News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Streamsong knocks it out of the Ballpark!
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
There have been some 'hot' dog prices over the years, like the "One-Dog", a premium quarter-pound all-beef dog topped w/ lobster tail, saffron aioli, and gold dust that sold for $1,501.00 w/the proceeds going to charity. 

"Dragon Dogs” is a tube steak infused with 100-year-old Louis XIII cognac: they sell for $100 each.

And the Brockton Rox(Can-Am baseball team) knock it out of the park with an $80 pure breed dog that's filled with truffles and caviar, although the price of a standard mutt at major league parks in 2012 was:   

...which brings me around to Streamsong and its $12.00 version (price quote from another thread). If you buy one:  Will it be 6 bucks a bite, 4 bucks a bite, 2 bucks a bite, etc., and will you prefer to couple it up with a Sam Adams "Utopia"($100) or a Krug Grand Cuvee?  ;D

I hope this topic is taken in a humorous vein, but I do have a semi-serious question: If you buy one, will it be the highest price you have ever paid for a dog at a golf course? (Please say yes.  :) )

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Cliff Hamm

Re: Streamsong knocks it out of the Ballpark!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Jim...couldn't agree more.  Don't you love how these type courses nickle and dime you. Same deal at Bandon. Hats well over $20 , yardage book $8 (and nothing special).  All of this after you're paying more than $200.  I did have the roast beef roll up at $10 from the cart girl and it was quite good.  Seems like a bargain compared with the hot dog.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:16 PM »
Cliff,

I guess the captive audience at these remote golf locations is too much of a temptation.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
Many won't care but I can only imagine it will piss off a few. Really is piggish if truth be told.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:18:05 PM by Tim Martin »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
I had lunch on consecutive days at Streamsong a couple of weeks ago.  The burger on the first day and the Reuben sandwich on the second day were delicious, and came with some nice garnishes. But both sandwiches were $20 give or take, including tip, and all I had with them was a glass of water.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
When I was at Bandon I complimented my caddie on the Bandon hat he was wearing so I went into the golf shop to price it and it was $30.  The next day I asked the caddie if they paid full price for the hats and he said they bought them at cost - $8; that is a heck of a markup.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
Joel,
$20 each?  

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
Nothing more American than Chevy Suburban drivers bitching about gas prices.  ;D

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »
One can only put so many granola bars and power bars in a golf bag. Having a cold one and nice dog is a treat...try not to figure your gas mileage on the drive out.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »
Yes, I think the sandwiches were about 16 or 17 bucks, so with tip and tax it was about 20 dollars apiece.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
Do the rooms have refrigerators? We might bring a large ice chest.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
Nothing more American than Chevy Suburban drivers bitching about gas prices.  ;D

2005 Taurus, 30 mpg highway,  23 around town.  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
We have established why golf can not survive when if you have to ask what your hot dog costs you can't afford it.  It's a $2000 nut, enjoy it and don't sweat the details.

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
So you want well designed, compelling golf, nice turf AND cheap hotdogs!?  Sounds like our outgoing SecDef. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
We have established why golf can not survive when if you have to ask what your hot dog costs you can't afford it.  It's a $2000 nut, enjoy it and don't sweat the details.

I don't think anyone who makes the trip to Streamsong really cares what their hot dog costs.  

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
I don't watch food and beverage prices at resorts that closely, but a $12 hot dog might make me hit the pause button, sort of like the $16 tag for Ketel to the metal with cranberry. I'd have to pause after a few... ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »
The draft beers were only $5. Have two and skip the hot dog.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 12:06:09 AM »
Then just don't buy it.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 03:28:37 AM »
When I was at Bandon I complimented my caddie on the Bandon hat he was wearing so I went into the golf shop to price it and it was $30.  The next day I asked the caddie if they paid full price for the hats and he said they bought them at cost - $8; that is a heck of a markup.

Jerry , trust me as someone in the clothing game - they still made money on the sale to the caddie. Caps are cheap. I just did my club a new custom design pennant cap with 3 embroidered logo's and a cloth badge. Only did 12 dozen and they cost $3.20 each. Do 500 and you are looking at $2.20. Great items to sell because the perceived value is so much higher than the actual cost.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »

John,

As a consumer, we all get to make choices. When I wrote my initial reviews from week one of Steamsong's opening, I was very positive about the courses and the experience. I appreciate that SS gives us the choice of carrying, walking with caddy, or riding.

In two years from now, I am the "target golfer" for Streamsong as I like great golf, I am in Orlando twice a year, and I really don't make that many hardcore buddy trips just to play golf. Most people here will move onto other courses once the initial buzz fades, but I will still be around and calling Pete to make the trip.

I too prefer to just pay the price and enjoy the experience. We typically get Disney Annual Passes for the theme parks because we like to come and go at the parks without having to worry about our breakeven point. Have dinner "in France" (at Epcot) for two hours and just enjoy the experience.

Nobody is ever going to accuse Disney of offering cheap food up the road, but a $12 hot dog at Disney would piss me off. I never feel like Disney is in it for the money, and intellectually I know they are as a public company with shareholders in the USA. That is the delicate balance that Streamsong needs to find with their premium pricing model.

You can call me cheap all you want, but until I control a monopoly like you  ;), I will continue to compare Streamsong to Disney and Mountain Lake rather than Highlands Reserve or Deltona. That is a good thing for Streamsong as they would go broke quickly with Deltona pricing.

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:20 AM »
This seems like the appropriate thing to sneak in your bag:

https://www.mountainamericajerky.com/shop/alligator-jerky/

If they we're really trying to milk the beverage sales they'd be serving these:

http://www.kitchen-tested.com/2011/07/03/ghost-chili-dogs/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:00:51 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
Unrelated, We once saw a Kobe beef hot dog on a gc menu.

Do they really massage the lips and assholes?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »
As a fat drunk I a rarely pleased when receiving a bill for a three day stay. The one resort where I was pleasantly surprised on the low side was Bandon. The tax rate seemed nonexistent.

John_Cullum

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
There's always 7 Star in BJ
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
There is always the summertime alternative to the 12 buck dog at Streamsong -  bring a few raw ones and toss 'em in the rain gutter on your golf cart's roof. They ought to be done in a hole or two.   :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back