News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Colbert

What will be the first major event held at Streamsong?
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
Could it be the 2015 US Mid Amateur which the USGA has been so hesitant to announce a venue for? Perhaps a Southern Amateur? A Champions Tour event? A Curtis Cup or Solheim Cup? For those who have been, what seems like the best fit based on the difficulty of the courses and quality of amenities?

Patrick_Mucci

Re: What will be the first major event held at Streamsong?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:56:30 AM »
Brian,

It would seem to be a natural for a Mid-Am, Am, or expanded Sr-Am once the hotel is operational.

Those 3 tournaments tend to be fall tournaments and I'd imagine that late Sept early Oct would work well weather wise and rate wise

Also back to back Boys and Girls Junior

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
My advice to them was to seek out the Mid-Am first.  The Mid-Am and the Senior Amateur are the USGA events where the field is full of guys who might pay to come back and stay with their friends.

I have heard nothing about any negotiations about possible events to date.  But, sometimes I'm the last to know.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
The Renaissance Cup?

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »
The Renaissance Cup?

Nope
played in the "CEO Cup"  the week before ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
The Renaissance Cup was pretty big this year.  Sports Illustrated sent a photographer!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
BUDA XII is hereby open to offers from Streamsong, but we will insist on a 50/50 split on all Twitter,YouTube and Facebook royalties.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »
Perhaps a Junior Am?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
PGA Tour Network "Listeners Cup".
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Steffey

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
Publinx?

John McCarthy

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
Clearly the 2013 GCA Spring Training is the winner.

On a non smartass level the mid am would be perfect.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
July - mid September really isnt practical given all the thunderstorms that frequent the area.  June and late Sep/Oct are still very hot, but hit or miss on the storms (read: monsoons).  Most of the amateur events take place in August, which is probably the worst month for golf in central FL.  Looking at the schedule, the Senior Ams in late September or Mid Ams in early October would be best.  They would need to build another shelter or two if they plan on having that many people walking on the course during the rainy season.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:11 AM »
Would the NCAAs be considered a 'major event'?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
I have no idea when the resort might host a major national event, but I would say they would be wise to do some trial state level events before they jump in the deep end. In AZ we used to host the state senior four ball event and it sold out every year, the golfers seemed to have a very good time as they returned every year, and we did OK as a business as well. There are a lot of events like that looking for a home.

I would also suggest creating and hosting a major amateur event - probably at the mid am or senior am level. When you develop and organize your own event, you can do what you want, and for my money that often ends up a better event then having an outside agency come in and take over your property. Streamsong will soon have all it needs to host 250 players for a unique event. Do it in the shoulder season when the days are a little longer and you have inventory available and you'll attract northerners at the end or beginning of the golf season. From a business standpoint I'd probably try for a spring date at the beginning of the tournament season as you'd probably get some to come in early to shake off the rust. Don't pork 'em with some outrageous entry for the golf and you'll reap the rewards of butts in beds and F & B, not to mention all the positive press that comes with a well run event. If I was managing any destination resort that had good golf and lodging facilities, I'd be looking real hard at developing the tradition of a major golf event for good players.   (preferably a partner event that finishes with match play - older guys know their limitations but still want to compete and have fun)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Clearly the 2013 GCA Spring Training is the winner.

Agreed!
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back