News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Is Streamsong two courses or just 36 holes?
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
From what I can tell so far from afar is that each of the holes at Streamsong could seamlessly fit on either course.  Is this an incorrect assumption?  Could Streamsong benefit from a more schizo personality?  How do other multiple course facilities compare?

Sam Morrow

Re: Is Streamsong two courses or just 36 holes?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »
Maybe they could have a Composite Course?

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
I thought the courses were pretty different.  The land that the red occupies is pretty wild and rugged.  The greens on the blue had more movement and contours.  I thought there was a nice difference between the two courses and you will have two different experiences on the same property.  Kind of like the differences at Bandon.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
Maybe they could have a Composite Course?

I asked this on one of the Streamsong tour threads.  I think the answer is nothing works too well.  

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
JK - there's been about 5 responses, so you can now morph this into a Dismal River thread whenever you want.... :D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »
I thought the courses were pretty different.  The land that the red occupies is pretty wild and rugged.  The greens on the blue had more movement and contours.  I thought there was a nice difference between the two courses and you will have two different experiences on the same property.  Kind of like the differences at Bandon.

I thought the courses at Bandon were all very different. Have not seen Old Mac. Are the courses at Streamsong that distinct from each other?  If so than my initial perception is wrong.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
From what I can tell so far from afar is that each of the holes at Streamsong could seamlessly fit on either course.  Is this an incorrect assumption?  Could Streamsong benefit from a more schizo personality?  How do other multiple course facilities compare?

The bunkers on each course look different. 

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »
In addition to bunker styles, the major difference is in the greens. Red has more broad contours while the Blue has more sharp internal contours.  Certainly more similarities than, say World Woods, but different enough that they have their own personalities.  Also Red 1-6, which feels very different than the other 30 due to more water and tighter playing corridors. Of course the reasons for that have been well documented.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:08 PM »

I'll let you know.  ;)

I'm slipping away from a Disney vacation next week to visit Streamsong. Very interested to see how it compares to Barnbougle Dunes which also has Coore and Doak courses. Barnbougle currently resides at the top of my "most like to visit again" list.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
The greens are definitely different. Red greens are more subtle, more difficult for me to read, blue greens have more movement, easier for me to read, more difficult to putt. I got tricked a couple of times by the Red greens where I was reading the macro contour and the ball didn't react like I thought it would. On the blue I really like how some of the bolder contour also had some helpers buried about. case in point being the 15 green. Had a putt from the left side to front right which had no chance of getting close because of the steep transition, but someone added a nice little deflector bump that acted as a speed bump and side board. I think there is more of that out there.

While both course have center line bunkers (favorites being 11, 18 on Red, 6, 8 on blue) I felt the Red was more about execution and Blue more about options off the tee. Finally, the par 3s are very different. I was not overwhelmed by the Red par 3s, the Blue on the other hand has an outstanding set of 3s. #5 and #7 will get the press, but #10 and #16! are very good holes.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »
Michael,

Did you say you're slipping away from Disney to play Streamsong ?  ?  ?

Where did I hear that that would seem to be a natural ? ;D

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:04:58 AM »
Two Courses.

I shall be there myself next month but my understanding is that the two courses are quite different.

The obvious characteristics are bunkering and green contours but in reading the reviews, it seems there are other factors in play also.

It is a very  interesting case study in the different styles of C&C and Doak as the site itself is quite common (unlike say Lost Farms).

Regards,

Patrick

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
Two Courses.

I shall be there myself next month but my understanding is that the two courses are quite different.

The obvious characteristics are bunkering and green contours but in reading the reviews, it seems there are other factors in play also.

It is a very  interesting case study in the different styles of C&C and Doak as the site itself is quite common (unlike say Lost Farms).

Regards,

Patrick

Good point, Patrick, about the Streamsong courses being on (basically) the same piece of property vs the Barnbougle courses. Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm are very different sites.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

I thought the courses at Bandon were all very different. Have not seen Old Mac. Are the courses at Streamsong that distinct from each other?  If so than my initial perception is wrong.

Aside from the bunkering and green contours, I thought the land on the courses was very different.  I felt the land on the Red was much more dramatic and the wild dunes from the mining process had a much bigger prescence on that course...especially during the start and the finish.  The beginning of Red plays through some of the coolest land I have seen on a golf course and finishes on 18 with this 60 foot dune that stretches 300 yards down the right side of the hole.  There is definitely a different feeling to the land on these two courses.

