News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael George

Re: Streamsong knocks it out of the Ballpark!
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Sven:

I don't like dating myself, but I lived there during the summer of 1991 in between my junior and senior year in college.  It was one fun summer (and I did not play golf once) - so maybe that is why I remember it so fondly.

Also, the hamburger was founded in Akron, Ohio by the Menche brothers.   Kind of like chicken wings in Buffalo.  Swenson's is not a gourmet burger.  If you are looking for that, I would agree with your statement.  But it may just be the best tasting burger.  Jonathan Becker - help me with this one!
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

David Kelly

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
Pink's  Bacon Burrito Dog is only $6.10 and people wait in line 45 minutes to eat that crap.
BACON BURRITO DOG
Big flour tortilla wrapped around 2 hot dogs,
2 slices of cheese, 3 slices of bacon, chili & onions

The most expensive item on the menu is only $7.10:
America the Beautiful Dog
12" Jalapeno Dog, pastrami, bacon, lettuce, & chopped tomatoes

http://www.pinkshollywood.com/pgz/menu.html

Sounds like you think they're shit hot dogs?

Love'em. Eaten there dozens of times. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
Michael:

The origin of the Hamburger is as hotly debated as some golf-related topics around here:

Louis' Lunch: This New Haven, Connecticut, burger joint claims to have invented our favorite lunchtime (and dinnertime) meal in 1900. From its website: "One day in the year 1900 a man dashed into a small New Haven luncheonette and asked for a quick meal that he could eat on the run. Louis Lassen, the establishment's owner, hurriedly sandwiched a broiled beef patty between two slices of bread and sen the customer on his way, so the story goes, with America's first hamburger."

"Hamburger Charlie" Nagreen: It's said that he started selling meatballs at the age of 15 at the summer fair in Seymour, Wisconsin. But, homeofthehamburger.org says, "Charlie was a resourceful young man with an outgoing personality. After not experiencing much success selling the meatballs, he had an idea and located some bread. He realized people could take this meal with them if he simply smashed the meat together between two pieces of bread. He called it a "hamburger" and yes, in 1885 the burger was born at the fair in Seymour, Wisconsin."

Menches Brothers: The brothers' descendents, who now operate a small chain in Ohio called, not surprisingly, Menches Bros. claim that their great-grandfather and his brother (Charles and Frank, respectively) invented the dish at an 1885 fair in Hamburg, New York. The brothers originally sold sausages but ran out and were forced to use ground beef, which at the time was considered declassé. John Menches, in a Businessweek story, says, "Faced with nothing to sell at all, they fried [the ground beef] up, but it was too bland. My grandfather decided to put coffee, brown sugar, and some other household ingredients in it and cooked up the sandwich. My great-uncle Frank served the first sandwich, a gentleman tasted it and said, 'What do you call it?' Uncle Frank didn't really know what to call it, so he looked up and saw the banner for the Hamburg fair and said, 'This is the hamburger.' "
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jud_T

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
Guys,

Try the Burger at Owen & Engine.  Three meats ground in house, including pork belly, on a fabulous homemade roll.  Have it with one of their cask-conditioned ales and you have a fabulous meal that isn't fancy by any stretch of the imagination.  If your talking meat and Ireland I suppose dirty is as good as any...  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
Headed down tomorrow with the Gentleman Mike Whittaker...wind is supposed to blow 20-30.  Might have to try these $12 hot dogs.

Michael George

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
Sven:

Good stuff.  I think the Menche Brothers story sounds the most plausible. ;D  At least that is the story in Akron, the home of Lebron James, The Black Keys, Devo, the rubberized core of a golf ball ..... and hamburgers!!
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sam Morrow

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
Just drove past James Coney Island, have $0.79 coneys tonight.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
Sven:

Good stuff.  I think the Menche Brothers story sounds the most plausible. ;D  At least that is the story in Akron, the home of Lebron James, The Black Keys, Devo, the rubberized core of a golf ball ..... and hamburgers!!

I don't think New Haven is going to put up much of a fight, after all they can claim pizza.  You might have a battle on your hands with Seymour, WI.  Its probably the only thing they're known for.

Surprised the king of all golf course foods hasn't been mentioned yet, the bratwurst.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Martin

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
I would rather have them tack $7 onto the greens fee and charge me $5 for the dog because then I wouldn't feel like I was getting my pants pulled down. With the stay and play package at $495 a night they should throw in a hot dog and a rub and tug. ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
I would rather have them tack $7 onto the greens fee and charge me $5 for the dog because then I wouldn't feel like I was getting my pants pulled down. With the stay and play package at $495 a night they should throw in a hot dog and a rub and tug. ;D

Did anybody try a hot dog?
I don't remember the beers breaking the bank, but perhaps I just don't remember........ ;)

Tim,
Nothings going to beat the food value at Shenny
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:43:49 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric Smith

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »

My first impression of the place had me wanting to order a volcano roll, not a hot dog.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

My first impression of the place had me wanting to order a volcano roll, not a hot dog.

