News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Marginal OT - My annual 'who's coming to Scotland' thread
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
I may be teaching grandmothers to suck eggs but if you're coming to the UK look out for 'open' competitions at any of the clubs you're planning to play.

Most clubs have 'opens' and the details are on their websites.

Singles opens, pairs opens, team alliances, mixed events, juniors as well. Quite a few clubs also have 'open weeks'. These 'opens' are excellent ways to play top courses for less £$£$ than the standard green-fee, to play courses off the back tees, to play when the course has been set up for a comp, plus you might even win a prize.

Just a thought. Wherever you're planning to play though, have a great time.

All the best

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »
Thomas you can have ten days of competitive golf at Deal for £150 in Deal Week. That's barely more than the cost of one green fee.
Cave Nil Vino

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
£150 for 10 days, that's a really super 'deal' Mark - apologies for the awful gag! - and there are so many others to be had as well, all over the UK (and Ireland), top clubs and courses too. Just a bit of web searching and up they pop. The website www.golfempire.co.uk is also a great treasure trove for them as well.

All the best

David_Tepper

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
Subscribing to the "Wee Yellow Book" for 5 pounds gives you access to the full roster of Open Competitions at golf clubs throughout Scotland.

www.weeyellowbook.com

In the Scottish Highlands, the entry fees for the Open Comps tend to be 10-15 pounds vs. a typical Visitors green fee of 30-45 pounds or more.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
I will be in Scotland some time in July and maybe even early August.  I doubt that I'll be playing any "name" courses, but I will strive to find my way to Brora,Golspie, etc.  David, the Little Yellow Book looks like a volume with a very high ROI.  Thanks for the tip.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Events in the WYB tend to fill up REALLY fast. Esp the mixed ones. Frugal we Scots are... :-)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
Wow! Four years since this one.
Some new, ehm, news for this year. After a twelve-year (eek!) 'sabbatical', I'm going to be returning to my happy hunting ground of Kingsbarns for the summer, where I'll be caddying from about mid-May until the Dunhill.
Be cool to catch up with any GCAers. If you've got a booking for KB or your travel plans include Fife this year and you'd like to meet up, please drop me a PM. Also, as always, happy to answer general Scotland questions!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

MJohnson

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »
I am in Scotland from May 7th to 18th. I play Scotscraig on May 8th then travel to Shetland and will play the three courses - Shetland, Whalsay and maybe Asta. We return to Aberdeen on May 16 and I will play a course west of Aberdeen on either 16th or 17th.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
Marty - Jerry Kluger and I will be in Scotland from May 21 until June 5. We will be in Fife May 28th- June 1. Hoping we will get to see you at some point.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
Marty - Jerry Kluger and I will be in Scotland from May 21 until June 5. We will be in Fife May 28th- June 1. Hoping we will get to see you at some point.
If you fancy a game at Elie, let me know and I'll see if I can get up.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
The most useful guide to Opens in Scotland is on the Scottish Golf Union website:

https://www.scottishgolf.org/players/club-members/open-competitions/
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back