city/club instead let me know.

2 - Date?
I am proposing the weekend of 7/20-7/21.  That will provide enough lead time to properly arrange it.  How do these dates look for others that are interested?

3 - # Rounds?
I am thinking of a Saturday afternoon round, dinner/BBQ/cookout and then Sunday morning round.  Obviously folks can add rounds locally or while traveling, or join for just one of the 'official' rounds.  

4 - What Else?
I am just putting out feelers now and based on responses received, I will make the details official and then line up attendance.   Please reply to this thread, PM, or email me with any thoughts, ideas or to participate.  

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:56:13 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
Columbus is fine with me. I'd prefer the weekend in July. June is a bit of a mess, and that's also Father's Day weekend which makes it a bit tougher for a lot of people to get away I figure. It's also US Open weekend, and while I'd never choose televised golf over real golf, I'd still like to see Merion.

I'm with you on the Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning format and I'm also a big fan of BBQs.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brian Finn

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »
Columbus is fine with me. I'd prefer the weekend in July. June is a bit of a mess, and that's also Father's Day weekend which makes it a bit tougher for a lot of people to get away I figure. It's also US Open weekend, and while I'd never choose televised golf over real golf, I'd still like to see Merion.

I'm with you on the Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning format and I'm also a big fan of BBQs.

Good point on the father's day weekend / US Open weekend.  The July date will likely be better for many of us for either/both reasons.  Thanks.

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
I guess I sort of dropped the ball on this one after I raised it in the first place.  My bad.  I'd probably be down for a Saturday/Sunday in Columbus in July. 

But I'd also be interested in checking out some other places in Ohio, independent of this particular weekend.  If anyone is interested, let's set something up. 

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
That July date won't work for me if it isn't in Cincinnati, but don't let that deter you all.

I have to get in as much golf as possible in June or July for varying personal reasons. I might be able to do something again in September or October, but August will surely be out for me. If any one wants to get in a round in the weekend or two before that in Cincinnati, I might be able to set something up (no club currently; would just be a course around town).

Chris DeToro

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
I'd be interested in coming as well depending on the timing.  I'm in Battle Creek MI, so anywhere in OH isn't all that far...

Billsteele

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
The July dates work for me. Of course, things could change but I look forward to anything involving the Ohio GCA contingent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back