Blake Conant

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »
One of the great things about SS is the option to go out at twilight at find little connections on the course.  as time goes on, the ability to find these little 3 to 6 hole composite loops to end a day will be pretty popular. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »
One of the great things about SS is the option to go out at twilight at find little connections on the course.  as time goes on, the ability to find these little 3 to 6 hole composite loops to end a day will be pretty popular. 

It was my understanding that they charge a replay rate.  Is there an all day rate?

Ted Sturges

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
John,

The courses are not all that similar in how they play.  The Doak course (the one I liked best) has quite a bit more room off the tee to play.  Also, the greens are wilder on that course.  I thought the C&C course was harder, had less room to play off the tee, and had more of a chance to lose a golf ball.  I wasn't playing all that well, and I lost 3 golf balls on the C&C course and none on the Doak course.  I also considered that they could put together a "composite course", and they probably could...but the person with a keen eye could probably tell which holes belong on each course. 

I thought that the Doak course had most of the best property to work with.  I was told that Bill Coore had his pick of which land to choose and his decision was driven by choosing the property that would require the most work, in order to keep his guys working.  Not sure if that is true, but I kind of think it is. 

But for a winter get away, I think SS is going to be a big hit.  From the middle of the country, you can get to Tampa in about a 2 hour flight, and then you've got 1 hr 10 min by car.  Compare that to Bandon, which takes all day to get to.  There is great appeal in that part of the equation.

TS

Blake Conant

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
It was my understanding that they charge a replay rate.  Is there an all day rate?

Don't know how they charge, but an all-day rate doesn't seem like a bad idea.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
John,

The courses are not all that similar in how they play.  The Doak course (the one I liked best) has quite a bit more room off the tee to play.  Also, the greens are wilder on that course.  I thought the C&C course was harder, had less room to play off the tee, and had more of a chance to lose a golf ball.  I wasn't playing all that well, and I lost 3 golf balls on the C&C course and none on the Doak course.  I also considered that they could put together a "composite course", and they probably could...but the person with a keen eye could probably tell which holes belong on each course. 

I thought that the Doak course had most of the best property to work with.  I was told that Bill Coore had his pick of which land to choose and his decision was driven by choosing the property that would require the most work, in order to keep his guys working.  Not sure if that is true, but I kind of think it is. 

But for a winter get away, I think SS is going to be a big hit.  From the middle of the country, you can get to Tampa in about a 2 hour flight, and then you've got 1 hr 10 min by car.  Compare that to Bandon, which takes all day to get to.  There is great appeal in that part of the equation.

TS

Ted,

Thanks.  Given the high quality of the accommodations do you see Streamsong as more of a place you would take your chick over a destination buddy trip with four guys?  I've never gone to Kohler with my buds because it feels more like a place to take the wife.

You know my demo down here in Evansville.  Do you see me convincing my buds to forgo a Vegas trip for Streamsong?  Not to mention the great time cheap vacation Myrtle Beach can offer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
John,

TS

Ted,

Thanks.  Given the high quality of the accommodations do you see Streamsong as more of a place you would take your chick over a destination buddy trip with four guys?  I've never gone to Kohler with my buds because it feels more like a place to take the wife.

You know my demo down here in Evansville.  Do you see me convincing my buds to forgo a Vegas trip for Streamsong?  Not to mention the great time cheap vacation Myrtle Beach can offer.

Probably no gentlemen's clubs near Streamsong.

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »
Do you see me convincing my buds to forgo a Vegas trip for Streamsong? 

I heard a story this last weekend about 4 guys who were playing at Streamsong and asked their caddie to take a group photo of them. Then later on in the round they all four reach into their golf bags and proceed to change into different golf shirts and again ask to have a group photo taken. Later on, the same thing again - another new shirt, another new pic... As the story goes, they played the one round and then took off for Las Vegas, planning to send these pics to their wives as if they were on a multi-day golf trip to Streamsong!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
John,

TS

Ted,

Probably no gentlemen's clubs near Streamsong.

Not exactly next door but Tampa is known for it's generous selection of gentleman's clubs

JR Potts

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »

I heard a story this last weekend about 4 guys who were playing at Streamsong and asked their caddie to take a group photo of them. Then later on in the round they all four reach into their golf bags and proceed to change into different golf shirts and again ask to have a group photo taken. Later on, the same thing again - another new shirt, another new pic... As the story goes, they played the one round and then took off for Las Vegas, planning to send these pics to their wives as if they were on a multi-day golf trip to Streamsong!

Those guys are evil geniuses.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »

Evil enough to change the date on the image files?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Evil enough to change the date on the image files?

They've been telling that story at Bandon for years.  It's a good tale.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back