News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Parish

Re: Is Streamsong two courses or just 36 holes?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
Played both the same day back in October.  For me, I thought they played a lot differently.  Once you realized how severe the greens were, the Blue, the Doak course, really kind of got into your head about where you might miss shots coming in.  The greens themselves were fun.  I'll echo the sentiment, whether it is actually true or not, I felt like I had more room off the tee on the Blue and had to be more accurate with the second.  Because the greens were not as severe on the Red, it seemed like you could get away with a little more coming into those greens.  I felt like the fairway bunkers came into play a little more off the Red tees.  But then again, that may have been because it was my second round and I had four hours sleep after drinking bourbon and smoking cigars with Rocky Patel the night before, but that part of it is off thread.   

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »

I played one round on each and shot skeet between the two. I would play the Blue course eight times for every two of the Red.

Well now you really pissed off Whitaker and Petey too! I agree with you, but that stretch of holes from, I think, 4-10 on The Red may be the best on the complex.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:26:41 PM by Mike Sweeney »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
How close is the Biarritz to Yale?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
How close is the Biarritz to Yale?

I was not a fan of that C&C Steamsong hole (#16, I think) but I can't hit a cut for the life of me. As Tom Doak documented last summer/fall there is no way that a modern architect would build Yale today and #9 at Yale is in the Top 3 on that list of Yale holes that are absurd, but great. I feel like the C&C Biarritz at SS demands a cut unless you play it from the shorter tees which are left/west of the back tees. Basically another lecture in half-par if you play it from the back two tees.

Also thought the #17 Red drive was VERY awkward, but loved #18. Thought the holes from say 11-15 were very good to great on The Red but as you mention, I am down there on vacation and too many long 1/2 par holes gets tiresome.

Jeez, I am friends with Pat Mucci and Jaka so that puts me on a short list of maybe 2-4 people in the universe, so how much should my opinion count in terms of weird golf holes?

JC Jones

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
You are fortunate to have your opinions not count irrespective of your friends.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »
I played the Red from the silver and the Blue from the black. I guess I got lucky because the 16th on the Red played straight away at about 195 to a back pin. I drew one in and my friend faded one in both to six feet. Don't get uncomfortable but standing on that tee I thought about you and my missed opportunities to play Yale. To boot, my caddie on the Blue was from Garden City and loves "Mr. Mucci".

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »

Did you finally play a course North of Merion last Fall? New England?

JC Jones

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »

I'm not sure there are any worth playing north of Merion.  At least not any that are better than Merion :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »
To boot, my caddie on the Blue was from Garden City and loves "Mr. Mucci".

In my business life, I have someone who refers to some guy from Jersey as Mr. XYZ and me and my partner are just "Mike and Frenchie". Really pisses me off :)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »

I'm not sure there are any worth playing north of Merion.  At least not any that are better than Merion :)

Michigan State must be so proud of you....

JC Jones

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
Well, at least I haven't turned my back on my roots, Philly boy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back