News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Non-caucasian architects
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
I use the term non-caucasian with trepidation because someone will pick me up on its misuse. It is done through ignorance. What I am asking is who were, and who are, the pick of the bunch from Japan and China, India, other Asian countries, Africa, the Caribbean and so on. We have seriously good golfers emerging from these countries, and Cornish and Whitten list a few Japanese from before the Second World War. Who has done anything significant in the past and who is a rising star now?

Ronald Montesano

Re: Non-caucasian architects
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »
Raging born-again linguist that I am, I support your use of the term and stand at your shoulder, should any of our reactionary liberals take offense.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
Brandon Johnson works for Arnold Palmer.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Did any of the noted black touring professionals of the last 50 years (Sifford, Elder, Peete, Thorpe) ever get into GCA?

The only one I could locate from earlier days was Bill Powell who built a nine-holer Clearview in Ohio.

As to Asian designers, my ignorance has historically informed me that American (read Caucasian) designers built their courses.

Interesting topic, but I suspect it's a short one, like "Best Jewish RBs"

cheers

reactionary-liberal VK
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »
Lee Trevino has done atleast one course, The Golf Club of Texas.

John McCarthy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
Gary Player.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Matt Neff

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »
The only one I could locate from earlier days was Bill Powell who built a nine-holer Clearview in Ohio.

Clearview is actually 18 holes but I'm not sure Bill Powell designed all 18.  I think there was quite a few years between the completion of each 9.  I'm pretty sure it's the only course in the US that was designed, owned, and operated by African Americans.  Pretty sure it's basically still run by the Powell family

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
Gary Player.

Explain...while not from the caucasus mountains, he's still a saltine.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John McCarthy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Gary Player.

Explain...while not from the caucasus mountains, he's still a saltine.

A bit of a joke about the absurdity of labels.  He is definitely an African.  Like Seve wAs a Latino.   
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Sven Nilsen

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
Tiger has some projects. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back