Okashii.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Eric Smith

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
The architecture and decor of the place made an impression on me. It is a very different golf clubhouse from any I've seen and I made the comment one night that it reminded me of an upscale steak and sushi establishment. I'm sure it's just me but it felt a bit odd to wear shorts inside. It is really really nice.

Tim Martin

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

I don't remember the beers breaking the bank, but perhaps I just don't remember........ ;)

Tim,

Jeff- You are spot on about Shenny. The last couple of years they have been putting out some great stuff for happy hour as well as the standard fare. Besides the homemade chowders I have been stuck on this calamari dish they do that is super fresh and lightly fried almost tempura style and tossed with hot cherry peppers and garlic. When are you coming over?

Chris Shaida

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
...feeeling like I'm gettting my pants pulled down... they should throw in a hot dog and a rub and tug. ;D

Tim,

Timmeh - uh, I take you it you normally get it done with your pants pulled up?

Jeff - I actually did have a hot dog at SS and I can tell you it was the best $12 hot dog I ever et! BY FAR! WAY better than the $10  hot dog at The Ritz Club Trump Intergalactic Jupiter!  In fact, I'm pretty sure the donald already has a price increase in the works!

re 'value' -  can't believe you didn't mention the food 'value' at SICC!?!

Andy Stamm

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
Doesn't it depend a bit on how good the hot dog is?  Are they making their own sausages and home made brioche buns or is it an overcooked ball park frank on a Wonder Bread roll? Granted for $12 it had better be the former.  Do they at least have some good local microbrews available to wash it down with?

Even Chicago's finest purveyor of encased meat products doesn't reach this level of larceny.

Welcome to Hot Doug's!
The Sausage Superstore and
Encased Meat Emporium
3324 North California, Chicago, IL 60618

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Fleur de Sel
$10.00

"There are no two finer words in the English language than 'encased meats', my friend"

God I miss Hot Doug's... The Foie Dog is my favorite by far.

The Foie Dog immediately caught my eye. I visited what was a very good (though I imagine inferior) place in SF a couple months ago.

http://rosamundesausagegrill.com/mission-street/menu/

Fairly priced, I thought.

Rosamunde's is quite good (especially because you can take it to the Toronado which has a world class beer selection), but it's not anywhere near Hot Doug's. And I don't think Hot Doug's is really too expensive. The Chicago Dog at like $2.50 is amazing and even the more expensive ones are great value.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
Headed down tomorrow with the Gentleman Mike Whittaker...wind is supposed to blow 20-30.  Might have to try these $12 hot dogs.

A few practice rounds for Mike before the heated GCA Outing matches next month. Very smart.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Whitaker

Re: Streamsong knocks it out of the Ballpark! New
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:11 PM »
Headed down tomorrow with the Gentleman Mike Whittaker...wind is supposed to blow 20-30.  Might have to try these $12 hot dogs.

Pete and I played both the Red and Blue today. In between rounds we stopped for THE Hot Dog.

Here it is in all its glory!

It made Pete a very happy man!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:27:45 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »

Oh my.   :o

It doesn't even include sweet potato fries?   :P

And, the bun looks a little burnt.   ???

Was Pete happy because you were paying?   ;D

So, what did you think of the courses?

Pete and I played both the Red and Blue today. In between rounds we stopped for THE Hot Dog.

Here it is in all its glory!

It made Pete a very happy man!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2013, 11:32:43 PM »
Don't like the grille decor

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2013, 11:59:47 PM »
I'd say the 'grille' and the 'decor' match well.   :o ;D   

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sam Morrow

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:30 AM »
Well armadillo meat would explain the $12.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »
Mike and I played our match for the coveted $12 hot dog.  Cut it in half and it becomes 2 $6 dogs. 

Mike pulled out all the stops to win, including holing an approach on Red 5 and snaking a birdie on 6.  And there were a couple of holes on the back where I hit good shots and the balls were nowhere to be found...hmmm. :)  For his prize he chose the $16 salad instead of the $12 hot dog.

John_Cullum

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:58 AM »
Pete
At least he didn't go for the $80.00 steak
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »
Pete
At least he didn't go for the $80.00 steak

Or $17 burger!  I forgot to mention the highlight of the story. Upon arrival, Mike introduced himself to the pro shop guys, and then proceeded to talk about this thread and pulled it up for them!  Feedback in action!  We'll see if it get dropped to $11. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back