News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: TOC - work on 17th and 2nd Holes w/ photos
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:51 AM »
I don't love the new bunkers on the second aesthetically, but to be honest the old pair weren't desperately attractive either. My main objection to them is that they won't achieve their goal. If they put the pin behind them during an Open, the pros will just fire at the flag, stick their short irons close and make a pile of 3s. They only make it really harder for us hacks in day to day play. IMO, of course.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 05:45:27 AM »
Scott

Thanks.  I like the more gathering effect for RHB, but I wish they had gone a step or two further in that direction - I am always for gathering bunkers.  #2?  Don't understand why the change is better.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »
I don't love the new bunkers on the second aesthetically, but to be honest the old pair weren't desperately attractive either. My main objection to them is that they won't achieve their goal. If they put the pin behind them during an Open, the pros will just fire at the flag, stick their short irons close and make a pile of 3s. They only make it really harder for us hacks in day to day play. IMO, of course.

The "old pair" "designed" by John Low were in fact a quadrangle, Adam.  Givein that they were interspersed with a couple of the forward tees for the 3rd hole, they resembled parts of a pinball machine rather than a proper golfing hazard.  IMVHO, of course......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Paul_Turner

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
Comparing Scott's and Ander's pics, it looks like the Road bunker surrounds are now less gathering?  More swales in the "before" image along the green edge.

Before

After

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
+1 Paul.

I always loved that NLE swale.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
Ally

It looks much flatter...have they gone and bodged it?  I thought the new work was supposed to be MORE gathering?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Scott Macpherson

Re: TOC - work on 17th and 2nd Holes w/ photos New
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
Hi Paul and Ally,

I understand what you're saying. One thing my photos don't show very well, and that has changed, and that may help the bunker gather more balls is about 3 or 4 yards in front of the bunker. They have created a small raised crease in the ground that runs parallel with the front edge of the bunker. What this little ridge does, I think, will ensure a ball running to the bunker will not stop 1,2 or 3 yards short. i.e once it gets over the ridge the ball will roll into the bunker. This was not the case before. I shot could shot a foot short of the bunker. (That did leave you with a pretty smelly shot though – particularly off the tight and firm ground)

It may be harder to putt into the bunker however. Oh how Tommy Nakajima may wish they had done these changes before his calamitous Open championship!!

scott
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:02:17 AM by Scott Macpherson »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Hi Paul and Ally,

I understand what you saying. One thing my photos don't show very well, and that has changed, and that may help the bunker gather more balls is about 3 or 4 yards in front of the bunker. They have created a small raised crease in the ground that runs parallel with the front edge of the bunker. What this little ridge does, I think, will ensure a ball running to the bunker will not stop 1,2 or 3 yards short. i.e once it gets over the ridge the ball will roll into the bunker. This was not the case before. I shot could shot a foot short of the bunker. (That did leave you with a pretty smelly shot though – particularly off the tight and firm ground)

It may be harder to putt into the bunker however. Oh how Tommy Nakajima may wish they had done these changes before his calamitous Open championship!!

scott

"The Sands of Nakajima."  Greatest line about a bunker, an angry man and his sand wedge ever. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back